Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

My budget is peanuts really! I know it can be done, but it'll be tight.

I'm looking at about $3.5k tops (including Rego if it's interstate, if it's NSW I'll get something with a pinkslip and go) Probably going to go Toyota which means an early 130 series 4Runner, as the Utes are too popular with the P-Plate Metal Mulisha boys; There are some around with 250-300k on the clock, and a mix of 22R, 3VZ-E and 3L diesel as engine options, along with some manual and others Auto. I'm keen to get an Aus spec rather than JDM import and go from there. Can't find a good 'Cruiser, and I think I'd want something more economical than my FJ73 was, and ideally about that size, so a 4Runner seems to be the best bet... or I find a N***** Pathloser...

For $1k I can get a non-running LN130 with the 3L NA diesel, in ACT, $2500 gets me a VZN130 in QLD which works and has had the heads done. Missed out on an RN130 in Ballarat with 400k on it, but they only wanted $1500. I also know of a 4 door in NSW for about $1500 with a rebuilt 3VZ-E which might be worth a look, but it's got no Rego.

What's it to be used for? Well the Oxley Rivers National Park are only about 45mins away, and I want to find an alternative to the (sealed) Great Ocean Road which I think is do-able. Mainly it'll be a dirt road tourer rather than an extreme machine; something I can lob the gear and the Swags into and get away. Friends down in Quirindi live up a 5km dirt road, and their driveway is interesting in a car at times... you've got to straddle the inspection pit in the middle of the drive that has been created by the water flowing down it! Want to spend more time around Newnes/Turon Valley as well, and I'm not far from Coff's which has some good trails, plus there's a route from O'Reillys down to the main road which looks an interesting alternative to the sealed road!

Good luck. :thumbup:

Now all the horsey stuff is finished they've got loads of building projects lined up for me. :dance:

First job is to build a big veranda on to one of the buildings in the show ground which they hire out for weddings and parties etc.

The old veranda was tiny.

P1030407_zps1fd62683.jpg

P1030408_zpsea6a8ae4.jpg

P1030410_zpsc619c281.jpg

Normally there is a really nice view out over the show ground, but on this day it was very cloudy and overcast.

P1030411_zps92c83a5d.jpg

With the old veranda removed we marked where all the stumps/posts will go and got all the holes bored.

P1030414_zps3313c737.jpg

P1030415_zps6525e2b4.jpg

One of the guys thought it would be funny to put a sign on my truck, and for me to drive off with it attached. But I spotted it before driving off!

P1030412_zpse8020efa.jpg

P1030413_zps4893944a.jpg

2??? :icon-surprised:

Was hoping for more than that! :lol:

Compliance plate/sticker arrived today.

P1030416_zpsf382b858.jpg

Drove to the compliance guy and he stuck the sticker under the bonnet and signed all the paper work.

P1030417_zpsf75208cb.jpg

P1030420_zpsd7d69382.jpg

Now I need to call up and book an appointment with Vic Roads so I can go and get it registered. Will also need to buy another unregistered vehicle permit. :icon-biggrin:

So its nearly on the road! :dance:

Good luck. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if that's a Good Luck because it's an impossible task or not?! One of the boys I know sent me a link to a little Toyota Blizzard which he thought was interesting!

Compliance plate/sticker arrived today.

P1030416_zpsf382b858.jpg

Drove to the compliance guy and he stuck the sticker under the bonnet and signed all the paper work.

P1030417_zpsf75208cb.jpg

P1030420_zpsd7d69382.jpg

Now I need to call up and book an appointment with Vic Roads so I can go and get it registered. Will also need to buy another unregistered vehicle permit. :icon-biggrin:

So its nearly on the road! :dance:

It's not quite what I was expecting to see, but it's pretty cool. Is it just stuck on? Could it be removed if you need to repaint it? I was expecting a riveted on one, like the Aus Compliance plates.

Is it worth trailering it there instead of getting another UnReg permit? In NSW you wouldn't need an UnReg permit because you're going for inspection and rego.

Last edited:
Its good luck because I wouldn't even consider buying a 4x4 in this country with that budget. :think:

But you are, and I wish you look with it. :thumbup:

There is one of those Toyota Blizzards in my local town, funny little things. :icon-biggrin:

The plate is stuck on, but I'm sure it could be removed and stuck back on if necessarily, but its unlikely I would ever need to paint that area.

The unregistered vehicle permits are cheap. It only cost $40 for a 14 day one and is worked out by how many days you want. For me to borrow a trailer and ute means that either my boss or his son will be without a ute for the 3-4 hours I will be gone. So its easier and probably cheaper to just get a permit and drive it there. :think:

Going to call up tomorrow and get it booked in and buy another permit.:icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got a bit more done on the veranda i'm building.

Got all the stumps concreted in.

P1030421_zps6f70ab9a.jpg

P1030422_zpsb9c0e0e5.jpg

P1030423_zps99cb4c6d.jpg

All the timber posts got planed and belt sanded.

P1030424_zps034b382a.jpg

P1030425_zps57d56191.jpg

P1030426_zpsa0c316dc.jpg

P1030427_zps3ad2e135.jpg

Posts fitted.

P1030428_zps1a02bb16.jpg

P1030429_zpsbb385db2.jpg

P1030430_zps27938589.jpg

P1030431_zpse192e99f.jpg

Got the joists fitted next.

P1030439_zpsefa9b4a8.jpg

P1030440_zps0b96cdfc.jpg
P1030441_zpsa4134ca5.jpg

P1030442_zps06867213.jpg

Anyway.............................back to the LandCruiser. :icon-cool:

I asked my boss if I could have some of the waffle material weve got. I explained what I wanted it for but I dont think he really understood.

P1030443_zpsb27893fd.jpg

P1030444_zpscfcd0da3.jpg

Cut it into 1100mm x 300mm strips using a 9" angle grinder.

P1030445_zps84e71bb5.jpg

P1030448_zps7a812337.jpg

Used a bungee to keep them in place for now. Might end up mounting them on the roof rack. Not sure yet.

P1030449_zpsae2d8593.jpg

Decided the gap behind the passenger seat would be the perfect place for the sub & amp.

P1030450_zps6b49cb41.jpg

Mounted it with some rubber washers.

P1030452_zpsd02bfb42.jpg

P1030466_zps68d15a2c.jpg

P1030468_zpse8c936d4.jpg

Got it all wired up and it sounds great.

P1030467_zps59ef9dd7.jpg

Found these old luggage elastic thingies in one of my boxes and thought I might be able to use one for storing hats.

P1030457_zpsf8bbc4ee.jpg

Fitted quite nicely on the roof.

P1030459_zpsa85b0bbc.jpg

P1030460_zps26605ab3.jpg

P1030461_zpse4f9348c.jpg

Found the prayer mat earlier so decided to have a look underneath.

P1030463_zps70fdbfde.jpg

I knew the rear diff was leaking, so I must get a new seal for it.

P1030464_zps44a7ea19.jpg

Didn't realize the engine was leaking this much oil. :doh:

P1030465_zpsa1a91f3e.jpg

I'm guessing its the rear main seal. :think:

Wouldn't surprise me as that was a milners seal. :icon-rolleyes:

Got an appointment for Wednesday morning to hopefully finally get it registered. :pray:

Thinking of getting a new winch next weekend and then getting out to a forest 20mins from here which is supposed to have some really extreme tracks in it. :icon-twisted:

I need to make a mount for my waffle boards that are currently mounted on the trailers drawbar, so not that handy if I don't have the trailer with me...

We've seen some very extreme tracks in the national parks and state forests. If you are going on your own, take a phone (if stuck), gps (if lost) and some extra water (if stuck and lost). There are so many tracks that some of them haven't had a car down them in a loooong time (especially the extreme tracks).

Missed a weekend of wild camping and laning this weekend with Steven, Giles and Mog, in Wales. :icon-cry:

We had intended on skyping in the evenings while they were sat round the roaring camp fire, but unfortunately Steven didn't have a good enough signal. :thumbdown:

Oh well......................looking forward to the pics. :icon-biggrin:

I need to make a mount for my waffle boards that are currently mounted on the trailers drawbar, so not that handy if I don't have the trailer with me...

We've seen some very extreme tracks in the national parks and state forests. If you are going on your own, take a phone (if stuck), gps (if lost) and some extra water (if stuck and lost). There are so many tracks that some of them haven't had a car down them in a loooong time (especially the extreme tracks).

Definitely a great country to own a LandCruiser! :dance:

Doubt I will be going out on my own. Through the 4wd club I've met some great people and I will get out on loads of trips with them. :icon-biggrin:

When I had my accident on the side of that Welsh mountain I hate to think what would have happened had I been on my own, and not had great mates with me who had loads of recovery gear and knew how to use it. :think:

Any waffle stuff left ;-)

Sure thing mate. :icon-wink:

Let me know what size you want and I will cut you some. :thumbup:

Those waffle boards, are they metal or wood, because i could swear they look like wood...

My bet is fibre glass.

Interesting to see a test as to just how much load they could carry.

Roger
I had to use a set of the 50mm ones in Croatia, they bent rather worryingly :icon-surprised: with my fully laden Cruiser on top but they did the job of bridging a gully on a steep descent and sprang back straight when the load came off. :thumbup:

There fibreglass.

They worked really well at the last Lincomb on the new rock section. I doubt I would ever use them only supported on each end. At Lincomb some of the rocks we were bridging were about 2ft apart and it worked well. Obviously they sagged slightly with the weight of the truck, but no where near breaking point. :think:

I've cut myself 4 which should be enough. I need to get a high lift wheel lifter and a new winch and then I can get out and test the new waffles. :icon-twisted:

I'd like a set of maxtrax but I dont think theyd be suitable for bridging rocks, but would obviously be better in the desert and on the beach than waffles. :think:

Maxtrax are good for grip in the soft stuff but not strong enough for bridging gaps.

Missed a weekend of wild camping and laning this weekend with Steven, Giles and Mog, in Wales. :icon-cry:

We had intended on skyping in the evenings while they were sat round the roaring camp fire, but unfortunately Steven didn't have a good enough signal. :thumbdown:

Oh well......................looking forward to the pics.
Gutted about the Skype thing not working :thumbdown: It was good to able to text each other though :icon-smile:

You did miss another classic :icon-biggrin: Spent four hours getting down 'Bar-Steward-Lane' by the Quarry camp site today :whistle: :lol:

Here's a few of the 250 photos I took to wet your appetite :icon-smile:

IMG_4299_zps96be58a4.jpg

IMG_4300_zps45d6a60c.jpg

This is a photo I took while texting you to say that we were on 'Happy Valley' heading North :icon-smile:

IMG_4338_zpsd2343eb5.jpg

IMG_4370_zps84279ca0.jpg

IMG_4401_zps53a865ae.jpg

IMG_4407_zpsdd46a6f1.jpg

IMG_4410_zps80d2864c.jpg

IMG_4421_zps95410f19.jpg

IMG_4445_zps6066def0.jpg

IMG_4543_zps7a1b394d.jpg

OH, did someone say Waffles, never leave home without them me :icon-smile:

IMG_4546_zps3a6b195a.jpg

IMG_4547_zpsc0aa8c41.jpg

IMG_4548_zps3f45d0c1.jpg

IMG_4556_zps1bfe2294.jpg

IMG_4571_zps6b137273.jpg

IMG_4572_zps84e76b6d.jpg

:icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_4299_zps96be58a4.jpg
    IMG_4299_zps96be58a4.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
A couple of points.

It is not a good idea to pick up lambs. You pass on human scent and the mothers can reject them.

If you need to use waffle boards, maybe you shouldn't have been there. The lane was obviously soft and water logged and you are causing excessive damage.

Roger

If you need to use waffle boards, maybe you shouldn't have been there. The lane was obviously soft and water logged and you are causing excessive damage.

Roger

Well it looks like i have wasted a shed load of cash on my truck. As far as I can tell,

If you need Waffles - Lane Should not be driven
If you need winch - Lanes Should not be driven
If you need tree sliders - Lane is too narrow and should not be driven, You might damage the trees
If you need Rock Sliders - Lane is too bumpy and should not be driven, You might damage the rocks
If you need a roll cage - Lane is to dangerous and should not be driven
If you use your roll cage - You must not recover yourself
Surely all of this mean that if you need tyres bigger or more aggressive that the standard ones the vehicle came with - Lane should not be driven.

Therefore do not add any of these things to your truck as any lane where you need any of them you should not be driving.

I stopped posting pics and reports of trips because tiny things were getting picked up on that unless you were there you could have no idea of comprehending the necessity.

Whilst I agree that we need to be careful in our pursuits, I do not agree that we should be forced to drive everywhere in a bubble just so we don't offend anyone.

When it come to winching and waffles you can not tell me that either of those will cause anywhere near as much damage or nuisance as spinning 33" mud tyres to try and find traction that just isn't there.

One of my favorite things about laning is sharing the photos and experiences with other users here, especially those like Marius who can't/won't/don't want to get there trucks out in the muddy stuff but whom love to hear about and see those who do, But when all I seem to be forced into doing after posting my reports or pics is to justify myself to someone who has no idea about the conditions on the ground at the time I feel reluctant to share.

Sorry If I have caused offense Roger but that's the way I feel you come across.

I am sorry to hi-jack your thread Ben but felt as though I had to say something.

Nice Pics Steven, Thanks for sharing mate.

Chris

Back