Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

I was told the first 18 years were the worst but what do I know…? :)

It's going to be interesting watching young Sam grow up.

:lol:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to when hes a little bit older and I can start teaching him things! :icon-cool:

All he does at the moment is eat, sleep, shit repeat! :lol:

Time for an update.................

We took Sam for his first trip to Byron when he was 2 weeks old and had a great time! :icon-cool:

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

We were in QLD for a few more weeks after that, while I did my final 2 weeks work at the hospital.

I made a start on the packing and decided to adapt the base of the rotisserie I built to turn it into a big trolley. The idea being I can load all the big heavy car parts onto it and then just push straight into and out of the shipping container for the big move down to VIC. :D

I cut some 90mm x 6mm flat steel bar and drilled some holes in it for the castors.

IMG_5275.jpg

And positioned them under the frame and welded them on.

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

And bolted the wheels on.

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5280.jpg

I welded in a piece of angle to support the ends of some hard wood boards I had found to fit to it, as they sadly wernt long enough to do it one length.

IMG_5281.jpg

Cut and screwed all the hardwood planks on.

IMG_5282.jpg

Next job was to load the heavy KZJ78 axles and rock sliders onto it.

IMG_5283.jpg

Their bloody heavy but the rear one in particular will prove vital for the rear of the 78 as I want to replace the factory diff lock and broken ring gear in it, with the KZJ78 one with an Eaton E locker and new 4.8 ring and pinion.

IMG_5284.jpg

The trolley was too heavy to push so I had to drag it out of the garden with the 78.

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

With it safely in the garage I could then load the rest of the heavy spare 70 series parts that I'm taking with me.

IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5297.jpg

To maximise space in the shipping container I then built another tier on the trolley so I could load more parts above.

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg
IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5301.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

It was then time to relax with an ice cold beer and my son!

IMG_5335.jpg

The next day I was on baby duties as Bec was getting some much needed sleep.

So the baby monitor got called into monitor him and make sure he was sleeping.

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

He wouldnt settle so I had no other choice but to bring him into the garage with me.

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5344.jpg

I was busy building a crate to put all the picture frames and TV in to protect them during transit in the shipping container.

IMG_5348.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

I finished work at the hospital for the last time ever!!! :character-beavisbu:

Then it was time to pack this little guy into the Subaru, along with Lexi for the big drive down to Melbourne!

IMG_5368.jpg

2 days later we were at Bec's cousins which would be our base for the next week and a half while we house hunted.:D

The babies slept next to our bed.

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

And her cousins dog who had never met a baby before was extremely gentle and protective of Sam and wouldnt leave his side.

IMG_5396.jpg

While we were down there Sammy who was by this point 5 weeks old, finally started smiling. :D

IMG_5422.jpg

*house update coming next, reached the pic limit with this post. :shifty:

We did drive-by's at 20+ properties and ruled out quite a few from the outside

We then looked around 10 and applied for 3, 2 of which we got. :shifty:

I was very happy that out of every one we looked at we got the one I liked the most! :dance:

This one.

IMG_5468.jpg

So at the front is a 2 car car port.

IMG_5470.jpg

And behind that is another 2 car carport, half of which has been converted to a timber deck area complete with a chimney stack and open fire. :icon-cool:

IMG_5472.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

There is another set of double gates leading from this second car port to the back garden and shed/garage.

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

And here she is, isnt she a beauty! :clap:

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

Behind the main big shed is a smaller 8ft x 8ft shed that will be invaluable for storing all my car parts and garden tools, which will mean this new workshop will have a lot more space for tools and working.

IMG_5486.jpg

Inside the big shed/workshop/garage.

IMG_5487.jpg

The old cupboards and bench will have to go, the whole place will need a good clean out and I will need to put lots more lights up, but its a great space! :icon-biggrin:

IMG_5488.jpg

I was most excited to discover a pit! :icon-twisted:

IMG_5489.jpg

Its currently got a few thousand litres of water in it and a load of crap floating on top. :doh:

IMG_5490.jpg

So I will need to pump all the water out and give it a good clean out.

As the house is on a hill it must be well above the water table, so my plan is to put a load of holes through the concrete in the bottom to allow any future water to escape. :think:

With the house secured Sammy got to go on his first plane.

As we flew to Tassie for Christmas with Bec's family. :icon-cool:

IMG_4437.JPG

And yesterday the little fella got a pic on Santa's knee. :occasion-xmas:

IMG_4459.PNG

We will be flying back to QLD after Christmas to get everything loaded into 2 shipping containers for the big move down.

Then we will drive down in the 78. :banana-angel:

Have a great Christmas and New Year guys. :text-merryxmas: :text-happynewyear:

May Santa bring you lots of LandCruiser parts! :character-smurfpap:

Merry Christmas to you guys too, its all coming together at a breakneck pace, as we’ve come to expect Ben...

:text-merryxmas: AND A :text-happynewyear:

Reactions: Pat
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done Ben.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you. I can't believe 5 weeks have gone by already but typically you've got a lot done in that time. Good luck with the move and well done for finding that excellent property. You're going to need some insulation in that tin box garage, do you plan to line it out with insulation and ply or something? The car ports will be super useful. You'll have a working space a bit like Oding's.

The pit could be very handy but it concerns me that it's full of water. Personally I would pump it out rather than drill holes, it's clearly well sealed and as you say it should be above the water table but it could fill during heavy rain if there's rock underneath. Depends on the weather of course. I wonder how the water got in there if not from below? Doesn't look like the garage leaks but it's one possibility. Let's hope it's somebody with a hose and there's nothing untoward.

Glad little Sam is smiling. He did look rather worried in the previous photos. Clearly the spell in the garage put his mind at rest. :lol:

:text-merryxmas: And a very :text-happynewyear:

Reactions: Pat
Awesome garage and car ports, sure the house is lovely :lol: I wouldn't of needed to look inside the house.

Good luck with the move

Awesome garage and car ports, sure the house is lovely :lol: I wouldn't of needed to look inside the house.

Good luck with the move
Yes I was thinking that. My requirement in house hunting always started with outbuildings. :lol:

I see you didnt even mention the house Ben, presumably there is one smongst the car ports, workshops, garages and sheds?

Prioritising fun space is the correct approach of course which unfortunately my Wife is yet to fully appreciate

As for the pit Ben, most pit water comes in from below.
That you’re on a hill means nothing when talking ground water.
I suggest getting yourself a cheap submersible pump and plumb in a permanent water outlet, and leave it down there, just switching it on when needed.
Some duck boards or a false floor will keep your feet dry.

As Richard said, the last thing to do is to make holes in the bottom, it will just fill quicker then!

Last edited:
Ummm, im seeing one problem here Ben, how in the hell are you gonna get that heavy ass cradle full of car parts into a container? :lol:

Merry christmas and good luck with the move!

Happy Christmas to yourself and family my good man, hope you have a great time with the in-laws.
As for the new house; looks the business lad. That shed is going to be some workshop when it' finished. First thing I saw was the pit and said lucky f&*$we lol. Like has been said already, is drain it with a pump. Don't put holes in it. When it's dry I'd seal it with sealer paint encase the water is seeping through the concrete itself. Raising the floor with wooden battons is a good idea.

Hi have a great time good look with it all hope it go's will from Tony

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

The garage/outbuildings are always the deciding factor when looking at properties! :shifty:

If it wasnt for this fact, we would have got on the property ladder years ago with a small 1-2 bed property. But when you need a double garage at a bare minimum, it kind of forces you towards 3-4 bed houses. :|

But this time I have actually been a lot less height restricted than I have previously as now LJ is a soft top I can remove the roof hoop section, unbolt the window frames off all the doors and fold the windscreen forwards making the whole thing no higher than a standard car, even with LJ on 35's! :icon-cool:

But height turned out to not be an issue with this place! :dance:

Some great ideas and thoughts regarding the pump and duck boards for the pit. :clap:

I will buy a submersible pump and get it nice and dry and I will step away from the hammer drill! :lol:

I'm not sure if the roof has been leaking, I guess time will tell. But I wouldnt have thought so as the shed looks to be in very good condition and not that old. :think:

Aww yeah the house..........

The house is great too! :clap:

Its just had all new carpet fitted through out, nice kitchen with a dishwasher and gas hob (I hate cooking on electric hobs :icon-evil:).

Huge lounge and 3 good size bedrooms. :icon-cool:

Ummm, im seeing one problem here Ben, how in the hell are you gonna get that heavy ass cradle full of car parts into a container? :lol:

I dont know, I'm trying not to think about it. :shifty:

I wanted both containers on the driveway which would have made things a lot easier to load, but the tilt tray driver who delivered the first container reckoned he couldnt do it. :doh:

So their both going on the front lawn, one at a 45 degree angle to the drive and one at 90 degrees to the drive. :thumbdown:

But thats next weeks challenge, this weeks challenge is Christmas with the inlaws! :lol:

I joke, their all lovely and I always get well fed, watered/beer'd and made very welcome! :clap:

I feel sure you'll build a ramp or something to get the trolley in, no worries for a man of your calibre Ben. I guess it won't wobble around once you've packed everything else in around it. Pillows and duvets in bin bags make great buffers for stopping things moving about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Only problem my place really has is that the hob is only electric... there are many times I nearly decide to cook outside on the Coleman cooker instead...

Our 'new' place (we've been in nearly a year now) has a double car port, storage shed and enough space for everything... It didn't have a shed when we moved in, but the landlord put one up for us!

How's the moving going Ben?

Took our canine idiot out camping at the weekend, and thought of you and Lexi.

Hi Ed, good thanks mate. :thumbup:

All in and settled now! :flags-australia:

Foxtel finally connected the internet yesterday, after having not had internet for week so I havent been on here since before Christmas. :icon-biggrin:

The move went OK but there were a few drama's, which I will fill you all in on soon when I get an update up. :shifty:

I started back at Piranha Off Road this week and I'm loving it! :dance:

Oh and the spending has begun now I can get a good discount on 4wd goodies! :icon-twisted:

I will try and get an update up soon. ;)

Back