Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy low mileage 80 series

"are 90s the next big thing?" .

no.

i didnt buy my 80 as an investment. i bought it because i liked it.
I've seen this before when post Top Gear hiluxes went skywards in price .also with Porsche 928s folk were piling in thinking about money.a lot of the cheaper hiluxes were shaggers TBH & most of the 928s were money pits.if you really want to know what a motor is worth phone up an auction house & ask them what similar cars are fetching.....

IMO, and with no disrespect for the 90 Series, it will never hit the mark that the 80 Series did.

That era has been surpassed by the modern mass-market demand for tough off-roaders, limiting them to purely utility vehicles, whereas the appeal of the 80 was more than that, it combined its ruggedness with comfort, and at that time luxury.

Now, the 200 Series offers that luxury enhanced even further with technological "advances", but in order to do that the ruggedness has been compromised. 200's are tough, there's no doubt about that, but it's whole concept is biased towards comfort and road handling at the expense of its practical abilities off-road.

All JMHO of course.

I hear you goodoleboy the old mini was a prime candidate for investment and there's so many restored ones for sale nowadays 5 grand is usually enough . The guy who still has his grandmothers talbot sunbeam is laughing though because nobody thought to save them .

Should never have sold my 81 911 Turbo, sold it for 10k (16 years ago)

IMO, and with no disrespect for the 90 Series, it will never hit the mark that the 80 Series did.

That era has been surpassed by the modern mass-market demand for tough off-roaders, limiting them to purely utility vehicles, whereas the appeal of the 80 was more than that, it combined its ruggedness with comfort, and at that time luxury.

Now, the 200 Series offers that luxury enhanced even further with technological "advances", but in order to do that the ruggedness has been compromised. 200's are tough, there's no doubt about that, but it's whole concept is biased towards comfort and road handling at the expense of its practical abilities off-road.

All JMHO of course.
Clive, when the 80 was being sold new, people buying them did not buy them because they were "rugged", they bought them because they were "high end" and the competition was a RR P38 with a 2.5 diesel or antiquated Buick V8.
I doubt many people over here buy a new high end vehicle with its "practical abilities off road" in mind, this may not be true down under however.
Lots of people look at 80's through rose tinted lenses I feel, Toyota didn't make a 100 series with IFS because it wasn't better than an 80. The front suspension is very strong indeed whilst giving a better ride than an 80 one would have to be doing something extreme to break it.
Apart from dedicated off roaders the solid front axle has become a relic of the past in my opinion.
It would be an interesting comparison between an 80 and a 200 series in a dedicated off road test.

Clive, when the 80 was being sold new, people buying them did not buy them because they were "rugged", they bought them because they were "high end" and the competition was a RR P38 with a 2.5 diesel or antiquated Buick V8.
I doubt many people over here buy a new high end vehicle with its "practical abilities off road" in mind, this may not be true down under however.
Lots of people look at 80's through rose tinted lenses I feel, Toyota didn't make a 100 series with IFS because it wasn't better than an 80. The front suspension is very strong indeed whilst giving a better ride than an 80 one would have to be doing something extreme to break it.
Apart from dedicated off roaders the solid front axle has become a relic of the past in my opinion.
It would be an interesting comparison between an 80 and a 200 series in a dedicated off road test.

I'm not denying anything in what you say above Andy, yet I don't necessarily agree with the IFS being better or stronger than an 80 bit, as I understand it they suffered a high rate of failure in the early days with wishbones cracking and all sorts. It's an unfair comparison in any event, IFS is for comfort and better asphalt handling and the solid axle is for strength and offroad ruggedness at the expense of that comfort. The whole concept of the vehicle changed between the 80 and the 100, otherwise why did they contemplate the 105? That (again IMO) was purely to appease the complaints from down under that Toyota had done the unthinkable to their beloved re-vamped 80's, with a 100 badge and poncy IFS! (these are carefully chosen Aussie type words not mine :lol:)

What's interesting to me is the status of an 80 in today's market, given that they are all at the least 18 years old, the majority will have at least 150-300k miles on the clock and have likely suffered the rigours of farm life or hauling of one type or another in their later years. As said, the "bubble-wrap garaged 45k miles 80" is a rare thing.

In relation to this thread, Bund wants an 80 that's as pristine as possible, with a clear emphasis on a "tidy" interior.

Others will have different reasons for wanting an 80.

Chris, for example, in his earlier 80 days, did a lot of extreme offroad, trials and "play days" testing himself and his truck's abilities to the limit. A pristine 80 to Chris then would have been useless for that, or even sacrilege in some folks view (including mine).

My truck was battered when I bought it, but it suits me. After base-lining it and even a re-spray, I now have a tidy-ish truck that I'm not afraid to take offroad (damage-wise) simply because it's a long way from mint.

I love my truck for its ability, and the degree of comfort that comes with it. Series LR's are capable (to a lesser extent) but the thought of being bounced around in a tin-can (and fixing it every weekend) doesn't appeal much. Been there and never again!

80's are not high-end any more. Sad but true. But they are still "rugged" and easily demonstrate their "practical abilities off road", they are nostalgia, TLC, workhorses, and in Bund's view a lovely place to be whether going to work or going on a run (as is mine to a much lesser degree) whereas in my view, it's offroad abilities outweigh its comfort and "mint" appeal.

Horses for courses.

Us 80 owners are as different as our vehicles are IMO, same truck, different reasons for having them. But old they are and the likes of them will never come back on the market as a new vehicle, hence the nostalgia. It's part of the appeal.

Don't we just love 'em, for a whole rainbow of reasons. 'Scuse the rambling on. :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 80 series went through some softening up to appeal more to UK buyers. Later ones had several "improvements".

Softer springs and shocks.
Sound resonance chamber to reduce intake noise.
Sound proofing to engine sump.
Some other things I've forgotten.

I believe the official toyota line is that the new 2016 200 is their most capable in the comfort series (ie. Not their utility series that the 70s are a part of ).

White post 4x4 are still showing that silver one for sale I see. Odd, the guy seemed utterly sure it was as good as sold.

Certainly does. Very nice indeed. Just need to see underneath though. Scottish ones do rather tend to be badly affected by the cursed salt

Back