Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Well done Ben :thumbup: so no stopping you now, just a bit more form filling?

Whel dun Ben! Owtstanding rezult!

Wunder whi I fayled. Enee tips?

Crhis

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks guys. :thumbup:

Yes John, lots more form filling. need to apply for a permit to import my truck! :dance:

seems to be driving really nicely ATM. death wobble has gone completely and the steering wheel doesn't vibrate or shake in the slightest.

new panhard rod, steering damper and new track rod ends, seem to have made a huge difference. going to book it into have it tracked on Friday, ready for this weekends huge laning and camping trip. :cool:

i havnt been disconnecting the batteries either the last few weeks and it starts fine everyday and the batteries are still showing 12+volts. theres still a drain on the system some where though, that im yet to find. :)

Ben said:
Yes John, lots more form filling. need to apply for a permit to import my truck! :dance:

Will be interesting to see what kind of inspection your LC goes through to get into Oz. I recon you will have to get it gleaming with no mud or grass or spores or anything on it before you send it off.... I believe they are anal about any foreign organic stuff getting into Oz.

Ben said:
English test results came though the post today. :?

I PASSED!!!
Fantastic news, Ben :thumbup: Many congrats - I'm glad it's all come through for you! Well deserved!

TonyP said:
I believe they are anal about any foreign organic stuff getting into Oz.
Sounds like Ben may be in line for an enema at the airport from your description, Tony :laughing-rofl:

Andrew Prince said:
Sounds like Ben may be in line for an enema at the airport from your description, Tony :laughing-rofl:

No joke, two Zim farmer friends of mine arrived in Oz a few years ago in their Fellies and looking like they had just come off a farm (which they had). They were made to strip and were sprayed/covered with some white powder stuff to decontaminate them (like in those prison movies you see)..... So yeah Ben, pics please and remember to breath in.... :laughing-rolling:

I have no desire to see Ben being strip searched for microbes, please dont rush with the photos!

Glad to hear its all going well.

Pete

thanks guys. :thumbup:

truck will be spotless! :dance:

going to spend a month stripping bits off it, cleaning everything, painting what needs painting, and then re-assembling it.

it might be an off road toy and be covered in dents and scratches, but when i get it over there it will be spotless! :cool:

i think the fun bit is going to be trying to get it on the road over there.

im pretty sure every mod has to be certificated by an engineer to say its safe and legal.

one thing i will need to do is change my home made, box section body lift spacers for proper ones, because im pretty sure that wouldnt be legal over there. :)

going to buy a cheap car when i get over there as a run about, because it might take a while to get my truck road legal.

decided my first purchases for my truck, when i get over there, are going to be

roof top tent, to go on the roof rack im yet to build. fridge/freezer and an awning. then i want to take it up the Vic high country! :thumbup:

Ben said:
I think the fun bit is going to be trying to get it on the road over there.

im pretty sure every mod has to be certificated by an engineer to say its safe and legal.

Well done, Ben.

Best start looking at the Oz laws now - from what I've read on PradoPoint, things like bigger tyres on road-going vehicles are being banned, as is (potentially) the bull-bar scenario ... the nanny state encroacheth :? So maybe save a bit of pain and hassle and check up now so you're road-legal when you get there.

Cheers

Will do Gary, thanks. :thumbup:

its cost me just over 3 grand so far and ive got at least another 2.5+ still to pay, and thats just to get the visa :shock:

oh well im sure it will all be worth it in the end. :cool: :pray:

anyway.........................back to my truck! :)

im going on a 3 day laning and camping trip, travelling from North Wales to South Wales, but its looking like theres going to be a lot of rain. :thumbdown:

the thought of setting my tent up in the rain, then having to pack it up the next morning when its soaking wet, knowing i will then have to unpack the wet tent later that day to set it up again, really doesnt seem like a very nice prospect. :(

i really dont enjoy camping in the rain. :thumbdown:

unfortunately the front seats dont recline back far enough to allow sleeping in the truck. :roll:

so i had an idea. :dance:

passenger seat removed.

SAM_0002.jpg

cut and old piece of ply, to fit level with the piece on top of the drawer system.

SAM_0005.jpg

screwed a piece of 2x2 to the back of the drawer system to support the one edge of the ply top.

SAM_0003.jpg

cut a couple of legs out of 4x2, and screwed these in place with a couple of simple brackets which i bolted into 2 of the original seat mounting points.

SAM_0004.jpg

with a sun lounger pad on and a roll mat, its reasonably comfortable and at least i shouldnt wake up with a cold back like i did at Lincomb. Going to see of i can find something a bit more comfortable before the trip though. :)

SAM_0006.jpg

plenty of room for storage underneath.

SAM_0007.jpg

this is just a temporary thing for this weekends trip, and the seat will be going back in afterwards.

i may look at modifying the passenger seat, or the way it mounts to the floor to allow it to slide further forward, so that in future i may be able to recline the front seat, and have an instant bed. :thumbup:

broke my fairlead a month or 2 ago. :thumbdown:

SAM_0008.jpg

replacement ebay bargain one arrived this week. :clap:

SAM_0009.jpg

ive taken the winch rope off and have been busy cleaning all the mud out of it, so thats now ready to go back on with the new fairlead. :)

day off today, so i can prepare for the trip. :)

just been and had the tracking done. its now driving so nice. :D

SAM_0010.jpg

SAM_0011.jpg

SAM_0012.jpg

Sounds like a good idea to be sleeping in the truck m8 :D I've got a couple of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GELERT-ADVENT ... _706wt_689 GELERT ADVENTURE XL SELF-INFLATING 10cm SLEEPING MATS that I use in my tent and you can get them for as little as £35 they're full of memory foam and air. Nice to see you've finally got your wheel alignment sorted as well, mustbbevlike havering had a bad tooth removed :D

Thanks Steven. :)

one of those mats would be perfect. :think:

well fitting the replacment panhard rod seemed to virtually stop the death wobble, and then when i fitted new track rod ends and steering damper that improved it even more.

its even better now its been tracked, but only so far as it now drives nice and straight. :clap:

i can now cruise at 70mph+ and it actually feels safe! :dance:

personally, I've never bothered with Tracking as it always seems to get destroyed after a Sunday or a weekend of Laning ...

Back