Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy low mileage 80 series

Bunds offering some serious money for saying hes only viewed one petrol....

I may sell sell you a couple bund at 18k if your wanting a few :)

Bunds offering some serious money for saying hes only viewed one petrol....

I may sell sell you a couple bund at 18k if your wanting a few :)
To be fair with figures like that being banded around the future of my 24v auto was nearly in jeaopardy. But then I thought about it. Couldn't let it go. Been promised to my boy.

I'm willing to pay that as long as it's like new, the petrol I see was far from like new. I could let my sport go and I'd still have nearly my offer left in change(if diesel). I'd be happy with that.

I'm just saying I'm interested if Chris doesn't take up the offer.

In fairness I have only seen one photo and mileage and don't know if petrol/diesel but I'd be into those numbers on a good import from Japan and contemplated a less desirable colour to me with more miles at 15.

Last edited:
From the pics it looks a fairly honest and unmolested under side to me, sharper turning could just be worn bushes (they're old after all) prob it's original exhaust. Air con will be the condenser most likely, oil weeps depends where from but again it's old.
Engine bay is cleaner then mine currently! Shiny bay could be trying to hide something so not bad it's a bit dirty.

No manual petrol UK model but can drive it like a manual when needs must tbh, long steep twists roads.

They do pull well and sound sweet.
Was it nice, smooth and quiet at idle too?

Looks like it needs a good baseline service etc and it'll be a good motor.

What kind of money would I be in to address the bits you and I said?

Bushes(turning in)
Condenser (ac not working)
New tyres (ancient)
electric seat part would be around £10-£90
Good service (couple hundred)
Extras fund
Paint maybe tidied up one day but don't know where you would stop, ha roof.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All depends if do your own spanner work. With a new set of decent boots and a really good going over I bet you could spend upto a couple of grand tbh.
I know how much I've spent on mine over the last few years of ownership and I do my own work! Obviously spent on modifying mine too which adds up.

The one at White post that I said was close to me.

Bloke was nice enough but not interested. As far as he was concerned it was sold so there's no point talking further. "Bloke on his way from Aberdeen to buy it" "And other coming from Richmond"

He was too busy reading the paper and just didn't seem to grasp that a bloke who'd just pulled up in a massive 80 might just know a bit more about these than he did. Obviously it had a price and that was what he was going to get.

Now the two blokes coming might not appear. They might not like it, they might not want to pay the screen price. So, did he take my details? Nope. Didn't even give me the key. Not interested.

So it didn't excite me at all. I certainly wouldn't give that money without getting properly;y under it.

No idea when it was painted. But it was thick black schlep and that puts me straight off. At 65 k it should be been factory paint and beautiful. Was it done to protect all that loveliness or to hide something. But hide what? Hey maybe it only ever came out in Winter to be driven in salt. Perhaps it was only ever used to launch a jet ski. The tow bar was massive. Never seen one like that before.

So I don't know. I just didn't like it.
thick black underseal? I bought a hilux like that once but only gave 600 quid for it.I knew what I was getting & had a couple of good years out of it untilI broke it.

Nothing wrong with thick black underseal if you know what's underneath it. Obviously, on the vehicle in question, now one knows except whoever applied it.

I'm willing to pay that as long as it's like new, the petrol I see was far from like new. I could let my sport go and I'd still have nearly my offer left in change(if diesel). I'd be happy with that.

I'm just saying I'm interested if Chris doesn't take up the offer.

In fairness I have only seen one photo and mileage and don't know if petrol/diesel but I'd be into those numbers on a good import from Japan and contemplated a less desirable colour to me with more miles at 15.

Although I've limited experience of RR Sports ( although I was in one last week) I would really be careful what you wish for Bund. The 80 is 1980's technology and in this day and age it shows. I think the 'pedal and stick' arrangement of the 24V manual would become tedious after the RR although a good petrol auto is a more relaxing, and far quieter than the diesel its a world away from todays offerings.

Thanks for the comments lads, I use the sport for bits of work involving moving house renovation bits around, tiles, rubbish and moving the dog about. I've done 4k in 15 months and although i may miss the auto I might use another car I've got for trips to tracks as that seems to be my only long distant driving apart from seeing family occasionaly.

Gary, spannering yeah I've heard the term pal but unfortunately i haven't learnt the art of it yet, I learnt to change wheels quickly when i started racing Caterhams a few years ago but apart from that I'm useless so I think id be in to that car for £2k pretty soon. lol

what makes you want an 80?

A wealthy couple use to drive past in theirs when i was a kid, first a green one and then a red one later on. My Dad always said they were the best 4x4 out there but i thought he might of just been jealous of his mate with a Shogun.

I've bought RR sports for the last 10 years as they done all the road jobs I needed, had size and i thought looked good. I can't remember when but about a year or two ago i remembered the old Landcruiser and thought id see how much they were, some were cheap but one black manual car was about 8-10k i think, I didn't have spare money at the time to put into a car that i just like nostalgically so went on with life, I've been keeping an eye out for a good one(low miles blah blah blah) for a while and quite recently I've become bored of my sport and think that if i get a more rugged 4x4 I might start using a car I've got sitting in the garage thats only done 2k in 13 months. I think these cars are the exception to the norm, Ive never seen a car racking up the miles as so many do. I think its underrated! I want an exceptional one, in 10 years time my current sport will be 10k and the LC will be around what i pay for it if i don't go into hundreds of thousands of miles.

Long story but you asked.....

It's a good story. I think there's a fair few of us been hooked like that. For me it was the VX Turbo - ie the LJ 70

I always just wanted one, great off road and great on road. Was always going to end up modified slightly. 2nd choice was a patrol

I always just wanted one, great off road and great on road. Was always going to end up modified slightly. 2nd choice was a patrol

My Dad did end up buying an F plate 2.5 Shogun, it looked good but was gutless when we came to pulling a trailer full of clothes up the hill on the A249. A bit later he had an Isuzu Trooper. At the time he couldn't afford an 80's series or I'm sure he would of had one.

I hope he will smile when I turn up in one one day.

Nothing wrong with thick black underseal if you know what's underneath it. Obviously, on the vehicle in question, now one knows except whoever applied it.
.....and there is the problem.to call the chassis welding on my old hilux a bodge would not do justice to the skill & time put in to fooling the mot man.this was a pre top gear hilux.deception aside it seems to me that 80 prices are heading skyward at a rate that can only indicate a bubble.I remember a workmates spending a small fortune on a bare metal
restoration of a Beetle in the 80s.even if he still owns it I doubt if he would get his money back.maybe it's time to keep our powder dry? are 90s the next big thing?

i did indeed.

they dont have to be modified, they are a comfortable car that will do long road distances. ive been in a range rover sport, vw tourag and that big 4x4 merc. while they are impressive motors i still prefer the character of my 80. ive also found having big rectangular windows and being shaped like a bus, all round vision is much better.

yes, i would pay top doller for one in the right condition, whats the alternative? they can be a motor for life..

Back