Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Life on the Edge (Alps July 16)

Pumpy

Country Flag
england
Started editing the video from our Alps trip, here's a short taster...

I asked the wife to look out the window and see how much room I had... "let me out NOW" :lol:

Then I had that "Ooooo I cut it too close, I'll have to reverse and get even closer to the edge" moment :shock:

Ouch, yes, had some trails like that in Italy
Scary stuff

Excellent!

Last time I was in a similar situation, the mrs made me reverse half a kilometre until I found a place wide enough to turn around.

Still in my case there was snow and the track was a bit slippery.

Looking forward to more edits, thanks for posting Pete.

Blimey I wouldn't fancy some of those Alpine tracks if it was slippy! We had a bit of snow, the road we were going to use was closed, the postman stopped us going up it pointing at the matrix signs and translating it to illegal unless we had chains fitted, he got a bit animated when one of our group shot past the sign, he got proper concerned so we detoured.

IMG_20160715_095409_zpsoz1nhc0u.jpg

some more photos here http://s727.photobucket.com/user/Springerpumpy/library/Alps 16?sort=3&page=1
IMG_20160715_095409_zpsoz1nhc0u.jpg.html

IMG_20160715_095409_zpsoz1nhc0u.jpg.html

Great trip!
We're going there in 2 weeks.
I'm so looking forward to it.
You think they will close roads for fire hazard?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Played fine in Romania, for what that's worth.

Excellent video, great edit (must have taken ages).

The Alps are something very special, indeed.

Thanks for posting !

Excellent

We once camped next to the Poma drag lift shown in the first minute with the dogs barking :)
Just down road from mont cenis

I see you drove the trail south of mont cenis too, we did that from south from Susa past those lovely small lakes, but had to backtrack as trail was blocked near top.

I also enjoyed seeing the rest of the trails near Demonte. Again we drove in opposite derection, and had to turn back as the trail was under 20ft of snow at the col a few km beyond the barracks and forts. We enjoyed looking around them. So nice to see the bits of trail we missed on your videos. I must go back and do the rest of that trail.
Stopped watching at that point, will watch the rest later.
Thanks for taking Time to edit and share.
Great trails

Last edited:
great vid! some of those trails look very thin...............:)

Andy, yeah I've already got that "I wanna go back" feeling too, a week is just too short a time round there methinks!

I missed loads off the video too, one of the lads is a pro film chap gave me strict instructions not to make the film too long, his 4 min timeline went right out the window tho :lol:

I shoulda had the camera on more too. Colle dell 'Assietta, Col D' Sampeyre, Col D'la Bicoco were all in pea soup fog so I never switched it on, some footage woulda been good in the vid, the fantastic tamac road down from Col d'Lzoard woulda been good too, better to drive in a rear wheel drive streetcar tho!

Ah, I was wondering if you had driven Col D' Sampeyre, Col D'la Bicoco
Didn't see them in footage. We had fog for part of sampeyre ridge drive too,
I said I would send info on trails I have driven in the area, but looks like you did them all anyway :)

if you've not looked on Wikiloc recently have a look around the area, it's getting really popular now, I get area updates almost daily with new tracks near mine, RBs will never keep up with it!

No I haven't look on wikiloc for that area since 2012, when I used wikiloc to build up my route north. From Demonte to Bardonnechia - via tracks as much as possible.
Will have to take another look

" The Wife" best life saver invented.............until they get out. Really good video.

Looks like an awesome trip! Video looks a bit hair raising, never mind driving it!!

Watching the video makes me want to go back as well!

I drove a couple of those tracks, but I think we were further south generally.

Next year will see a return, I am looking at Spain in October so funds running out!

Pumpy

I would be interested in the routes if you have them?

Pumpy

I would be interested in the routes if you have them?

Sure mate, send me a PM with an email address I'll send them over tomorrow. I've got a couple of gpx files for different days, think day 1 took us 3 days tho, so mite have been a bit over ambitious :laughing-rolling: so obviously some of the later days mite not be on the vid if we missed them. I've also got some tracker logs in gpx you could cross reference, those miss the route up to Fort Central tho as they're from a different vehicle, the valley name to Col de Tende/Fort Central is on the video which is worth doing, epic little track, can't remember the name off hand, that should be on the dayroute gpx files too tho! (if that lot's not too confusing:lol:) reckon you could wildcamp at the bottom of that track next to the river, looked an epic spot! (better than being breathless at the top of an Alp!)

Back