Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Well done, Ben. I am glad it has worked out so well and in such a short time for you. I am sure there will be no regrets with your move, when you look back in years to come.

In the mean time embrace what Aus has to offer :-
A good job
Cold beer
Hot, dry weather
Horses
Women
Outdoor life
A big 4x4 playground

Nice one Ben ...glad you've landed on your feet over there .. :icon-cool:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

They've got a huge workshop here on the farm, so I'm hoping work can continue on the 70 when it arrives! :icon-wink:

Cant wait to get it on the road and get out and do some trips! :dance:

Off to the beach today for a spot of snorkelling. :icon-cool:

Feeling I'm missing out on whats happening on here. Havnt got internet access very often and when I have like now, its not for long. :icon-cry:

ADSL or satellite?

We had Satellite in NSW at our place, no ADSL because of a party line to the house... took an hour on the phone for Telstra to tell me that gem!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right now I've got a few spare minutes I will try and answer some questions. :icon-smile:

Car looks clean enough, what did you pay for it?

Good luck with the job interview, say hello to Tony for us :icon-biggrin: Maybe he'll let you have a blast around in Betsy :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Paid $4000 for the car. Its a 2002 with 200,000km on the clock (120,000 miles).

All the girls on the farm have said they like it and a few have said they are interested in buying it if I want to sell it when my LandCruiser arrives. :icon-biggrin:

nice one :icon-cool: well done - sounds perfect and far better than being in a city at a desk :icon-cry:

can you ride horse's to impress the girls :wtf:

Not ridden a horse for years, but I'm keen to have a go. :icon-smile:

Even more keen if it might impress the girls! :lol:

Well done! Looks pretty sorted. How many acres? We were on a 3500 acre horse property nr Sydney.

Riding over there is good fun, I just used to trail ride, but if you can get the girls to take you to watch some of the Rodeo, Team Penning and Camp Drafting events if they're into those. When we were over my GF would do the Team Penning, and I've got friends who compete most weekends at Team Penning and Camp Drafting. It's a good way to earn some money if you're good enough.

We actually sold our 'Cruiser at a Team Penning event... the lad who bought it had to drop something off to his Mum and saw it was for sale... put a deposit down on it by the end of the weekend, and picked it up on the Tuesday after!!!

Not sure how much land they own, but from what I've seen so far id say 3 or 4 square miles. The land that the horse event and 4x4 show will be held on is 1mile x 1/2mile. :icon-cool:

Great news man - glad its all coming together for you...

I thought it was Mitch's landy in one of the pics!!! Home from home!!! :icon-cool:

Thanks dude. :thumbup:

Not really seen any lamerovers since I got here which is nice. See the odd discovery on the road but not seen any defenders! :think:

Nearly all the 4x4's are Toyota's and Nissan. :icon-twisted:

ADSL or satellite?

We had Satellite in NSW at our place, no ADSL because of a party line to the house... took an hour on the phone for Telstra to tell me that gem!

I can pickup wifi in/outside the main house, but not in the cottage where I'm staying. Can also get wifi when I'm at Laura's, which is where I stayed last night. :icon-smile:

Started buying bits for my 70 today! :dance:

Needed some floor mats in the Holden as their wernt any, so decided to get some of the deep 4x4 ones, as ultimately they will end up in the 70. :icon-twisted:

Hey Ben,
I like the way you said "all the girls..." That means to me that you haven't missed any of them out... !
Great to hear you're on your feet so quickly, I think the job you've got yourself is just perfect, outdoors and creative. 4 x 4 events from time to time is the icing on the cake IMO!
Good luck,
Clive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Clive. :thumbup:

Did I mention the communal showers? :whistle:

OK there's shower curtains but even so! :icon-biggrin: :icon-twisted: :dance:

Anyway.................................

Today was the first day building the horse jumps. To make the course interesting each jump(s) is given some sort of theme.

Today weve built 2 jumps which will form the last 2 trailers/carriages on the back of a mock train. As there are different classes, the jumps need to be different heights and widths.

First one built.

P1020231_zps939f32bb.jpg

Building the second one. The jumps need to be built in a certain way and be strong enough to take the weight of a horse.

P1020233_zpsd93760a3.jpg

P1020234_zps6840d13a.jpg

Finished.

P1020236_zps6cd01338.jpg

This is the 2 weve built today, behind one of the existing ones.

P1020237_zps65809291.jpg

P1020238_zps4dbb2da2.jpg

Only another 38 more jumps to build. :icon-cool:

After the big horse event they have a big swanky evening do in a marque. So I will have to hire an evening suit. :think:

Just had a lovely steak and a beer, perfect after a long day working in the sun. :clap:

Oh almost forgot I got to drive the 70 series pickup today! :icon-biggrin:

Feels similar to mine, but a bit bumpier with the leaf springs all round. I was surprised at how sluggish the 4.2litre lump under the bonnet felt. Definitely no where near as smooth and powerful as the 1KZ-T in mine, but I guess it hasnt got a turbo. :think:

Aha Ben, I have just bought a troopy yesterday with those exact features! a large engine and leaf springs. I like driving a challenge but Dave who helped me pick it up and was the insured one to bring it back was not of the same mind, he looked pretty broken after three hours of it. The jumps look good, pretty much in your element by the looks of it. Jonnie

The "heavy" Cruisers (for want of a better name) tend to ride better with weight in them; that's based on the time I owned my FJ73. Neither the petrol nor the diesel are balls of fire though, so everything has to be planned in advance!

Looks good; sounds a bit like some of the bits we were doing in Aus before we left; we spent time building assault courses (for want of a better description) for the hardcore cross country racers. We worked with the guys behind The Stampede, which was good fun!

Ed

Oh and a pic! :icon-cool:

Especially for Jim as I know hes also a fan of Tooheys extra dry! :icon-wink:

My first beer! :obscene-drinkingbe:

P1020195450x600_zps0ed54c0d.jpg

TED's! Haha nice one Ben. Really good to see you've landed on your feet so well. Jealous! Looking forward to seeing adventure pics from the trails when your 70 arrives. Take a few days off and drive up to Flinders Ranges, some fantastic places to explore up there (mind you, there are all over Aus).

Thanks Clive. :thumbup:

Did I mention the communal showers? :whistle:

OK there's shower curtains but even so! :icon-biggrin: :icon-twisted: :dance:

Anyway.................................

Today was the first day building the horse jumps. To make the course interesting each jump(s) is given some sort of theme.

Today weve built 2 jumps which will form the last 2 trailers/carriages on the back of a mock train. As there are different classes, the jumps need to be different heights and widths.

First one built.

P1020231_zps939f32bb.jpg

Building the second one. The jumps need to be built in a certain way and be strong enough to take the weight of a horse.

P1020233_zpsd93760a3.jpg

P1020234_zps6840d13a.jpg

Finished.

P1020236_zps6cd01338.jpg

This is the 2 weve built today, behind one of the existing ones.

P1020237_zps65809291.jpg

P1020238_zps4dbb2da2.jpg

Only another 38 more jumps to build. :icon-cool:

After the big horse event they have a big swanky evening do in a marque. So I will have to hire an evening suit. :think:

Just had a lovely steak and a beer, perfect after a long day working in the sun. :clap:

Oh almost forgot I got to drive the 70 series pickup today! :icon-biggrin:

Feels similar to mine, but a bit bumpier with the leaf springs all round. I was surprised at how sluggish the 4.2litre lump under the bonnet felt. Definitely no where near as smooth and powerful as the 1KZ-T in mine, but I guess it hasnt got a turbo. :think:

what awful weather.. :happy-smileyflower:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Aha Ben, I have just bought a troopy yesterday with those exact features! a large engine and leaf springs. I like driving a challenge but Dave who helped me pick it up and was the insured one to bring it back was not of the same mind, he looked pretty broken after three hours of it. The jumps look good, pretty much in your element by the looks of it. Jonnie

A 40 or a 70? I'm guessing a 70. :think:

Thanks mate, I'm really really happy. :dance:

When we starting to export trucks and parts from here to the UK? :icon-cool:

Well done Ben, Looks like you've found the perfect place for yourself.

Thanks mate, it is an awesome place to live and work! :icon-biggrin:

Ben,

Really pleased to see you are doing so well so quickly. Would say that you've had some good luck, but thats not really the case, what you have is a really positive attitude that makes things happen, so well done you.

Like the first picture of you with the beer, but gotta say the photo of you driving the forklift tells me you've let yourself go a bit quick dude.....

Anyway, forget posting photos of the Astra, get some photos of the girls !

Cheers

Pete

Aww thanks Pete. :thumbup:

Feeling really really happy.

I'm also now getting 8-9 hours sleep every night, something I havnt had for months. I put this down to the fact I now dont have any worries at all, life is good! :icon-biggrin:

Regarding the fork lift pic............................:lol: Its all the gorgeous food and beer! :dance:

Will try and get some pics of the girls. :icon-wink:

Since one of the girls car broke down, and they discovered I can do a bit with cars. I'm suddenly Mr popular! :icon-biggrin:

There is 2 hot blonde girls who both want me to fix their cars. :icon-cool:

Few more pics of what I've been building later, then a few pics on Sunday of the 4x4 show. :icon-wink:

Container is due on the 13/3/13, then its got to sit in quarantine for 3 weeks. So fingers crossed some time in April I should get my cruiser back! :icon-biggrin:

Then I can get this thread back on track! :dance:

Last edited:
"
Then I can get this thread back on track! :eusa-dance:"

nah - all this talk of hot blonde horsey girls! the thread is on a fine track:icon-cool:

We're only missing the photos Ben...!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back