Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a replacement 80

I just saw this! Man I am so sorry for you Chris. I can only imagine what you feel like after all the work you have done.
I hope it goes easier for you after you get sorted and I look forward to seeing your next 'cruiser.
Best of luck Fella.
HT

Cheers. Yep, still gutted and it still stinks! The drive is an oily mess, the kitchen floor is black, the garage is a right state, the drains are full of ash. The fridge (new Waeco CF 40) is buggered. All my kit is covered in oily grime and I can't get it off my fingers! The aftermath is going to be pretty protracted I fear.

CHris

Chris,

Jonnie told me about your terrible news. I'd have written earlier but I've been off line for a couple of weeks.

I'm absolutely gutted for you.
You must feel heartbroken - so much work, so much effort, so much love all up in smoke. (yea, yea, I know - but we all love our trucks - even on bad days!).

I'm away next week but if there is anything that we can do to help please let us know - we're only an hour or so away.

Hopefully you can get sorted with Mr Flux to get the usable bits to use on 'The Pheonix'

Kind regards,

Thank you Rodger. That's very kind. I have had many offers from all over. Hey we could have a BBQ here!

There isn't much to be done at present, just all keep your eyes peeled for a nice 80 for me. I'd like to make it to Lincomb in a replacement even if it's like last year. Std tyres and no mods! Yep, this time last year GW was still in std format with all its faults.

I think that the most help will be in finding a replacement and possible going to see one local to you where ever it may be to see if it's a clunker or a runner.

Thanks again Rodger. See you in May!

PS your 40 did look just right on Tony's web page. Lovely as always.

Karl - on the fridge front, I have scrubbed it as clean as it will go, but it's not that - it's not actually working. The fire boys soaked absolutely everything inside and I think that the circuitry is burnt out.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
The fire boys soaked absolutely everything inside and I think that the circuitry is burnt out.Chris
I'm certainly not knocking the Fire Brigade, they do an essential job, but I do remember reading somewhere that after most fires the most damage is from the water that put the fire out.

Problem is Chas that is spreads the smoke residue in solution. So it gets everywhere, even in the bottom of the fridge which was closed! The contents were ruined including things that were sealed my my chocky digestives and tea bags. WTF!

C

I don't know if this helps but my mate does soda blasting, apparently a very common use for it apart from restoring cars is for removing the burnt smell from houses that have suffered fire damage.
Baking soda is a natural deodoriser.
If you could get hold of someone who does it near to you it may be worth getting stuff blasted to stop the stink?

Cheers Bounder, but I think the problem's a bit bigger than that. It's easing off gradually, but the tar from the drive is getting everywhere now. I'd need to blast the whole car, house and garden!

Chris

Oh dear . . I just caught up with this :o .

Really sorry to hear about GW Chris, I hope you get a decent Insurance settlement and find a good replacement.

Just a thought - if you are keeping the chassis, it would be an opportunity to get it sand blasted and galvanised before you slip it under another body :thumbup:

Very relieved that no-one was hurt and that your house is OK (apart from the smell :doh: ).

All the best - if there is anything I can do to help just give me a call.

Bob.

Oooh, nice idea Bob. Not thought of that, Hell of a lot of work but a galv'd chassis? Mmmmn.

80 chassis are actually very good and don't really rot badly, but that is one nice thought. Might be worth doing just for the added value then seeing it it'll sell - Kerching!!!

Thanks for the offer Bob. I may need someone to look at a vehicle at some point. Never know, it might be near you.

Chris

Chris said:
Oooh, nice idea Bob. Not thought of that, Hell of a lot of work but a galv'd chassis? Mmmmn.

80 chassis are actually very good and don't really rot badly, but that is one nice thought. Might be worth doing just for the added value then seeing it it'll sell - Kerching!!!
Chris

This isn't really viable anymore unless you refit it to the same vehicle Chris. DVLA have put paid to it. In the past you could have used it to build up another vehicle & applied for a Q plate, but I think it's virtually impossible now.

The only way you can legally fit a galvanised chassis is to buy a brand new one. Which for a Cruiser would be a new one from Mr T, then blasted & hot dip galvanised.

I rebuilt my landrover on a new galvanised chassis from Designa chassis over 10 years ago, unfortunately it's a minefield now. :thumbdown:

totally OT but what is the appeal about a galvanised chassis? is it only for corrosion or am I missing something? If your 80 is 20 years old and the chassis has not yet rusted, it'll live another 20 with a bit of normal care? Why would the DVLA stop this? What's it to them?

I know it's all the legal bull5hit, however, if you had your chassis galvanised it would cover the chassis number anyway, so who's to know which car it's off :evil:

Chassis is the main id on a cruiser nick as the only other id is on the bulk head that id rivited on ( Easy swap) Or the numbers on the engine. If the chassis numbers couldnt be seen then pc plod would prob drag the car in for inspection maybe.

Still a nice idea though. Why - well why not. Why's that never been a good enough reason? :lol:

C

BIG clean GREEN said:
I know it's all the legal bull5hit, however, if you had your chassis galvanised it would cover the chassis number anyway, so who's to know which car it's off :evil:
yawn. I wonder how many stolen cars are striped, hot-dipped and reassembled. Just the other day I saw some lads in shell suits stripping a Fiesta. Must have been what they were getting read for...

Does seem another OTT "law".

Crispin said:
Just the other day I saw some lads in shell suits stripping a Fiesta.
You should have said you were in Liverpool Cris - you could have popped in for a cuppa :shifty:

Back