Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Life saved

joinerman

Garage
Walking past another unit on our ind est at dinner time a chap who does welding , fabrication, & a bit of mechanics shouted something to me which i didn't hear clearly so i went in, he was standing with his back towards a small gas space heater, chatting to him for a minuet when suddenly he literally burst into flames, oil & some thinners he had on his overalls had ignited, luckily me and another chap managed to roll him on the ground and tear his overalls off, burnt my jacket arms & my hands are pretty red and sore but not burnt, the chap seems to have escaped any serious injury but very shocked, very scary at the time.

Oh wow... :clap::clap::clap: well done JM, right place right time for him.

That could have been really nasty....

I burned all my body-hair off years ago, when I was emptying a propane bottle. Left it with an open tap upside down for 2 days, and my garage was well aired with a 1” gap under the double car width up and over door. I also left the entry door open at the back to vent it.

As soon as I lit my oxy-acetylene torch there was an instantaneous blue flash whooomp... across the floor and and all I could smell was burned hair coming out of the neck of my overalls.

A near miss that one, there’s been a few:lol:

Well done anyway, that guy could have been seriously burned if you hadn’t acted promptly. :thumbup:

Well done JM. It’s amazing how quickly things like this happen and how quickly you react and it’s passed. I’m not surprised he was shaken up. Wonder what it was that he said that made you go in? As said, right place right time.

And that's what a hero is , someone who is in the right place at the right time and spontaneously reacts for the greater good .

Well done JM :clap: get yourself a cape :lol:

Similar thing happened to me, me and a group of friends walking by a pub on a night out, I decided to go to the toilet on the way past. Just as we stopped outside the pub and started working out where to meet back up, a guy with his wife, just passed out. Turns ou he was having a heart attack, his wife was hysterical and doing nothing, as I rang 999 my mates started CPR.
The ambulance blokes said his heart had stopped and literally my mates saved his life, another few minutes and he would have been dead.

It’s said that 90% of folks that die suddenly in public have 20 horrified bystanders watching them die....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done JM. Great job staying calm and rolling him over. Earned yourself a beer today I think

Walking past another unit on our ind est at dinner time a chap who does welding , fabrication, & a bit of mechanics shouted something to me which i didn't hear clearly so i went in, he was standing with his back towards a small gas space heater, chatting to him for a minuet when suddenly he literally burst into flames, oil & some thinners he had on his overalls had ignited, luckily me and another chap managed to roll him on the ground and tear his overalls off, burnt my jacket arms & my hands are pretty red and sore but not burnt, the chap seems to have escaped any serious injury but very shocked, very scary at the time.
Fuck me that must have been a bit emotional. Congratulations on doing the right thing, a lot of people would just go into a useless flap.

I hope you don't mind but I have copied your post (anonymously) to the Hilux forum I am on. There's an important message there for anyone working on vehicles.

Update.
After the incident he insisted he was OK but he was obviously shaken, i left to go back to my unit & the other chap who's unit was next door to the incident scene hung around for a while until the victim went home still saying he was OK.
He wasn't he went to hospital where he was patched up & transferred to Stoke Mandeville burns unit with serious burns to his legs.

Update.
After the incident he insisted he was OK but he was obviously shaken, i left to go back to my unit & the other chap who's unit was next door to the incident scene hung around for a while until the victim went home still saying he was OK.
He wasn't he went to hospital where he was patched up & transferred to Stoke Mandeville burns unit with serious burns to his legs.
Crikey that didn’t take long to do that then!

Clearly that amount of burn needed hospital treatment. But while on the subject, I’ve had amazing results on small burns by breaking off a piece of the Aloe Vera plant and applying the juice. Burns that would have resulted in blistering have been gone by the following day. Well worth keeping an Aloe plant on the window sill for such occasions.

Hope your man soon recovers.

Hindsight being what it is, this was probably where had he not made out he was OK you would have gone on to cool the burn with clean cold water. Difficult when he was insisting he was OK, which I think is human nature, maybe shock.

Last edited:
The most important thing for burns is to get lots of cold water on them straight away, it’s the single most important factor in how well they will do. At least 10 minutes under running water, also helps with the pain. In hospital we then wrap them in cling film.
Generally don’t put any creams or potions on them but as starcruiser says pure aloe does seem beneficial.

How are the burns to your arms?

On the subject of burns, we've started keeping the burns gel packs in the first aid kit. I would use cold clean water as a first option but if we were somewhere where we didn't have access to that much water (when we're camping) they are, apparently, very good, although I have no first hand experience of using them.

On the subject of burns, we've started keeping the burns gel packs in the first aid kit. I would use cold clean water as a first option but if we were somewhere where we didn't have access to that much water (when we're camping) they are, apparently, very good, although I have no first hand experience of using them.
And a whole lot easier and less prickly than keeping an Aloe plant on the dash. :auto-layrubber::scared-eek:

Since being advised of the instant cold water treatment, I’ve always followed it. Burns small or large heal so much quicker and with less discomfort.

Spoke with the chap this morning, he went home after the incident and covered the sores with Savlon, skin came off almost immediately & bled a lot, that's when he went to hospital, he's lost all the skin on the back of one leg & two fingers, he's being operated on tomorrow.

Spoke with the chap this morning, he went home after the incident and covered the sores with Savlon, skin came off almost immediately & bled a lot, that's when he went to hospital, he's lost all the skin on the back of one leg & two fingers, he's being operated on tomorrow.
Ooooh I can almost feel the pain of that from here! Horrible! Skin graft I suppose?

Yes don't know where they take it from though,surely that must be sore afterwords.

Don't put savlon on burns that have blistered or broken the skin!! (Or any other cream!)

Back