Mission Murmansk - The Kola Peninsula Sept 2018

Chris Aug 31, 2018

1. Rob-o

Rob-o Active Member

Map
    I too am feeling a little envious! I found Russians in general to be among the most helpful people I’ve encountered. And some of the most resourceful, I doubted weather you could build up a rear prop yoke with an old arc welder and dremel it to make the UJ cups fit back in, but I’ve seen it done!

I’ve had mixed experience with police though, and had to give ‘gifts’ or money to be on my way. At one point our passports were taken and we had to wait hours until they got bored and gave them back, we didn’t pay on that occasion. Most however have been very helpful.

Rob

2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Almost fresh reindeer stew in Lapland! 53D2EA5B-E2AA-4583-9131-203B042D1380.jpeg

3. Jake the Peg

Jake the Peg Well-Known Member I am in scotland

Map
    One of them would keep the bbq busy for a few nights!

4. IRLGW

IRLGW Well-Known Member

Map
    Did I not see this on another thread at russianbrides .ru ?

5. Andy

Map
    Russianbrides........quite probably, the woman cashier at a fuel station was trying to persuade Tom to buy condoms!

All going really well, first opportunity for WiFi today, the Russian border only took a couple of hours, no problems there searched all trucks & despite the warnings we had no meat , cheese etc confiscated. Chris eve got through without his original V5!
    And our Russian ain’t good!!!!
    Managed to get from Hamburg to Kandalaksha in Russia on 172 litres diesel for 1361 k’s, just on the rear tank, fuel in Finland is about 1.45 Euro litre, Russia is 46 rubles/ l, ie less than 50p

6. moggy1968

moggy1968 Well-Known Member

Map
    Reindeer steak is one of the best steaks I’ve ever had :thumbup:

7. IRLGW

IRLGW Well-Known Member

Map
    Making good progress chaps and don't worry about that black car following you either, apparently the KGB is more discreet.

chapel gate and grantw like this.
  8. Bmonck

Bmonck Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    Guys I just caught up with this. Cool trip. Please post a route map as well as photos when you can. Maybe share some trip stats too when you get back and have the time ie total miles, fuel consumption, camping sites etc.
    Best of Luck. Cheers.

clivehorridge likes this.
  9. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    :text-+1: Me too, have a blast, Russians I’ve encountered are great!
    But aren’t we a bit light on photies?

Just sayin’ :whistle:

10. Andy

Map
    No internet / signal etc, were out in the sticks!

11. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    Ok so not a great deal to say
    We know you want juicy detail well what happens in the forest stays in the forest.
    It’s been plain sailing so far. Not a problem with the trucks. Fuel here is 50p litre but we’d pay double that if we could just get a smile out of someone
    It’s a bit like a Russian tourist turning up in somewhere like Scunthorpe I guess. Roads in Russia are pretty shocking unlike Finland on the other side of the fence. Hotel is great though and cheap.

We stopped for fuel and started filling cans. Niet, niet, niet!!!! No cans! WTF.

Foreign fuel is definitely more full of goodness than the crap we buy at home. More mpg without question

We’ve seen a lot of trees and some more trees. Then some trees.

Just need to get away from civilisation and we’ll be cooking
    Camping has been awesome with no one to bother us. Not seen any bears yet so the repellant we were sold by this old honest gypsy woman seems to be working well.

Border crossing at Salla went smooth enough with no bribes necessary and no restrictions at all despite the stories we’d read

grantw, Bmonck, chapel gate and 2 others like this.
  12. AndyCook

AndyCook Well-Known Member I am in scotland

Garage:
    Map
    Chris: you need to feed them with Vodka to make them smile :)

13. denboy

denboy Member

Map
    just seen this trip - very interesting - I'll be waiting for the photos ..... sounds great....

grantw and hopeless wanderer like this.
  14. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter Promoted Company I am in england

Map
    Maybe thats the secret ingredient in the diesel too...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  15. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    I think it may be one and the same Chas. Maybe one is more refined than the other; probably the diesel!!

16. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    We’re alive and in Murmansk
    We’ve bumped into Lorin and Toby three times.

Trucks have all taken a bit of a knock here and there but nothing has stopped us rolling. Going to be some stripping and fettling when we get back.

Camping spots have been awesome and we’ve had the Northern Lights several times to entertain us. First class navs from the guys getting us into some very interesting places

We managed to get chucked off a military base but they were happy with the Scotch we left them.

Very cheap here which is good.
    More when we have a moment

There’ll be a book and a film

17. Andy

Map
    Lots of footage to come, still got several days in Russia. The stuff theses 80’s have driven through, over & under has been unbelievable even about 4 hrs over washing machine sized rocks crossing the kibhiny mountains, through swamps& rivers half way up the windows, and they still come back for more .
    Scenery unbelievable
    Andy

18. moggy1968

moggy1968 Well-Known Member

Map
    Epic, looking forward to this, what an expedition

19. Lorin

Lorin Well-Known Member

Map
    Can’t beleive we crossed paths 3 times! What an absolutely stunning place this is. The off-road driving is simply superb. We leave Russia tomorrow - I could have stayed a lot longer.

20. stumog

stumog Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    I saw your post lorin on mud and thought you were with this group.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter