Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Long distance run

Lewis07

First proper long distance run in my 120 sees me and family heading down to south of France. 822 miles through the night. Will be very interested to see how the cruiser compares to my old Disco 3.

how you finding the 120?

I had a D3 3 or 4 yrs ago, 80k, fsh 1 owner (54 plate) and had noend of trouble with it. I had it four months, and got shut before the warranty expired.
when it worked, it was superb, but there was no way you can have one long term, which was my plan, so i px'd it on my 120, and lost 3k..... the best 3 k I've spent!

Relatively, the 120 is less refined, slower, and more agricultural, but infinately better built, and a car you own for a decade.

Enjoy the trip, did something similar to thd French Alps a few years ago and arrived feeling fine. Will be a breeze

how you finding the 120?

I had a D3 3 or 4 yrs ago, 80k, fsh 1 owner (54 plate) and had noend of trouble with it. I had it four months, and got shut before the warranty expired.
when it worked, it was superb, but there was no way you can have one long term, which was my plan, so i px'd it on my 120, and lost 3k..... the best 3 k I've spent!

Relatively, the 120 is less refined, slower, and more agricultural, but infinately better built, and a car you own for a decade.

I'm loving the 120 thanks, as is the wife who uses it as a daily drive. Looking forward to the trip!

Have always enjoyed the long-haul drives in a cruiser - means I'm going somewhere fun! The 120 is comfy too - drive safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First proper long distance run in my 120 sees me and family heading down to south of France. 822 miles through the night. Will be very interested to see how the cruiser compares to my old Disco 3.

Sounds good, I too will be taking my 80 Series on a long run next week.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Lewis,

First things first,,,,,,,
When you have a Land Cruiser, you have to redefine "proper long distance run"

You will arrive there, and wonder where the miles have gone?, where are we now?, are we there already,?

I hope your using the free "non Toll" route?
A75 Millau etc?

If you don't know the free toll route, or want to do the 95% of the way, free toll, I can dig out the route instructions.

So easy.

Gra.

Last edited:
no problems with my wee 90 - done the Doncaster to Dordogne trip 3x now.
Steve

Hi Lewis,

First things first,,,,,,,
When you have a Land Cruiser, you have to redefine "proper long distance run"

You will arrive there, and wonder where the miles have gone?, where are we now?, are we there already,?

I hope your using the free "non Toll" route?
A75 Millau etc?

If you don't know the free toll route, or want to do the 95% of the way, free toll, I can dig out the route instructions.

So easy.

Gra.

Cheers Gra but prefer to just get a crack on through the night and have a Dart tag which keeps us moving. Thanks anyway. Maybe another time we'll try your route.

Have done that run in my 90, and it was supreme on the long haul.. comfort is fantastic for a 'shiny tractor' as my mate calls it.. Can only imagine the 120 would be a joy also.

Made it! Cruiser cracked the journey down to Cavalaire last night in 13 hours door to door. Quick, quiet and comfortable. We had rain, and fog at times, which was nice, but it's sunny and quite warm this morning. Coming back in the day so looking for an even better run then.

Good,

Nice easy trip,

How are the headlights?

Gra.

Headlights were fine thanks. Not going to bother upgrading them now. Got flashed a few times by lorries on the other carriageway as I hadn't put the beam stickers on!

A great return leg on Saturday. Hugely impressed with my Cruiser on all counts. Just wanted to share. :)

So what are your thoughts compared to the Disco 3?

I wouldn't think the ride quality from the D3 would be much different.

Fuel economy, road noise, all very similar.

The difference is, what lies in the back of Your mind, in respect of all the “reliability” will it get me there, thoughts.

I would say the general feeling of reliability, true or not, would lay in the Toyota's favour.

Gra.

Hi, with technology so much more improve now-a-days most vehicles should be able to do what they say they should and boils down to individual preferance. Can't say much bad about the D3. My main draw to the LC 120 is the RSJ network underneath cab. I feel alot less guilty getting the inside mucky and less worried if I scratch the paint work when off the road. The Aussies go by the saying "you can go into the outback with most vehicles, take a toyota if you want to come back".

So what are your thoughts compared to the Disco 3?

Its not quite as straight and true to drive and the seats are not as good. Performance and economy are similar. I prefer the looks of the Disco but there are too many of them about. Both feel bomb-proof but the difference I suspect is that the Cruiser really is. I would never buy another Disco but would certainly buy another Land Cruiser. I was in Dubai this week and there are thousands of them over there. Lots of lovely looking gleeming white Amazons!

I am a convert to the marque but still love my Defenders. The Disco however has been seen off by its Japanese rival in my book.

Back