Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a replacement 80

Hmmmm...

9b3a818c.jpg

Gary, don't worry about that. This thread has run on track for some good while.

Can I take this opportunity, before it does descend into nonsense, to say just how incredibly touched I am by all of your calls, mails, PM and postings. I have had some simply phenomenal offers from people whom I have never met and some who I have come to count as personal friends. To each and every one of you who have helped so far and have offered help or simply moral support, thank you. I am sure that I will get sorted in the end and be back on the road again.

This forum has become a community, far more than any other that I have been on and it has touched me deeply (cue for Gav to say something, go on Gav you can't help it mate) in that there is there is this incredible bond between all of us centred around a simple collection of nuts bolts and clunky parts that is the Land Cruiser. OK LC don't go clunk - fair point.

Each of us has a bond with their own vehicle which we all understand. Daft isn't it, but there it is. GW wasn't just a Land Cruiser, it was MY Land Cruiser and I am sad that there is one less in the World. I feel responsible in some way or depriving the Planet of one more of these magnificent beasts (Other models are available, terms and conditions apply). I'm not a soppy sod, but I have felt this loss pretty hard having strived so much to get one in the first place. I can see why people love them so.

I shall return, bigger and badder then before, possible in a different colour, but that welder will be out and so will the spanners.

Thank you one and all. You are a helluva bunch and I thank you.

Chris

Chris said:
I shall return, bigger and badder then before, possible in a different colour, but that welder will be out and so will the spanners.

And I for one am looking forward the the next series of tutorials and stripping and rebuilding well,........everything. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:

a 100 then? Can I choose the colour this time? I think it's only fair in case I actually get 'round to buying one off you... :dance:

Ahh, yes, of course you wanted GW, didn't I transfer ownership to you on Monday night? I'm sure I did. Is the cheque in the post? It's all here ready waiting for you. All polished up! I know I said it looked good in black and white, but I meant paint not soot.

Jeez can you imagine if I'd sold it to you and the next day it had gone up like that? What a nightmare. Well for you that is.

I sold LB to Tony without a scratch on it and look what he's done to it. Kinda the reverse huh? :whistle:

Chris

Blaaarrrgggghhh - someone delete this crock already....
Howzat buddy :mrgreen:

hi Chris,

Sorry to see it like that, I have only read half of the thread.

As you might remember I use to work for a recovery company. What you have to watch out for is all the melted plastic, as it is carsagenic (bad spelling) and if you decide to try to keep it you will have to dispose of the bits in the right way.

As for the front axle "been good" you would need to rebuild it as most of the seals will be shot as the heat would have damaged them, same for the front diff, the heat will have change the hardness of the bearings and gears.

Paul

Gav, I bet you are a blast at funerals. You arse. :clap:

C

I always carry a spade dude, just in case :p

But what shape? Broad & pointy; square or flat? Tricky one really... Anyone, anyone???

Hey, you asked, me hearts in the right shape really... Honest :p

Paul, not sure exactly if that is a legal term 'agree', but on the policy I had said what it was worth if that's what you mean. Now, I could have said £500, 000 as there has never seemed to be a mechanism where they come back and say nah, you're joking, more like £3475.76 know what I mean? They just ask you and you say something close to what you paid.

Does this really affect the premium?
If you said £3000 at the time, is this up for challenge should prices have gone up and now you think it's £5k?
I don't think that they take the figure that you mention that much into account do they?
if you have a new Ferrari and said value - £200 on the form and then crashed it, would they be rubbing their hands as legally they only have to offer max £200?

It is so long since I claimed on any insurance for anything that have no idea what goes on nowadays.

Have you an idea forming?

Chris

I know a chap who had an agreed value on his vw camper @ £7k and each year he renewed the insurance without a review of the agreed value. 2 or 3 years later the whole thing went up in smoke on the side of the M5. Insurance paid out £11k as he could prove that's what he would have got for it if he'd sold it, due to forum build threads and links to finished eBay items in similar condition :thumbup:

If/when your LC is written off, it's down to the insurance company to put you back where you were before financially..... therefore you should get the "market value" for a similar spec/condition 80, the "agreed value" will be largely irrelevant. Obviously they too have a duty to mitigate their losses, so they will typically make you an offer towards the lower end of the market - especially in the case of a 15yr old non-classic* car.

Now you may be able to use various means, and this is where guys like CF may come in useful, to prove to the Ins Co. that their offer is lower than is should be.......

In any case regardless, I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

* I appreciate that they are classics to us ;)

Chris, mine is insured for £8000. So if the same thing happened themwould payout atleast that amount. I have everything listed even nonstand tyre size.

Thanks chaps. That's what I am aiming for and of course in terms of evidence I can just print 'Cruiser of the Month - Feb' out and submit that!! :p

This will be a real test of Flux insurance. I too had declared everything on there but whether there is any accounting for things like tyres etc , we'll have to see. If they just give me market value for a std 80 I'd be not unhappy but of course there are so many extras to have to buy then like tyres and suspension, again. I won't get GW market value, I'll just get basic 80 value.

Chris

Do you know when the assessor is coming out to see you yet Christof?

No fella. I don't. In truth, they can come at anytime. It's hardly going to need me to open the vehicle for them to have a look.

C

Back