Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

*This should have been posted on the end of the trip report above, but I just went over the 100,000 character posting limit! :doh:

Just realised that Photobucket has the habit of putting the URL tag for the photo in as well, so when you insert the pictures it gets a whole load of extra code which it might not need... get rid of that and you'd be well under the 100,000 character limit!

Quick update then I've got to get back to enjoying my holiday! :icon-cool:

Tools first.....................................

I've ended up with far too many socket sets as just before buying my big tool box at work, which came with a big socket set, I bought 2 of these sets really cheap at Aldi.

P1111684_zps85zwlqmj.jpg

P1111687_zpsuudr2hcz.jpg

The sockets are good quality and single hex which is much less likely to slip and round bolts and nuts than multi hex. But as is often the case with cheaper sets the ratchets are of poor quality and fail. :doh:

So I decided to make some T bars instead.

I bought these galvanized ones about 10 years ago but after loosing the 10mm I only had an 8, 12 and 13mm left.

P1111685_zpsojw5h2ga.jpg

P1111686_zpsmyyecmzc.jpg

I selected an 8, 10, 12, 13 and 14mm 1/4" drive sockets from the set.

P1111692_zps77u9gvlu.jpg

Cut some stainless steel rod.

P1111693_zpssck749bq.jpg

Drilled out the sockets which was extremely difficult as there hardened steel, but my sharp Dormer drill bits soon got through them.

P1111694_zpsjzp4kbwh.jpg

P1111695_zpswcrah5vb.jpg

The stainless steel rod now fitted snugly into the sockets.

P1111696_zpsuzqulcsh.jpg

I could then TIG weld the rod to the sockets.

P1111697_zpswx16fbf7.jpg

P1111698_zpslveij4ez.jpg

I then laid it on the bench and once the handle was in position and nice and square it could be welded to the other piece of stainless.

P1111699_zpsrdqm4oua.jpg

P1111700_zpsir6esyrq.jpg

P1111701_zpsrtqmu0ly.jpg

P1111702_zps3jlup8vi.jpg

They worked out well and now have their own drawer in my big tool box.

I had to do a little job on the Suzuki I built which has now sold.

P1121714_zpsji8fl0jv.jpg

The buyer had asked if we could fill in the tube doors as he was worried about his small children falling out.

P1121715_zpsdb7upi7g.jpg

P1121717_zpspyblw48c.jpg

I cut and painted some alluminium checker plate and riveted it on.

P1121718_zpsrqxqgklx.jpg

Then parked it outside ready for the new owner to pick up.

P1121719_zpslb7ikuaw.jpg

P1121720_zps37rgiw1v.jpg

P1121721_zpsw2xdq1wu.jpg

And finally LJ.

The new suspension arrived a few days before my 4wd trip after my boss got me an amazing price on it.

P1131722_zpsb8f6alt2.jpg

I made a start fitting it.

Rear first.

P1131723_zps2drn51mn.jpg

I needed to remove the OME Defender shocks and Dobinsons 79 series front coils.

P1131724_zpsw1bovxvu.jpg

Shocks removed and comparing the length to the new Dobinsons ones.

P1131725_zps2flbnmdm.jpg

P1131726_zpsmrge8sh1.jpg

A few inches shorter but then this lift kit will drop LJ by about 100mm and the Defender shocks were too short anyway but thats all I could get in Birdsville.

P1131727_zpsi7vjwopi.jpg

And comparing the coils.

P1131728_zps12vhb8eb.jpg

Only about 40mm difference in height but the new springs are much softer.

P1131729_zpse1bp52l5.jpg

I also needed to remove the hastily knocked up using bits of scrap metal and ply wood, spring adapters.

P1131730_zpsmsddgtsp.jpg

I discovered that the inner oil seal has been leaking on the driver side. :thumbdown:

P1131733_zpstxjyemgp.jpg

P1131734_zpsym1dmv5a.jpg

That means that both the pinion oil seal and half shaft oil seal have been leaking and I put this down to the bloody ARB air locker leaking inside the diff and filling the diff full of compressed air. :doh: :icon-evil: :icon-mad

Did I mention I will NEVER fit ARB air lockers to any of my vehicles EVER again! :eusa-naughty:

Too unreliable! :thumbdown:

I'm going for Eaton electric lockers next time! :icon-cool:

The other side looked OK thankfully.

P1131735_zpshnnzi6bg.jpg

P1131736_zpsswaan2xb.jpg

Realising I was running out of time I put it all back together and did the trip.

This week I got a few hours after work and once again cracked on with replacing the suspension.

Removed all this from the rear.

P1192325_zpsch74djld.jpg

And fitted the new coils.

P1192328_zpswdmxqutc.jpg

I was very pleased with how much lower the car was now sitting!

A drop of over 100mm which will not only make LJ legal it will also make it look a lot more legal and mean I'm less likely to get stopped by the police and be hit with a defect notice.

It will also make it more practical getting in and out and putting stuff in the back. I'm also hoping it will make LJ a bit more stable. :icon-biggrin:

P1192329_zpso62vnucv.jpg

P1192330_zps3nm19pxg.jpg

Front next.

P1192331_zpsduibzh7x.jpg

Wheels off.

P1192332_zpswkikdf7x.jpg

I'm really pleased with my drop boxes which have pushed the front axle 50mm forwards.

P1192333_zpsi9x8belw.jpg

But as I'm probably going to use the shocks that have come with the Dobinsons lift kit I wont need the shock absorber top mount relocation brackets.

P1192334_zpswf3tysxn.jpg

Its worth noting that all these custom suspension components that I designed and made before the Simpson trip stood up to the extreme conditions faultlessly! :clap:

It was a combination of rear springs not being rated for the load I was carrying and no rear bump stops which led to the sagging of the springs and failure of the shocks. :icon-ugeek:

Removed the OME 79 series front springs and EFS shocks.

P1192335_zpsnnu8koub.jpg

New Dobinsons springs.

P1192336_zps4pzkfnca.jpg

It got dark and I ran out of time to finish the front.

P1192337_zpsm4tyjfkh.jpg

I found the original bottom spring perches that I cut off my axle when I moved it 50mm forwards.

P1202338_zpsfwj8kthh.jpg

Sadly these wont sit flat on the 6mm flat steel I welded to the axle, so I will need to make some new ones as the ones I made and fitted for the 79 series front springs wont fit the new springs.

P1202339_zpsnbsymb2s.jpg

I cut some tube, this is actually the tube I use for my TIG welding practice forTAFE.

P1202340_zpsey4pt2f2.jpg

Cut and marked some 3mm sheet.

P1202341_zpsuldqytgv.jpg

P1202342_zpsibhr4uux.jpg

P1202343_zpsxccytmyf.jpg

I then drilled out each piece of 3mm with a 92mm hole saw so that the 90mm tube fits through.

The 3mm will have a cut made in it and will then be bent and welded around the tube in a sort of spiral so that the bottom of the spring fits perfectly in it.

Then it can be welded onto the axle and the new springs fitted. :icon-biggrin:

I'm really excited about a little project I'm planning! :dance:

I've thought up a way of making and fitting a 70+ litre aux fuel tank and 30+ litre water tank to LJ as fuel range is a constant issue as 90 litres just isnt enough.

I've got to do some more designing and measuring then I will get the materials ordered.

I'm going to use stainless steel for the water tank and alluminiumised steel for the fuel tank. I will fully TIG weld it so as to avoid the porous welds that seem to be almost unavoidable with MIG.

I will have to pull the rear diff out and fix the air leak and replace the leaking oil seals. I'm also going to look more seriously at converting the rear brakes to discs while its all apart.

I've also got a reasonably big engine oil leak that I need to locate and fix. Its some where above the oil filter on the passenger side of the engine.

So lots to do but then I can get out on some more trips! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi ben you must have a blocked breather to be preasurizing the axle casing or is the compressor running continuously when the locker is engaged?

Trucks looking better already :thumbup: not that it was looking bad in the first place though lol should be more enjoyable offroad

I had real I me seal go due to original breather fail as blocked solid so fitted a landrover diff breather kit and works fine now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Definitely not a blocked breather, unfortunately.

The ARB compressor runs continuously when the rear locker is engaged and as all my breathers are run up to the head of my snorkel I can hear and smell the diff oil bubbling up inside the diff breather tube. :thumbdown:

The only option will be to pull the diff out. :doh:

I've put up with it for quite a few months now and had I done something about it sooner it might not have pushed diff oil past 2 of the seals! :oops:

Ben the owner of Rex on here wants to buy my 2.4 bellhousing, but has an auto box is the auto same as the manual bellhousing? Cheers

Thanks Runekabab, that's what I will be fitting for sure! Made in Melbourne and distributed a lot by Terrain Tamer!

Craig, I think they will be different!
Check on Toyodiy though to be sure. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Yeah Moab would be a great place to 4wd, the home of rock crawling! :icon-twisted:

No I didn't Beno, but I think we saw a "Drive 4 Life" group in the Simpson Desert. :think:

The High Country is huge though so no wonder we didn't see them. :icon-biggrin:

Yep they do the trip out there as well.

Got to say mate i do envy you living down there the Vic High Country is a awesome place no doubt about it.:icon-cool::icon-cool:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

I'm just looking into doing a twin transfer case conversion as I need a lower low range! :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben whilst you are down in Tassie if you have time get down to Cockle creek and Recharge bay down to the south. Great area and also don't forget the west Coast although it will be getting cold and The wind may be getting up a bit. Still worth it though.:thumbup:
Something else to have alook at is Sarah Island which can be done via boat cruise from Strachan. Well worth it. Also check out the SHOT TOWER near Hobart it is all about how they made the lead shot balls in that era.:icon-cool:

Thanks Beno, will have a look. :thumbup:

Funnily enough were off to the shot tower tomorrow!

We've been to the Hastings caves today which were awesome!

This years 4 week holiday is to Europe again.

But next years is going to be Tassie in LJ! :dance:

I'm thinking an entire month down here should mean I can see most of it!

Including all the tough 4wd tracks Tassie is known for!

Can't wait! The Wild West coast will be our first point of call when we get off the boat!

Those tracks around the Arthur Pieman conservation area look amazing! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Beno, will have a look. :thumbup:

Funnily enough were off to the shot tower tomorrow!

We've been to the Hastings caves today which were awesome!

This years 4 week holiday is to Europe again.

But next years is going to be Tassis in LJ! :dance:

I'm thinking an entire month down here should mean I can see most of it!

Including all the tough 4wd tracks Tassie is known for!

Can't wait! The Wild West coast will be our first point of call when we get off the boat!

Those tracks around the Arthur Pieman conservation area look amazing! :cool:

Mate couldn't agree more about Tassie.
My wife and I spent a month down there and we camped around Tassie in a Single pole tent and had a Chescold 50 litre fridge freezer which put out enough heat in the tent at night time to keep the temp just right even when the temps got down to below zero overnight.:icon-cool:

A month just isn't long enough we could have stayed down there longer for sure.
We thinking of going back there in Feb/March next year.:dance:

Sheffield is a nice little town and Stanley.
If you see Poppy fields DON'T let you missus jump the fence to have a look as they are always kept under scrutiny via security cameras as they are opium producing poppy fields. :eusa-naughty:

Aww awesome! :thumbup:

Wow, I didn't know about the opium fields! :icon-smile:

Might see you over here then as were thinking of coming back over in March. We dont want to come much later as it might get a bit cold for camping. :icon-cool:

Hi Ben, I've just finished reading this post from the very beginning. It took me two weeks to read! I feel as if I've just read your diary and have got to know you through a car build. It was quite a journey to follow. I have an FJ70 with a Holden 5 litre injected v8 conversion. I live in South Australia. As you have probably figured out us Aussies like power in our 4x4's!
To be honest I really didn't think you had what it takes to be a welder at first but your latest welds are looking much better. I'm glad you started chamfering the corners to get deeper penetrating welds as the butt joins ground back with the flappy wheel wouldn't have had much meat holding them together. Alloy welding is a pleasure isn't it.
I'm interested to see where your car build goes from here? I would like to do the disk brake conversion too. I'll be watching that closely. I have found a few American conversion kits but I'm wondering about making my own. It doesn't look that hard. Hopefully I'll just copy what ever you do!!!
From reading between the lines in your posts it looks like you've had a few falling out's with some people over here. A bit of friendly advice if you want it! Aussies like to take their time doing something, you cant rush us or change plans without a decent amount of notice! The absolute worst thing for an Aussie is someone who think they are a "know it all"! By no means am I calling you one but just be careful you don't come across as too confident, and inturn make others feel as if they are incorrect. We (Aussies) will help anyone out, we'll generally go a long way to help a total stranger for nothing in return but if that person expects it, or doesn't appreciate it, they'll be marked as a tosser for life!!! Australia might be a massive country but it has a small population and you'll be amazed how often you have to deal with the same people in years to come. Just look out that you don't burn your bridges. You never know when you'll be relying on someone who turns out to be someone from your past!
OK that's my advice over. I hope I haven't offended you, just something I thought I should say.
Back to the cars, I don't have a winch yet. I don't have anywhere near as much steep, muddy, rocky ground over here in S.A. as you do in Vic so I doubt I'll need it as often? Do you think the high mount is really necessary? I liked the look of the warn zeon platinum 12. Maybe its a bit too flash for my FJ? I just want something reliable really. I'm also going to put front and back lockers in. I was just going to go with ARB air lockers but after reading your posts I'm thinking the E-Locker is looking pretty good!
Hope your enjoying Tassie mate, I look forward to seeing you out on the 4x4 tracks sometime.

Cheers,

Ash.

PS. wow you Poms eat a lot of shit! cheese and sausage sandwiches for breakfast every day. Steak and mash for dinner! LJ must smell of rank fart mate! :obscene-tolietpush:hahaha!

PS. wow you Poms eat a lot of shit! cheese and sausage sandwiches for breakfast every day. Steak and mash for dinner! LJ must smell of rank fart mate! :obscene-tolietpush:hahaha!

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Back