Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to upgrade Shocks and struts

Spacekase2990

Country Flag
united_states
Finally getting my 92 cruiser on the road but am looking to upgrade my shocks/struts for a smoother ride .. any suggestions on best/affordable options ?

Slee seems to have a good rep in America but import duties and shipping likely puts them out of the price brackets for most of us on this side of the world .

I bought bilstein b6 shocks ,very good,
bought new pedders 20% plus 2 inch coil springs from roughtax
absolute junk,rears sagged and now very soft and uneven ride.,
,i will have to replace them before any long trips or loading heavy items

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed on the Pedders. Has them on the Collie, ride hard as a board. Had them on an 80, very poor hard ride. Put the 80 back on standard Toyota, ride quality restored.

Finally getting my 92 cruiser on the road but am looking to upgrade my shocks/struts for a smoother ride .. any suggestions on best/affordable options ?

With no added weight you won't better the standard Toyota offering for ride quality.

By shocks /struts I presume you mean that you don't intend to change the springs ?
The springs will be what's causing a bad/hard ride... either sagged so they are riding near the bump stops (common on standard 80 fronts) or they are uprated to cope with a constant load that you're not carrying .
Old Man Emu , Iron Man , Kings or Fulcrum are all good brands that will do a spring rate to give you what you want

Dont go for Icon. I installed the stage5 and lasted less then 200 miles with no offroad, then the reservoirs twisted and started leaking and bearing in mind it was summer so no salt on the roads and little rain the bodies of the shocks started rusting, plus I had to wait over a year for them to arrive. I am now running ironman pros and couldn't be happier and to be fair seem to be a better all round shock then the all singing all dancing adjustable icons that were crap. Before I had the stage 4 icon kit but they blew up in the desert. wish I had learnt my lesson then

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm going to say EFS if you can get them. Had a lot of sets ups over the years and can't think of any that I've had that have been better then EFS.

Back