Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy low mileage 80 series

New 79 in the UK... tell me more?!?

Atleast 4 people doing this. @stan has a prep'd truck. The folks at http://www.angliavehicles.co.uk/ came recommended and I know 2 people who got their 70s from them in the last year. There is a chap down in Rye doing something similar, but seems to only want to talk to companies or people buying more than a few. So there are a few options.

I think thatsfair enough pal I just hope I dont see pictures of your new grey 80 LC soon Haha. I'm the guy from Richmond but don't think I'll be making it as easy as it sounds for him.

Shame I was thinking could be a great car at those miles.

Glad you looked at it though as had I turned up I may of just seen a clean example and wouldn't have known about some of your points. Hence why I shouldn't do this on my own merit.

Last edited:
Mate, you're certainly not going to see pictures of that on my drive any time soon. Outwardly it looked clean, but not sparkling. I think it was straight but there was something about it that made me wonder why the engine bay was the best looking bit. If it had been £10k, I'd have got under it and crawled around with a lamp and if OK I'd have chucked the cash on the bonnet and bought it. But £15k and little chance of movement, nah. It's just stupid. It had a new exhaust which is good, but makes me wonder why it needed one in only 65k miles.

I don't like under-seal as I've said, but obviously it has its place. But who paints everything including the dampers?

Someone on here might get it and once inspected it could turn out to be a 1 in a million. But to be worth £15 of my money, it would have to make me wee myself when I looked underneath. We have a new member on here, Carl, who came to the AO show last weekend. He has an import and the underside was like a showroom vehicle. If that one today had looked like that, I might have offered a cheeky £12k and left my number with him. But I don't want one that badly when I've got two already.

Atleast 4 people doing this. @stan has a prep'd truck. The folks at http://www.angliavehicles.co.uk/ came recommended and I know 2 people who got their 70s from them in the last year. There is a chap down in Rye doing something similar, but seems to only want to talk to companies or people buying more than a few. So there are a few options.

You'd really need to have the hots for a 70 series to buy a LHD with a 1HZ engine IMO.
Now if it was one of these......http://www3.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70?_ga=1.26434040.41792321898.33691281089....:thumbup: I've heard (or read) that the 79 with the V8 Tdi engine isn't Euro 4 compliant, hence no imports? Will this still apply after Brexit I wonder??

Also worth pointing out that 23k or so gets you a brand new 79 landed inthe UK
Admittedly its not a 80 and it would be 1hz engine... but still, 20yr old 80 for £15k

Is that plus vat kb for a brand new one?

If it's not I may give them a shout and keep for life

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mate, you're certainly not going to see pictures of that on my drive any time soon. Outwardly it looked clean, but not sparkling. I think it was straight but there was something about it that made me wonder why the engine bay was the best looking bit. If it had been £10k, I'd have got under it and crawled around with a lamp and if OK I'd have chucked the cash on the bonnet and bought it. But £15k and little chance of movement, nah. It's just stupid. It had a new exhaust which is good, but makes me wonder why it needed one in only 65k miles.

I don't like under-seal as I've said, but obviously it has its place. But who paints everything including the dampers?

Someone on here might get it and once inspected it could turn out to be a 1 in a million. But to be worth £15 of my money, it would have to make me wee myself when I looked underneath. We have a new member on here, Carl, who came to the AO show last weekend. He has an import and the underside was like a showroom vehicle. If that one today had looked like that, I might have offered a cheeky £12k and left my number with him. But I don't want one that badly when I've got two already.

Your comments do put me off the car for sure, i know jack about these cars so i can only trust experienced owners views. Is there someone in your area you class as more knowledgeable than yourself to clarify exactly what I'm looking at and ask the right questions directly to the garage? Might be a waste of time anyway and the Aberdeen guys gets down there! ;)

He told me two "lady" owners! I laughed as you said about how big the tow bar was. I wouldn't want to meet these woman on a dark night. haha

I didn't get time to look at the petrol car today.

Last edited:
Ive just gone through the history if its complete on the advert and there is a 4-5 year gap on the history which i would not expect at the price level.

This was on last MOT,
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
    offside front wheel bearing has slight play
    nearside front wheel bearing has slight play
    offside rear shocker damp
    nearside rear shocker damp
    child seat fitted to middle row nearside seat unable to fully inspect adult belt

Last edited:
Is it just me that thinks Bund is searching blindly for the wrong truck using the wrong criteria ?

Is it just me that thinks Bund is searching blindly for the wrong truck using the wrong criteria ?

You might be right, up till now i've bought new cars in comparison to a 20 year old toyota apart from a 993 which was in my area and all the history added up and a friend who owns a good body shop in area went and see it for me and let me know what was needed body wise, mechanically it was a sorted car.

You guys might be using these things for different reasons to what ill use it for. I have a decent sport and I need a big car for work bits and the dog. If i get a great example maybe ill sell my sport and upgrade my other car to something else. Like you say I'm probably using the wrong criteria.

Quote "Is there someone in your area you class as more knowledgeable than yourself to clarify exactly what I'm looking at and ask the right questions directly to the garage?"

It's a good job I am not easily offended. I'm on my 6th Landcruiser, moderator on a Landcrusier forum, with over 12,000 posts, built 4 project vehicles from scratch and work on other people's cruisers including custom fabrication work?

Let me just think about that for a minute ...

Put it this way if a garaged 20k mileage 80 came up tomorrow for £20k. I'd buy it straight off.
I think there might be quite a few up for such a vehicle, the thing about these trucks as has been already said, all the mechanicals can be sorted, even a brand new Diesel engine , they are advertised in the French magazine " Toyo" for €10,ooo. New, not recon, mine has 305K miles ( most of which are mine) , I'd check the levels and confidently drive to South Africa tomorrow, so mileage for me, ain't a problem, condition is, generally tho they go together, I do find the subject interesting, and I hope it works out for Bund, I've referred on this forum that the price we pay for bruisers in this country is less than most of Europe, Wouldn't it be lovely to have a total body off refurb/ rebuild? I haven't the resources or the money to do it, but it's a pipe dream.
Best regards to all, hope it all works out for you Bund, and welcome to one of the best forums. Bill Westley

Last edited:
Chip in windscreen not a big issue, wheel bearings slight play not an issue as ideally they'd get stripped as part of a baseline service, shockers are 20 years old even with low miles. All items to knock money off imo.

If the body, chassis and major mechanicals are as they should be everything else is minor.
Even body work is fixable as long as not dealing with rot or shoddy repairs.

Gap in history could be it's been parked up and not used or done a couple of hundred miles so they decided to not get it serviced.

Quote "Is there someone in your area you class as more knowledgeable than yourself to clarify exactly what I'm looking at and ask the right questions directly to the garage?"

It's a good job I am not easily offended. I'm on my 6th Landcruiser, moderator on a Landcrusier forum, with over 12,000 posts, built 4 project vehicles from scratch and work on other people's cruisers including custom fabrication work?

Let me just think about that for a minute ...

Pal you have taken my comments in the wrong way and I apologise. I was just thinking maybe you assume someone who might know more than you to say actually it is a good car because you said this "Someone on here might get it and once inspected it could turn out to be a 1 in a million."

Sorry for if i did cause any offence. I've appreciated everyones time on replying.

It's a lot of money Bund and i'm sure non of us would like to see you wrong . The Landcruisers reputation is built on many things but its capability to cover galactic miles with only regular servicing has to be one of its greatest strengths .

I'm thinking a 4.2 diesel Amazon (100 series) with about 100k on the clock and a full service history would fit your needs better .

Don't worry Bund, I'm not offended in the slightest. You don't know who is replying to your thread from Adam. We're a tight community on here and converse regulalry and in fact meet up 3 to 4 times per year. It's hard for a newbie to know who they are talking to. But a quick look on the forum and you'll soon see who's who.

Long and short of it is this. Bearing in mind I do know quite a lot about 80's.

The car looks straight. I have not driven it. There are a couple of bits here and there on it like a slightly skew filler flap but it looks OK as it stands. It's on utterly atrocious tyres. The Enduro Runway, or Runaway as we call them are death waiting to happen. Now, the dealer won't see it that way, but as anyone who's ever driven on them does know, they are shocking. Now why put budget tyres on a beautiful, cherished machine? Probably to get it through an MOT and sell it. I'd be looking to spend at least £900 on tyres the very day I took it home. But there's no way they'll knock that off the price.

Underneath was just a mass of black. Even the roll bar tie rods were painted. Now who does that? If you took it and had it professionally done there's no way they'd do that to it, so I am suspicious.

As I didn't have the keys, I couldn't inspect the door shuts or bonnet valance etc. That would have revealed a respray if there'd been one. Both the TURBO stickers were present and looked original so it's not been worked on in that area I'd say.

Now without being able to get a proper look underneath with a good torch, I can't say anymore. I couldn't see any leaks or drips because it was as black as night under there.

There was no corrosion around the rear screen seal and the sliding window runners looked good and not distorted where the aluminium frame blows behind the seal. Probably been garaged.

OK so what.

Well if I had to work on it, I'd not fancy being covered in black bitumen every time I got the spanners out. That's just nasty. And what would I find under there? I don't know and that's the point. There's no way I'd spend £16 on a Cruiser that I could not see every nut and bolt.

These guys have bought it probably from some probate deal, looked it over and said £16k. They've put an advert on not expecting anyone to come along and look underneath. They'd expect a quick test drive and then cash down.

Al and I went to look at a similar superb 80 some time back. Oh it was the most perfect 80 in the world they said. True the chassis looked like a new one. Then we noticed the shut lines on the bonnet. It had been hit. Then I looked on the roof which was so battered that there were dents deep enough to take a mobile phone. Screen prices was £15k. And they still wouldn't budge. They'd no idea at all that the roof was bashed in.

So, Bund. Don't waste your time asking the dealers questions. They know shit. To them it's immaculate. You can point out defects here and there but they just won't be listening. And a couple of months down the line, it'll still be sitting there for the same money. Unless they've duped someone from Aberdeen into buying it.

This car is a gamble. It's not clear cut. If this had been bare underneath, I'd have been thinking about pulling out some savings, selling my green one and putting this into the unit for a rainy day. If that is worth £16k then someone needs to prove it to me. My point is (well one of several) that you can get a decent Cruiser with a nice interior for less than that without contributing to someone's early retirement fund.

Don't worry Bund, I'm not offended in the slightest. You don't know who is replying to your thread from Adam. We're a tight community on here and converse regulalry and in fact meet up 3 to 4 times per year. It's hard for a newbie to know who they are talking to. But a quick look on the forum and you'll soon see who's who.

Long and short of it is this. Bearing in mind I do know quite a lot about 80's.

The car looks straight. I have not driven it. There are a couple of bits here and there on it like a slightly skew filler flap but it looks OK as it stands. It's on utterly atrocious tyres. The Enduro Runway, or Runaway as we call them are death waiting to happen. Now, the dealer won't see it that way, but as anyone who's ever driven on them does know, they are shocking. Now why put budget tyres on a beautiful, cherished machine? Probably to get it through an MOT and sell it. I'd be looking to spend at least £900 on tyres the very day I took it home. But there's no way they'll knock that off the price.

Underneath was just a mass of black. Even the roll bar tie rods were painted. Now who does that? If you took it and had it professionally done there's no way they'd do that to it, so I am suspicious.

As I didn't have the keys, I couldn't inspect the door shuts or bonnet valance etc. That would have revealed a respray if there'd been one. Both the TURBO stickers were present and looked original so it's not been worked on in that area I'd say.

Now without being able to get a proper look underneath with a good torch, I can't say anymore. I couldn't see any leaks or drips because it was as black as night under there.

There was no corrosion around the rear screen seal and the sliding window runners looked good and not distorted where the aluminium frame blows behind the seal. Probably been garaged.

OK so what.

Well if I had to work on it, I'd not fancy being covered in black bitumen every time I got the spanners out. That's just nasty. And what would I find under there? I don't know and that's the point. There's no way I'd spend £16 on a Cruiser that I could not see every nut and bolt.

These guys have bought it probably from some probate deal, looked it over and said £16k. They've put an advert on not expecting anyone to come along and look underneath. They'd expect a quick test drive and then cash down.

Al and I went to look at a similar superb 80 some time back. Oh it was the most perfect 80 in the world they said. True the chassis looked like a new one. Then we noticed the shut lines on the bonnet. It had been hit. Then I looked on the roof which was so battered that there were dents deep enough to take a mobile phone. Screen prices was £15k. And they still wouldn't budge. They'd no idea at all that the roof was bashed in.

So, Bund. Don't waste your time asking the dealers questions. They know shit. To them it's immaculate. You can point out defects here and there but they just won't be listening. And a couple of months down the line, it'll still be sitting there for the same money. Unless they've duped someone from Aberdeen into buying it.

This car is a gamble. It's not clear cut. If this had been bare underneath, I'd have been thinking about pulling out some savings, selling my green one and putting this into the unit for a rainy day. If that is worth £16k then someone needs to prove it to me. My point is (well one of several) that you can get a decent Cruiser with a nice interior for less than that without contributing to someone's early retirement fund.

Cheers Chris, thats enough for me to not take that car any further for now. When i get some time this week ill go see the petrol version that i first mentioned, I wont jump into anything but its good to start seeing a few up close so hopefully i can pick up some of the points you have mentioned so i have a better idea of a good car when i see one.

Well start by looking underneath first. Regardless of what else you see, the one thing that really tells the history better than anything is the underside. Don't be put off by slightly oily. That stops the rust. Don't worry about slightly rusty; they're 20 years old. If it looks very rusty at the back end but not the front, it might have been used on a slip way.
If it looks dry with some original paint finish, you might be onto something.

Back