Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy low mileage 80 series

I stopped looking at diesels and went petrol, they command less money and condition is generally better, one without lpg even more so. Depends on your use and expected miles tbh. Low milers will have a higher price. I personally wouldn't pay 15k for one being a diesel, I'd buy a hilux double cab instead

Some people might think what I've done to a low mile good condition 80 is sacrilegious but it's why I wanted a solid Base.

Tell you what, if you could get that for a bit less, get it bought. It's like a new one. It's not far from me either. That place has been there for a long time but doesn't usually have Toyotas in. Frankly I can feel my wallet twitching. Just when we said you'd not find a mint low mileage 80 - along comes this one! Advisories on an MOT are nothing. That thing is as close to a new one as you're likely to find.

Somebody stop me!

Ive called and he's said £500 off but if no one beats me to it maybe i could get it to £15k.

I need to sort out parking! A car is going to have to go.

Still silly money. I'd go to £12 perhaps but we just know that he'll only have paid £3000 for it.

Still silly money. I'd go to £12 perhaps but we just know that he'll only have paid £3000 for it.

Problem is show me another? I'm still going to see the petrol, I have no idea but maybe 14 cash would interest him. The diesel is two owner, last owner from1 year old.

If you're considering paying that kind of money I'd start searching in Japan.

I didn't even know that Toyota made a petrol manual but there's plenty over there.

Some of the condition of them is stunning too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A £6k truck with 180k on the clock is going to rebuild up better with £9k being spent on it than the base £15k truck there. Specially since at £15k you are still going to need more spent on it to get it into regular service.

Imho anyway.

Also worth pointing out that 23k or so gets you a brand new 79 landed inthe UK
Admittedly its not a 80 and it would be 1hz engine... but still, 20yr old 80 for £15k

A £6k truck with 180k on the clock is going to rebuild up better with £9k being spent on it than the base £15k truck there. Specially since at £15k you are still going to need more spent on it to get it into regular service.

Imho anyway.

For me it's simply down to the condition underneath. If the 180k truck is rotten then you'll never fix it no matter how much you spend.

I have considered Japan, you don't get any bargains though and that's before import. They tend to have money spent on them and are not original inside.

The English car at 14k looks to be better value than importing a car you don't see until it's here and paid for.

It's got 10 stamps but unfortunately no invoices just record of last cambelt change at 55k miles and last service was June this year.

Is a diesel twice as good as the petrol?

For me it's simply down to the condition underneath. If the 180k truck is rotten then you'll never fix it no matter how much you spend.

Agree.

That was the premise in my statement. It's not just about the milage, get a clean rust free ( or as close to), pay a fair price and then finish up to required standard.

I have considered Japan, you don't get any bargains though and that's before import. They tend to have money spent on them and are not original inside.

The English car at 14k looks to be better value than importing a car you don't see until it's here and paid for.

It's got 10 stamps but unfortunately no invoices just record of last cambelt change at 55k miles and last service was June this year.

On the plus side though they don't seem to hauling 3 tonnes of trailer all over the place and are generally looked after.

Personally i struggle to understand the holy grail "good 80" syndrome , spend 10k+ on a "good" truck and its 20 years old anyway , as has been said low milers will suffer with dried up seals and brittle rubber etc so baselining is on the cards anyway .

Against spending 3k and keeping 7 to pay for baselining a bespoke interior , pro rustproofing , big end bearings etc .

This is a question rather than an opinion and i would be interested in others views on the subject ?

Personally i struggle to understand the holy grail "good 80" syndrome , spend 10k+ on a "good" truck and its 20 years old anyway , as has been said low milers will suffer with dried up seals and brittle rubber etc so baselining is on the cards anyway .

Against spending 3k and keeping 7 to pay for baselining a bespoke interior , pro rustproofing , big end bearings etc .

This is a question rather than an opinion and i would be interested in others views on the subject ?

Put it this way if a garaged 20k mileage 80 came up tomorrow for £20k. I'd buy it straight off.

Well it just goes to show doesn't it
Been and had a look and I wouldn't swap it for mine
I didn't like the underside at all
Thick black under seal which to me was covering up a poor chassis etc ok could be wrong but it didn't look like 65k mikes to me
The rest checked out but underneath? They'd paimted everything but the exhaust and I mean everything

Some of the Japanese vehicle are literally 'like new', I imported an 80 series some years ago into Africa and it was showroom condition...

Thick black under seal which to me was covering up a poor chassis etc ok could be wrong but it didn't look like 65k mikes to me
The rest checked out but underneath? They'd paimted everything but the exhaust and I mean everything
Are you referring to the manual £15k car? Do you think the garage selling it has painted it? Did you mention your thoughts to them?

What's your car like?

Last edited:

I take it that the underseal was painted on yesterday?

Also worth pointing out that 23k or so gets you a brand new 79 landed inthe UK
Admittedly its not a 80 and it would be 1hz engine... but still, 20yr old 80 for £15k
New 79 in the UK... tell me more?!?

The one at White post that I said was close to me.

Bloke was nice enough but not interested. As far as he was concerned it was sold so there's no point talking further. "Bloke on his way from Aberdeen to buy it" "And other coming from Richmond"

He was too busy reading the paper and just didn't seem to grasp that a bloke who'd just pulled up in a massive 80 might just know a bit more about these than he did. Obviously it had a price and that was what he was going to get.

Now the two blokes coming might not appear. They might not like it, they might not want to pay the screen price. So, did he take my details? Nope. Didn't even give me the key. Not interested.

So it didn't excite me at all. I certainly wouldn't give that money without getting properly;y under it.

No idea when it was painted. But it was thick black schlep and that puts me straight off. At 65 k it should be been factory paint and beautiful. Was it done to protect all that loveliness or to hide something. But hide what? Hey maybe it only ever came out in Winter to be driven in salt. Perhaps it was only ever used to launch a jet ski. The tow bar was massive. Never seen one like that before.

So I don't know. I just didn't like it.

Back