Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Wow! Excellent news m8, who would've thought it, off centered wheels :D :cool: :thumbup:

Wheels are located in two ways:-

1) Flanged nuts that locate within the wheel. To my knowledge they are only used on alloy rims.

2) tapered nuts (male), locating within tapered (female) recesses in the wheel centre. Can be used on steel (universal) or alloy (fairly rare).

Type 1 will centre naturally, as the wheel has only one position. It is still good practice to tighten the nuts correctly. see below.

Type 2 will normally centre without any bother. It all depends on whether the wheel has been correctly made. Either way see instructions below.

Place wheel on studs and fit nuts. Hand tighten to locate wheel on studs. Give wheel a shake to further locate it. Nip up one nut and go to opposite nut. Nip that one. Go back to first nut and nip the nut next to it. Then the one opposite. Then back to other side.

I.E. (on a clock) 12-6-10-4-2-8.

Then do the lot again to half torque. Then again to full torque.

Spin wheel after to check the run-out of the rim. Rim should be no more than 1mm out. Tyre should be no more than 3mm out. In my experience, only Michelin know how to make a "round" tyre.

Roger

Will be fantastic news if this solves the wobble Ben. Everything's crossed :thumbup:

i think i cursed myself saying it was all fixed. :oops: :roll: :thumbdown:

i had to drive a different way to work today, due to a fatal crash closing the A road on the way i normally go. the different way involved winding lanes and i didnt get above 40mph. i foolishly presumed as there was no death wobble that the problem was fixed. :?

just had a nightmare drive to Liverpool and id say the death wobble is worse than ever! :thumbdown:

i pulled over twice to check all the wheel nuts and radius/trailing arm bolts as i was that paranoid about something falling off, thats how bad its got! :shock:

one thing i have discovered is that the bushes on the front panhard rod are completely shagged! i can physically move the panhard rod side to side, as the bushes are that loose/non existent.
so im thinking maybe this is the cause of the problem.

it now seems ok up to about 30mph and then the steering wheel starts shaking very badly all the way up to about 60mph. 60mph-75mph it seems a lot more settled.

the reason why i suspect that it has suddenly got worse is, as i previously mentioned last time i re-fitted the panhard rod it was difficult to fit as it felt twisted, due to the castor being out.
so now after the panhard rod has been under constant twisting tension for so long, and now the castor is corrected the panhard rod is no longer under tension, and the bushes are virtually destroyed? :think:

time to order new super pro panhard rod bushes i think. hopefully that will fix it. :pray:

I still reckon you need to change the steering damper as well, I had a steering wobble problem a few years back (not as bad as yours though) and tried everything and nothing fixed it, then I replaced the steering damper and all was well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ModelMakerMan said:
I still reckon you need to change the steering damper as well, I had a steering wobble problem a few years back (not as bad as yours though) and tried everything and nothing fixed it, then I replaced the steering damper and all was well.

good point. :thumbup:

i need to email tough dog and find out if there return to centre damper fits behind the axle in the original position, or like i have seen on other vehicles, in front of the axle.

if it fits in front then i will not get one as it might foul my steering guard.

might get an ironman one then. :think:

Replacing the standard steering damper should only be necessary if the original one is FUBAR.

I suggest that Ben removes it for checking.

Roger

My original damper didnt seem to be in full working order when I removed it to check but all the steering shake went away when i eventually replaced it.

It think it could be that its physically impossible as a human being to exert the kinds of quick jerking motions and amounts of force required to truly test if it is FUBAR or not? :?

I had a death wobble almost as bad as you are describing and the cause of that was the panhard rod bushes worn out - so bad that the diff could move out of place and that really messes things up.

Replace them and that should sort you out

Regards
Mark

thanks guys, super pro poly bushes for both front and rear panhard rods should be here tomorrow. :thumbup:

managed to get them at cost. 40% below the RRP so im very happy! :dance: :clap:

will get them fitted as soon as im back from Liverpool. :cool:

i was a bit worried about leaving the cruiser outside overnight while working up here, so decided the best thing would be to remove the steering wheel every night! :)

i imagine even the best scouse car thieves would have a job taking a car without a steering wheel! mole grips maybe? :lol:

P3290010.jpg

"i imagine even the best scouse car thieves would have a job taking a car without a steering wheel! mole grips maybe?"

you jest - but when i was working in Angola a guy told me he once saw an Angolan driving a car without a steering wheel, but a mole grip instead! :o

I'm taking out the fuse called "engine" every night. Not that I think it keepes the experienced ones away... Even though most people would argue, that nobody would steal an old rusty car as mine, somebody stole my old 1984 VW Polo. After that I invested in a Defa DVS90 Alarm system. Pictures of it going in my 70, I think will come tomorrow. There are just no limits for what you can do with that alarm :thumbup:

AndyCook said:
"i imagine even the best scouse car thieves would have a job taking a car without a steering wheel! mole grips maybe?"

you jest - but when i was working in Angola a guy told me he once saw an Angolan driving a car without a steering wheel, but a mole grip instead! :o

i wonder if the driver of the car had stolen it without a steering wheel, or if it was his car and some one had stolen the steering wheel? :think:

i cant imagine a steering wheel is the sort of thing that would fall off or wear out. :lol:

Anders Ernst said:
I'm taking out the fuse called "engine" every night. Not that I think it keepes the experienced ones away... Even though most people would argue, that nobody would steal an old rusty car as mine, somebody stole my old 1984 VW Polo. After that I invested in a Defa DVS90 Alarm system. Pictures of it going in my 70, I think will come tomorrow. There are just no limits for what you can do with that alarm :thumbup:

older cars are a lot easier to steal than newer ones. :thumbdown:

mine had an alarm once, until it went ballistic and wouldnt stop sounding the alarm, so i took some wire cutters to it, cut all the wires, then left the speaker in a bucket of water until it stopped making a noise! :lol:

then left the speaker in a bucket of water until it stopped making a noise! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXEDITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXEDITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED ITS FIXED! :eusa-violin: :dance: :angelic-sunshine: :auto-biker: :auto-dirtbike: :banana-angel: :banana-fingers: :banana-explosion: :banana-dreads: :banana-dance: :banana-blonde: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :banana-rainbow: :banana-parachute: :banana-ninja: :banana-linedance: :character-apu: :character-beavisbutthead:

oh did i mention ITS FIXED!!!

the death wobble has now completely gone 0-85mph and the steering wheel doesnt shake, vibrate or wobble in the slightest! the truck now drives so nicely! id go as far to say that it drives better than when i got it as standard about 18 months ago! :clap:

feeling very happy now and no longer having thoughts about killing my truck which is nice! :lol: :cool:

Ben, is it fixed?

Chris

its definitely fixed and im totally stoked! :D

just about to re-size and upload the pics now! ;)

Back