Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy low mileage 80 series

When start it from cold make sure no blue smoke or oily smell from the exhaust, valve stem oil seals are prone if been stood a lot (they harden) will probably smell fuel rich but that's normal.
Will idle high cold, when warmed up which doesn't take long it'll settle down to 700 to 800 rpm and can hardly tell they're running, air conditioning turned on will increase rpm to around 1000 rpm if it's working.

Gear change should be smooth even if driving hard, torque converter will lock about 45 mph when warmed up, shouldn't really feel it just the revs drop. Also when kick the box down it should be fairly smooth and off you go. Engine shouldn't make much fuss even at higher speeds.
Being such low mileage it's barely run in so it's not likely to give any headaches

As I said before make sure it's got both the in line cat converters (under drivers door area) i looked at a couple which didn't when looking for mine.

As said by others the rest comes down to the general condition underneath.

Hopefully it's the genuine vehicle it appears.

When start it from cold make sure no blue smoke or oily smell from the exhaust, valve stem oil seals are prone if been stood a lot (they harden) will probably smell fuel rich but that's normal.
Will idle high cold, when warmed up which doesn't take long it'll settle down to 700 to 800 rpm and can hardly tell they're running, air conditioning turned on will increase rpm to around 1000 rpm if it's working.

Gear change should be smooth even if driving hard, torque converter will lock about 45 mph when warmed up, shouldn't really feel it just the revs drop. Also when kick the box down it should be fairly smooth and off you go. Engine shouldn't make much fuss even at higher speeds.
Being such low mileage it's barely run in so it's not likely to give any headaches

As I said before make sure it's got both the in line cat converters (under drivers door area) i looked at a couple which didn't when looking for mine.

As said by others the rest comes down to the general condition underneath.

Hopefully it's the genuine vehicle it appears.

Something along these lines?

IMG_4854.PNG

Yeah like that. One is part of the front pipe and one is a separate part. Just an extra thing to look for on a petty while poking underneath.

We have a new member on here, Carl, who came to the AO show last weekend. He has an import and the underside was like a showroom vehicle. If that one today had looked like that, I might have offered a cheeky £12k and left my number with him. But I don't want one that badly when I've got two already.

Is Carl's members name Carl? I'd like to ask him about the process he went through.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
He didn't import it. He bought it here in the UK. It was imported some years back by the PO.

A 1994 M reg 4.2 VX diesel with 143K on clock has just come up on Toyota Landcruiser Mart UK, uber clean interior. Says Sheffield/GBP5500. But being a foreigner I wouldn't know where that is in the UK.

So I've been to see the petrol. Drive wise it turned in sharper to the right and the ac wasn't working. It pulled strong, I liked it, I think the manual might be quite fun even on road.

The chap said no tow bar looks to have been fitted. The interior was good, both converters were there, tyres looked old but lots of tread and no date.

No Rust I could see on the panels, none around tail gate, windows, only thing that didn't thrill me about was the paint but it looked original. A few spider webs and scratches, bigger one on bonnet and big web on corner of rear bumper. Now bear in mind this was the first one I looked at I thought the under side looked rusty and few weeping areas of oil. When I said to guy he said this is one of the better ones.

Do all the engine bays look to be painted with a flat paint and not the particular finish of the outside?

IMG_4859.JPG IMG_4861.JPG IMG_4862.JPG IMG_4863.JPG IMG_4864.JPG IMG_4866.JPG IMG_4867.JPG IMG_4869.JPG

have you bought it then ?

No, i was hoping these photos might give you lot a chance to say a bit more about the car?

The engine doesn't look as clean as the car Chris see but that could easily be dressed.

From the pics it looks a fairly honest and unmolested under side to me, sharper turning could just be worn bushes (they're old after all) prob it's original exhaust. Air con will be the condenser most likely, oil weeps depends where from but again it's old.
Engine bay is cleaner then mine currently! Shiny bay could be trying to hide something so not bad it's a bit dirty.

No manual petrol UK model but can drive it like a manual when needs must tbh, long steep twists roads.

They do pull well and sound sweet.
Was it nice, smooth and quiet at idle too?

Looks like it needs a good baseline service etc and it'll be a good motor.

From the pics it looks a fairly honest and unmolested under side to me, sharper turning could just be worn bushes (they're old after all) prob it's original exhaust. Air con will be the condenser most likely, oil weeps depends where from but again it's old.
Engine bay is cleaner then mine currently! Shiny bay could be trying to hide something so not bad it's a bit dirty.

No manual petrol UK model but can drive it like a manual when needs must tbh, long steep twists roads.

They do pull well and sound sweet.
Was it nice, smooth and quiet at idle too?

Looks like it needs a good baseline service etc and it'll be a good motor.

When i first started it up the idle was going from high to low but not so much erratic, more like it meant to be doing it and then it settled around the first digit on the rev counter i think but my minds saying second.

It felt a powerful machine, i had just driven my turbo to see it and this felt aggressively powerful in comparison. I know they're chalk and cheese but i could tell it could pull and thats coming out a 500bhp car.

Im sure a deal can be done but when you're then asking them to sort out issues, air condenser, bushes, have it serviced I can't see them adjusting the price much. I'd like to see some more though so i have better understand ing of good and bad.

Sounds fairly normal tbh. Mine does about 1200 rpm cold but if I start it with the ac on it does 1400 rpm lol. Mine isn't stock though so sometimes does odd things!

Would be good if a deal could be done. Mine was advertised at 6500 and paid 4400 but private sale not a trader.

Back