Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Ha ha - no. Great video. If I'd gone down that route my father-in-law would have received a telegram from the queen half way down :lol: . Mine was a family holiday where I sort of chose the route to visit the next holiday destination - these just happened to involve green lanes. Andrew at the farm was very helpful - even let me borrow his memory map gps with pre-loaded routes. :thumbup: Will be going back.

Ben said:
k9rdj said:
:thumbup: Another great write-up our'Ben :clap:

And a reminder of how quickly things can go wrong! :shock:

See you in the Lakes!

IISY?

Dave ;)

Thanks Dave. :thumbup:

really looking forward to the lakes trip mate. :dance:

not sure about those 2 fords across estuary's though. :?

got visions of mud like quick sand, and my truck rotting away shortly afterwards, due to the salt water. :lol:

Looking at WetRoads for the two Estuary Crossing's .... I think we'll serioulsy be giving them a miss!!

What used to be open to vehicles, the routes across the Duddon Estuary are now bridleways, and are extremely dangerous. I used to live in Soutergate, and I would walk down to the sands to try and cross to the west bank. I never did find a route. The tidal current is so vicious it creates valleys and troughs with a good 8ft between them.

The byway across Morecambe Bay is also highly dangerous. A couple of years ago a group of itinerant Chinese cockle pickers died when the tide overwhelmed them. There is a licenced guide who may be willing to guide you across. You should be able to get him through Morecambe council.

Roger

Hi Roger - I hear what you are saying, but sadly you are incorrect, they are legal UCRs, and quoted and listed on Cumbria HOTR Reports and Byways:

Drigg is UCR4055/1 and Ravenglass is UCR4055/2.

Ben said:
before we were even on happy valley id told the others that i liked the lane, apart from the one section where its quite narrow, with a rock step, and a big drop on the one side.

never have liked it, never will. :thumbdown:

i told them ive always been terrified of going off the edge. :oops:

so what do we find when we get there....................................

some poor bugger in a disco has slipped off the track and rolled his vehicle off the edge. :shock:

SAM_0139.jpg
Yoiks... It is a horrible little section of lane that Ben. We spent a while getting Rob over it on one trip & I'm glad we did!!! I don't like it either... :sick:

Nice trip though - recognised a couple of spots along the way :cool:

Of course Ben the last time you led us there it was PITCH BLACK ... believe me, even MORE scarier!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We came along it in the dark on Halloween night one year :lol: The sheeps eyes were really quite ghoulish when they reflected the headlight glare from the fields :lol:

That was a couple of years ago & the step wasn't that bad then - its really got worse in the last year...

Maverick said:
Hi Roger - I hear what you are saying, but sadly you are incorrect, they are legal UCRs, and quoted and listed on Cumbria HOTR Reports and Byways:

Drigg is UCR4055/1 and Ravenglass is UCR4055/2.

Drigg and Ravenglass are UCR,s and I have driven both but they are 10-15 miles north of the Duddon Estuary.

Roger

looks like my alternator is knackered. :thumbdown:

if its the original one, then its done 190,000 miles which doesnt seem bad! :clap:

the alternator currently fitted is a 70 AMP one, but im thinking of fitting a bigger one, which will be useful when im winching and running electrical items in the future like a fridge. :think:

so i was thinking of trying to fit an 80 series one, but i believe there only 80 AMP. :)

ideas welcome. :thumbup:

other issue im having is the headlights arnt working. :thumbdown:

got side lights but no headlights.

fuses all ok, and bulbs are working fine. :think:

im not getting any power at the fuse box for the headlight circuit, so im not sure what could be the problem?

im going to buy the electrical factory service manual, and also thinking of getting the haynes auto electrics manual. :)

im keen to get on top of these electrical issues, and also learn how to problem solve and fix the faults. really not keen on paying £40-£50 per hour to an auto electrician. :thumbup:

this the step where it rolled i think
was scary last year, and that was with some stones in the gap on the downhill side

IMG_3045%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

thats the one Andy. :)

doesnt look like much of a drop in your pic, but it is quite away down.

most of the stone on the right of your pic is now missing, so vehicles driving this section now lean even more towards the edge. :thumbdown:

That 3 day laning trip looked awsome Ben !
Still cant get over that disco... How did they manage that ? :o
Sussed the leaking rear diff on mine as it was a blocked breather :doh: and have a working rear locker again :dance:

thanks Shaun. :thumbup:

just slipped off the track coming down a rock step. :thumbdown:

glad your lockers working again and was an easy fix. we must hit the lanes again some time soon. :)

Ye sounds like a plan if any trips come up soon :thumbup:

Hows your cruiser doing ?

I need to spend some time on the other truck soon not even looked at it in months :(

not too good Shaun. :thumbdown:

got a few electrical issues going on. :thumbdown:

Ben said:
looks like my alternator is knackered. :thumbdown:

if its the original one, then its done 190,000 miles which doesnt seem bad! :clap:

the alternator currently fitted is a 70 AMP one, but im thinking of fitting a bigger one, which will be useful when im winching and running electrical items in the future like a fridge. :think:

so i was thinking of trying to fit an 80 series one, but i believe there only 80 AMP. :)

ideas welcome. :thumbup:

other issue im having is the headlights arnt working. :thumbdown:

got side lights but no headlights.

fuses all ok, and bulbs are working fine. :think:

im not getting any power at the fuse box for the headlight circuit, so im not sure what could be the problem?

im going to buy the electrical factory service manual, and also thinking of getting the haynes auto electrics manual. :)

im keen to get on top of these electrical issues, and also learn how to problem solve and fix the faults. really not keen on paying £40-£50 per hour to an auto electrician. :thumbup:

ive ordered the toyota factory manuals and wiring diagrams, so hopefully that will help. :pray:

hoping to give it a service this weekend, weather permitting. :?

want to change the oil and filter, fuel filter, and the rear brake shoes. :thumbup:

been doing a bit on it this week, just sorting little bits and pieces out, will stick some pics up when i get chance. :)

got a weekend away in the lakes in a few weeks. :dance:

oh. :oops:

might need to go get another alternator tomorrow then. :think:

Ben said:
oh. :oops:

might need to go get another alternator tomorrow then. :think:

Ben, I've got a 1kzt-e alternator for sale. Let me know if you're interested.

Back