Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

If, in trying to safeguard our lanes from needless levels of damage by people who drive them at inappropriate times, I appear to be offensive, then so be it.

If I have to alienate people by pointing out the problems they cause for others, then so be it.

The truth regularly hurts and if you, and others, insist on rewriting the rule books to suit your actions, then I will criticise you.

Roger

The truth regularly hurts and if you, and others, insist on rewriting the rule books to suit your actions, then I will criticise you.

Roger

Sorry Roger but the simple fact of the matter is that the only true rule book is the exact same one that is used for Tarmac Driving. Volunteer organisations such as GLASS have set up various advisories but to go against them may get you thrown out of the club but will not find you up in court. It is advisable to do a maximum of 12MPH on a lane but remember most of these lanes actually have a speed limit of 60. In fact there is one in N.Yorks that actually has a national speed limit sign at each end (I'll see if I can find a pic.)

I am perfectly at liberty to use a winch or waffles, bigger agressive tyres and recover my own rolled truck on any other vehicular right of way. (except a motorway for obvious reasons)

Please do not misunderstand me. I do as much as is reasonibly practicable to protect the lanes I use but I will not walk 10 miles down a lane when I have a winch/waffles or other extraction tools that cause less damage than driving the lane normally.

We should not have to panda to the anti's.

The point I first made was not about causing offence but about stating the fact the "YOU" and I assume by extension "GLASS" and "Tread Lightly" etc Would have us only driving lanes that are passable in a BMW X5 on the only dry day in summer.

Last edited:
Chris.

Your comments regarding legalities is perfectly true.

The points made by the Ramblers that we should not be on our lanes is not.

But that will not stop them from winning if we consistently supply them with ammo.

Pictures in the press, which we know to be farm traffic, will win for them whatever we prove to be false.

Today's news is tomorrows rubbish.

Your last paragraph was unnecessary. You did not need to put "you" in capitals or assume my comments came from GLASS. If I was writing on behalf of them I would have stated it at the signature stage.

The comment re:- the BMW was pointless.

I will reiterate.

If you, or anybody else, puts out pictures which I consider to be inflammatory and ultimately denigrating, however "legal", then I will criticise those actions.

Roger

Now, now Girls :eusa-naughty: It's probably all my fault for posting photos without any explanation :icon-smile:

I'm sure that I've said this before on here, but I'll say it again. They say a photo says a thousand words and they probably do, but 95% of those words are wrong and misleading! A photo without title or explanation is always going to be open to misinterpretation and other peoples own opinions depending upon your own personal interests and thoughts on a subject and why not? It would be a boring old world if we all thought and felt the same about everything, wouldn't it?!

I'm always happy with all of the photos that I post on here as I don't feel that I'm doing anything that I should not be and certainly nothing deliberately or intentionally inconsiderate or illegal! When I'm away off-roading for a weekend or more I'm always polite towards the other users of the areas I'm in. Often stopping to make conversation to farmers, locals and other users alike if they have the time. Even pulling over and turning off my engine to allow them to pass without feeling intimidated my presence. Winding my window down so they can see that I'm a normal person and giving a polite nod and morning/afternoon to all.

So by way of some explanation and justification of the photos I posted here goes :icon-smile:

'It is not a good idea to pick up lambs. You pass on human scent and the mothers can reject them'

I'm sure that this is very sound advice :icon-smile: I couldn't possibly comment as I know nothing about Lambs except that they are very tasty :icon-smile: I'm sure that the farmer (Ewan) that we met on his quad bike in the lane was far more knowledgeable than all of us when he passed us the Lamb to have a close look at and photograph. It was an escapee, one of many lost souls due to the horrendous weather that they've had up there. He was a very interesting chap to speak with and they have clearly had a very hard time of it over the last month or so. There are still massive drifts all over the place and a good number of dead animals every where and not just sheep, but many other creatures as well!! In particular many badgers in one area?!

'The lane was obviously soft and water logged and you are causing excessive damage'

This lane is always soft and water logged, even in the summer its a challenge due to the stream that runs alongside it and its camber toward said stream and its slick surface. This lane is technically challenging all year round from what I understand and I guess that that is its attraction to those that like to try something a little different to the vast majority of other lanes in the area. This lane is one of only a few that I could count on one hand from the hundreds across Wales that is as challenging in nature and its why we planned to go to it and to spend the whole day if necessary navigating it. It is a legal and open lane and I'm sure that the local ROWO is well aware of the condition of it and the others like it and would stick a TOR on it in a heart beat if he felt it was necessary to carry out any repairs. The fact is that the four or five more technically challenging lanes that I'm aware of across Wales are actually not very often used compared to others. I would say that we were some of the very first vehicles to have used it this year due to the new growth in the ruts. How many vehicles do you think may have been across Happy Valley so far this year? I try to make use of at least a couple of the more challenging lanes each time I go up to Wales and have to say that I've seen more damage done to them from water erosion than off-roaders over this time.

Just my opinion though and not meant to provoke an argument :icon-smile:

'If you need to use waffle boards, maybe you shouldn't have been there'

Here I have a different opinion to you with regards to the use of Waffle Boards. I think that a carefully placed and slowly driven over waffle board is a far less damaging item than say a more aggressive mud patterned tyre or excessive use of power and wheel spin or even the possibility of a vehicle sliding off the lane into a ditch or valley requiring a far more involved recovery. Its not always possible to tell what lies ahead of you in a lane that at the start appears to be fine to be driven. Often once committed to a lane its easier and safer to push forwards with the correct equipment than to back out IMHO. There's even a point on Happy Valley that often requires the use of a Waffle Board to safely pass due to water erosion.

I have to say that I am surprised that my use of snow chains has not got some form of comment, still time I guess
:icon-smile: :icon-wink:

Why not wait till I've popped all 250 photos of the trip in the Trip Reports section, then you can feel free to express your opinion on them all if you like, I have nothing to hide
:icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
I have to say that I am surprised that my use of snow chains has not got some form of comment, still time I guess :icon-smile: :icon-wink:
SNOW CHAINS? :shock: Ooh you wanton hooligan, I hadn't noticed them. :lol: :lol: Well you did ask for it.

:text-offtopic: Guys might I respectfully suggest that we have strayed way off topic here. I know there is always a degree of flexibility in our threads, heaven knows I'm guilty of deviance, but this is too far. Can we either call it a day or take the debate somewhere else please. I appreciate it started sort of somewhere near topic with Ben being lazy and not going to Wales with everyone else :icon-rolleyes: But this is now a discussion of the rights and wrongs of laning. If needs be we can split the thread and move it.

Ta

Chris - in official capacity for once.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry Guys. This is the main point I was trying to get across

If you need Waffles - Lane Should not be driven
If you need winch - Lanes Should not be driven
If you need tree sliders - Lane is too narrow and should not be driven, You might damage the trees
If you need Rock Sliders - Lane is too bumpy and should not be driven, You might damage the rocks
If you need a roll cage - Lane is to dangerous and should not be driven
If you use your roll cage - You must not recover yourself
Surely all of this mean that if you need tyres bigger or more aggressive that the standard ones the vehicle came with - Lane should not be driven.

Therefore do not add any of these things to your truck as any lane where you need any of them you should not be driving.

And because of those points it does seem that my remark about the BMW X5 is totally not pointless. It is takeing your point of not damaging lanes to the nth degree. Choose whatever vehicle you like be it a mini cooper or a nissan micra the "point" still remains the same. You are basically saying that if the vehicle needs to be modified or you have to use recovery equipment to pass the length of a lane then it should not be driven. Maybe not you exact words but what you are saying in essance non the less. I think the term is reductio ad absurdum.

I must say that my opinion on laning follows Stevens pretty closely.

Although I am more than happy to continue this conversation I feel it would be a dis-service to continue it in the middle of Ben's Wonderful adventures. So I anyone wishes to continue to battle this out may I suggest you start a new thread in either the Green Laning trips or the lounge sections.

Chris

:text-offtopic: Guys might I respectfully suggest that we have strayed way off topic here. I know there is always a degree of flexibility in our threads, heaven knows I'm guilty of deviance, but this is too far. Can we either call it a day or take the debate somewhere else please. I appreciate it started sort of somewhere near topic with Ben being lazy and not going to Wales with everyone else :icon-rolleyes: But this is now a discussion of the rights and wrongs of laning. If needs be we can split the thread and move it.

Ta

Chris - in official capacity for once.

Sorry Chris. Was in the middle of typing when you posted.

So, Ben, any snow in Wandin yet! Head upto the snowies in June/July and send us some awesome pics. We can then send some back of our glorious summer! It's going to start early May, Justin time for Lincomb! :whistle:

Thanks for posting your pics Steven. :clap:

Really gutted I couldn't be there with you, the weekends away with you, Giles and Mog are always such a laugh! :thumbup:

If/when I'm back in the UK in a few years time Id love to time it so I get another trip away with you guys and Lincomb. :icon-cool:

No surprise that once again the topic and pics of green-laning have caused more disagreements on here! :sleeping-sleep:

Over here there doesnt seem to be so much of a problem with getting out and driving the unsurfaced rights of way, as there is in the UK. I just hope it stays that way. :think:

So, Ben, any snow in Wandin yet! Head upto the snowies in June/July and send us some awesome pics. We can then send some back of our glorious summer! It's going to start early May, Justin time for Lincomb! :whistle:

No snow yet mate. :icon-biggrin:

Were now in Autumn and its still mid to high 20's all week. :dance:

Dont worry will definitely be heading up the snow covered mountains for some camping and 4x4ing in Winter. :icon-cool:

I've got a trip away next weekend which is very close to the high country, place called Licola. Should be good. :icon-biggrin:

Id like to get away on trips every other weekend. After Licola there is a trip to Wombat State Forest that I might go on. :think:

Wish I could come to Lincomb. I said to Steven the other day on skype...............................................If I won the lottery I'd love to buy a brand new duel cab 70 series, take it to ARB and get it fully decked out. Then before Lincomb put the new 70 and my toy 70 on a cargo plane to the UK. Buy a big new Ifor Williams/Brian James trailer and trailer my toy 70 to Lincomb behind the duel cab 70! Would be awesome! :dance:

Could camp/live out of the duel cab, and off road the hell out of the toy! :icon-twisted:

Obviously afterwards theyd have to be put back on a plane and returned to OZ. :think:

Over here there doesnt seem to be so much of a problem with getting out and driving the unsurfaced rights of way, as there is in the UK. I just hope it stays that way. :think:

That's because most of the unsurfaced RoW outside of the National Parks are the main roads!

Where we'll be staying when we first touch down has a couple of ways in to it; the most fun way in is the road that is in my profile pic! It's a black road of very rich soil, so is dry weather only. It joins onto a council maintained unsealed road that loops around the area.

There is a bit of closing some of the roads in the National Parks/State Forests, but that's partly to protect fire roads for the Firies/NPWS, otherwise the routes become a bit mad for their gear in terms of safety (would you like to do some of those trails in a Isuzu NPR 4x4 with a couple of thousand litres of water in it?) The Bush Fire Brigade where I lived had a LR 130 as a Striker, which was their quick access truck, manned by a couple of people it was there to cut a fire break in as quickly as possible. It's stock height on standard tyres, so if it's got a knackered track to use then it's no good.

How are you doing on getting your truck on the road on VIC rego?

GF finishes work tomorrow, and then the packing starts in earnest!

I've been very busy building the big new veranda that were putting on one of the buildings in the show ground.

P1030469_zpsbfcab0e2.jpg

Put a line of noggings in between the floor joists.

P1030470_zpsde858419.jpg

3000 stainless steel screws later, the floor was fitted.

P1030472_zpseca28a71.jpg

P1030474_zps25f2f6a4.jpg

P1030475_zps6e68abe8.jpg

Time to build the roof next.

P1030489_zps02260cff.jpg

P1030490_zpsba7fa970.jpg

P1030491_zps41187daa.jpg

P1030521_zps876ae9b7.jpg

P1030522_zps8a7c533f.jpg

P1030523_zpse37fa303.jpg

P1030524_zpsb2fe2e49.jpg

P1030525_zps31f0fab6.jpg

Balustrade next. Quite time consuming as every spindle had to be cut to length on the chop saw, cut to width on the table saw, put through the planer thickneser, then finished off with a block plane. All 145 of them. :sleeping-sleep:

P1030534_zps852c8fea.jpg

P1030535_zps4b4202ac.jpg

P1030540_zps7f38fca2.jpg

P1030541_zpscdf92fc2.jpg

P1030542_zps37e47bc0.jpg

P1030543_zps7afeeed4.jpg

P1030544_zps3b644328.jpg

P1030545_zpse4eb5511.jpg

We worked late into the night.

P1030546_zpsdd865893.jpg

P1030547_zps0731bd5f.jpg

Anyway................................Enough of this woodwork nonsense! Time to get back to the LandCruiser. :lol:

So Wednesday I set off nice and early for the 1.5hour drive to Vic Roads.

P1030480_zpscdbc7d5b.jpg

P1030482_zpsc42677ed.jpg

Got served by a very attractive young women called Natalie. :drool:

She saw the engine number easily using a mirror and torch, but struggled to read the chassis number.
I scratched the paint and dinitrol off with a screw driver and wire brush and she was able to read it and confirm everything was in order.

20 mins later I was on my way with my new number plates and rego sticker (tax disc). :dance:

P1030486_zps0af6485f.jpg

P1030485_zps32bdd472.jpg

P1030487_zps8c80de2a.jpg

Nice steady drive home.

P1030488_zps1b1cb732.jpg

So yesterday I finished work on time (5pm, usually keep working till its dark).

When I got home and went to the workshop I noticed this beautiful 3 year old 70 series ute. I'm trying to persuade my boss to buy it, as his brother in law is trying to sell it.

P1030492_zpsa32027d3.jpg

P1030493_zps41f18005.jpg

P1030494_zps46b16940.jpg

Its still got the older style dash (like the UK 70's).

P1030495_zps3635170d.jpg

But the clocks are newer.

P1030496_zps0182d8c1.jpg

Old number plates off.

P1030497_zps2a472cc0.jpg

New plates on. :icon-cool:

P1030498_zpsc95f4826.jpg

P1030499_zps83988041.jpg

P1030500_zpsdea5b25b.jpg

P1030501_zps1cb0aa50.jpg

Rego sticker.

P1030502_zps3d74180f.jpg

P1030504_zpsaa657c53.jpg

Time to get rid of the tiny 31"s and get the 37"s back on! :icon-twisted:

P1030506_zpsdb08bc18.jpg

P1030507_zpsdace467b.jpg

I was going to the 4wd club meeting so decided to give her a quick clean.

P1030509_zpsd6264379.jpg

P1030510_zpsd17fe43e.jpg

I went to the 4wd meeting which was nice. I've put my name down for almost every trip over the next few months. :dance:

Also paid to become a full member. :icon-biggrin:

A few pics this morning. :icon-cool:

P1030514_zpsd4fb3c80.jpg

P1030515_zps8ff6354b.jpg

P1030516_zps5e8f3051.jpg

P1030517_zpsd8b2d1e9.jpg

P1030518_zps3801e7a2.jpg

P1030519_zpsa463115a.jpg

Also put a club sticker on the rear window. :icon-cool:

P1030526_zpsa6a82949.jpg

So I'm very happy my truck is finally registered and on the road. :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

During my 3 hour drive to and from the Vic Roads office on Wednesday I was trying to think of a name for my truck. I've owned her for a few years now but still hadnt thought of a name. :oops:

I thought maybe I would get given a number plate, with perhaps some interesting letters that could give it a name. I know when Jim bought his 70 it came with the REX number plate, and so his truck is known as Rex. :think:

Then I thought of it.........................................

LJ I will call her LJ, as obviously shes an LJ-70. :icon-smile:

I've arranged to go out with 3 of the guys from the 4wd club Sunday morning. Were going to a forest 20 mins away, and apparently there are some really really extreme tracks there. :icon-twisted:

Pics to follow. :icon-wink:

Congrats on getting it all sorted :) Must be a good feeling.

Where are the pics of Natalie? ;)

And just how far did she have to lean over to read the numbers? Nice work mate, like a true pro. :icon-wink:

Good to see you back up and legal. Time for fun.

By the way, hope you have planning for the veranda or it'll all have to come down again! You know how strict these Aussies are about their rules!

C

Congrats on getting it all sorted :) Must be a good feeling.

Where are the pics of Natalie? ;)

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Wish I could have got a pic, she was definitely an 8 if not a 9! :drool:

And just how far did she have to lean over to read the numbers? Nice work mate, like a true pro. :icon-wink:

Good to see you back up and legal. Time for fun.

By the way, hope you have planning for the veranda or it'll all have to come down again! You know how strict these Aussies are about their rules!

C

:lol:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Congrats on getting it sorted! She stiffed you on Stamp Duty... how much did you say LJ was worth? We tended to say that our stuff was worth 1/2 what we paid for it...

And are you sure you didn't name LJ after Laura...

Thats excellent news Ben :dance::dance::dance: Its great to see LJ all road legal and registered in Oz, well done:clap: All your hard effort has paid off. Now let the fun commence!!

Out of interest, why were there two stamp duty charges?

The pic's of LJ on the road in Oz are great, although the other shots did remind me that your rear springs have suffered from the fully loaded weight that they had to support during shipping. I suppose now that your back on the road again this thread will be fully of spannering, truck mods and outstanding trip reports.

Bring it on!!!!

Great news Ben ... funny you didnt put the plates on upside down?

:lol:

Congrats on getting it sorted! She stiffed you on Stamp Duty... how much did you say LJ was worth? We tended to say that our stuff was worth 1/2 what we paid for it...And are you sure you didn't name LJ after Laura...

I dont think she did. :think:
I told them the LC is worth $2000. Where as in reality Id struggle to get one for $5000-$6000.

Nope definitely not after Laura, otherwise it would be LG. :icon-wink:

Thats excellent news Ben :dance::dance::dance: Its great to see LJ all road legal and registered in Oz, well done:clap:
All your hard effort has paid off. Now let the fun commence!!Out of interest, why were there two stamp duty charges?
The pic's of LJ on the road in Oz are great, although the other shots did remind me that your rear springs have suffered from the fully loaded weight that they had to support during shipping. I suppose now that your back on the road again this thread will be fully of spannering, truck mods and outstanding trip reports. Bring it on!!!!

Thanks Scott. :thumbup:

Whenever you buy/register a car here you have to pay stamp duty. Which is a percentage of the purchase price. So a lot of people will ask for a lower amount to be put on the receipt when they purchase a car, so they pay less tax.

Not sure why there are 2 stamp duty charges. Maybe because its an import and so has to have import/stamp duty applied? :think:

The suspension is crap. :thumbdown:
I want to replace the whole lot at some point. :icon-cool:

Yep loads more mods/work and trip reports. :dance:

First things are new winch, UHF radio, and fridge. Then roof rack, and roof top tent. :icon-biggrin:

I also need to call up and make an appointment to see some one in the technical department at ARB's world head quarters, and take the front locker with me. :think:

Hows the 105 coming along? :shifty:

I will have a huge list of great places to visit/4wd for when you get here! :dance:

When I registered mine the chap behind the desk told me to just put down $1000 :)

I can highly recommend Kings Springs. I'm still running the cheapy Ironman shocks, but swapped the front springs for Kings springs when I fitted the bullbar and winch. The truck feels much, much better now. I didn't bother swapping the rear springs as I've got airbags in.

Back