Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

glad your ok and still managed to have fun. maybe add a 5 point harness to your to do list to keep you in the seat for next time... :icon-wink:

Unlucky and lucky in equal measures there I think Ben :wtf: but at least you came out ok even if the truck is a bit worse for wear!

Wow..... impressed that you carried on Ben! Double hard indeed!

Ben, you sure don't lead a dull and boring life do you buddy! Glad you came out of it wit just some bent metal, although maybe a bump on the head is what you need to slow you down a bit! You do want to get to Aus with the 'ol girl don't you?

you lucky begger! Would have been nasty rolling down that welsh hill...:wtf:
nice to see you carry on......bit of a Colin McRae moment when he used to barrel roll in the woods, and just carry on! One hell of a recovery operation going on there!
Is it repairable or...??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yet another X-Treeeem weekends laning that will be the topic of many a conversation round a campfire with a cold beer for years to come!!! We will be doing this with jumpers and thermals on in the rain and snow and you'll be doing it while wearing SPF50 :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

I'll certainly miss our adventures together when you chip off to Aus, but will never get bored of recounting our weekends together to others :icon-biggrin:

If I know anything, its that you'll have that truck sorted for the best before the rest of us having finished considering how lucky you were :icon-biggrin:

Great weekend again m8 :thumbup: Now get that truck fixed so we can get out again before you go to Aus :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink:

Here's some more photos of the crash and recovery;

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

Last edited:
You were so lucky there Ben :icon-eek: glad to see you OK with just a bump on the head maybe :think: What you and a few mates did there is nothing short of a miracle, would it be fair to say your next project could be a roll cage? :lol:
Great ,

But maybe you do need a bump on the head, Ben you crazy driver.

Gra.

Hi Ben,

Well what a write - up this week !!!
But really, I am stuck for words.
We nearly lost you there fella' !!
Seriously, there looks like a long roll down to the bottom, and if your truck hadn't have wedged up against the tree stump, and the mound, who knows what we would be reading this morning, and looking at the pictures taken from across the other side, it looks too much for you or the '70 to survive.
Glad your reasonably OK,

So, did the Mrs' beat you up when you pitched home with the smashed up truck?
If she didn't then she needs too !!!!!!!!!

Visa's would have been the last thing on your mind !!

Any way, your safe, shaken and stirred !!

So I guess that's the last of the laning now, getting the replacement diff. was a challenge, getting the '70 to accept a glass windscreen looks to be a nightmare.

I can't help but think back, what it must have been like to be inside your truck, with every thing not lashed down, including yourself (no seat belt I guess) just getting tossed and thrown about, being hit and struck by every thing, not knowing which way is up, totally wiped out for a few seconds, that must have felt like ages.

Happy to read your report, but let's try keep sensible from now.

Gra.

Last edited:
Gosh Ben - terrifying experience - but glad you are ok, and you are truck managed to continue the journey.
you were so lucky there was something to stop the truck rolling further, and you were all well equiped and had those trees above the track to act as anchors

i think the title of the thread "LJ70-Build-Thread" might need rewording...
hope the roof is repairable

That was a very lucky eascape you had there Ben! :shock:

Good thing you had a bunch of great mates with you at the time and hats off to you for continuing on the weekend's laning trip as planned. :shock: :clap:

Look forward to seeing getting your 70 back in tip-top shape, as I'm sure you will in no time.

I wish I knew more people with a Can Do attitude like you have Ben.

Ben, I've read every word of your threads (and others that youve posted) and I feel I know you by now. Always admired your "never give up approach" but when I got to the part of the thread where you "stepped out" and fell off the edge, I was on the edge of my seat and simply couldn't believe that you were straightening it out to carry on.

Stoicism at its height!! BRAVO!!

Please tell us your going to repair the truck, it has too much history to consider otherwise...

Glad you're only shaken up, death or serious injury could have easily been the outcome. A cage is a must for someone doing as much offroad as you (occasional w/e are no problem) sooner or later the number comes up. You have been given the chance now, and with your fabrication skills, It probably won't cost too much (plenty of hours though!).

What a thread, should be renamed "epic rescue 2" or "L70 Re-Build Thread!!"

And I think your team did a marvellous job recovering the truck from that tumble, difficult conditions there.

Well done to all, and I think you've learned a thing or two as well :icon-biggrin::lol::clap:

glad your ok and still managed to have fun. maybe add a 5 point harness to your to do list to keep you in the seat for next time... :icon-wink:

Forgot to mention this, the harness is also a must! One saved my life 30 years ago when we used to do '12 car' rallies at a local motor club (chequers down in Worcester if anyone ever heard of it). Essential piece of kit if you're serious, and a man of your means can rig it as an option, retaining the regular belt for popping down to the shops!

Remarkable story, keep it safe ...

May be this needs to be a new thread?

Gra.

Good to hear you are ok Ben - that could have been very nasty! Got to admire your spirit - not going to let something like that ruin the weekend.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. :icon-biggrin:

Of course I will be fixing the truck! :dance:

None of you actually thought id give up did you? :lol:

I dont give up easily! :icon-twisted:

Im currently searching for a 70 being broken for parts, that isnt too far away from me.

When ive found one and a price has been agreed, I will take a cordless reciprocating saw, and after carefully removing the windscreen, I will cut through the bottom of the A pillars and cut through the B and C pillars.

I will then cut my old bent roof off and weld on the new roof. Going to weld just below the roof gutters on the B and C pillars. The A pillars will be welded a few inches below the tops of the wings, where the existing pillars start.

Id guess theres a days work to get it all fixed. :icon-cool:

I want to fit an internal roll cage, and as people have suggested 4 point harness's. :icon-smile:

glad to see your ok but are you aloud to cut and weld the b and c pillers thats the main part of the vehicles strength. you would be better swapping the body:shifty:

Back