Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Monroe Shocks

In theory, Warren, the shocks will not influence "firmness" it's the springs that carry the load and determine the hardness, softness, ride height and flex.

The shocks or dampers as they should be called, kill the number and extent of reciprocal oscillations that the spring generates, thus the after bump bouncing effect of the spring.

The crude test of of a damper's performance is a bounce on each corner. If the damper is working, the car will return to its normal position and stay there. If not, it will rise and then fall again before stabilizing to its normal position.

Might be that your dampers arent 20 years old for one , and also you may have the electrically stiffened type on the rear. The Monroes are pretty standard fare with a similar ride quality to OEM ones but I don't know about longevity. I bought 4 OEM s/h like new dampers from a breaker for £50 and they are fitted on my GX.

Andy

Thanks. I have been resisting doing anything as I want to get to know her a little better but the ride just seems a little stiff.

Perhaps springs should be my first port of call and whilst I am in there I will remove a shock or two and check there stroke.

Thanks

In theory, Warren, the shocks will not influence "firmness" it's the springs that carry the load and determine the hardness, softness, ride height and flex.

The shocks or dampers as they should be called, kill the number and extent of reciprocal oscillations that the spring generates, thus the after bump bouncing effect of the spring.

The crude test of of a damper's performance is a bounce on each corner. If the damper is working, the car will return to its normal position and stay there. If not, it will rise and then fall again before stabilizing to its normal position.

I'm not sure I agree with you entirely there Clive. Yes, the spring is the "shock absorber" I agree but if we are talking ride quality then it is infuenced by the stiffness of the damper. Having had Koni adjustables on my 80 I know different settings have different effects on ride quality and the springs ability to do its job. In effect they are fighting each other.

Andy

Just conversely Clive , on motorcross bikes i always prefered a firm ride so i always overfilled the front forks to raise the ride height and stiffen the suspension . So given that and given racing shocks can be purchased is it not reasonable to assume different shocks can have greater or less resistance due to manufacturers spec ?

Just curious i remember a mate buying a brand new Honda MTX and it sank 6 inches when i sat on it and while riding it was like a bloody rocking horse while braking or accelerating . He topped up the front suspension with oil a bought a racing shock to cure the problem .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Monroe and OME are made in the same factory.

When I questioned people in the industry over here I was first told that yes they are made in the same factory and use exactly the same casings but have different valving and gas pressures etc.

But then after doing some more investigating and speaking to some one who regularly talks to people who work in the Adelaide factory where there made it turns out they don't even do that. They simply put a different sticker on depending if its Monroe or OME! :icon-rolleyes:

I've just replaced my ageing OEM's with same as I was happy with the ride before the shocks got tired.
Shock absorbers will definitely affect the ride firmness/quality but not the ride height. That is dictated by the spring length and rate. Most 4x4 shocks (except the expensive racing versions) have non adjustable compression and rebound damping so you really need to get the choice of shock right for your intended use and understand how fitting stiffer (or softer) shocks will affect the ride. Most motorcycle shocks have separately adjustable compression and rebound damping for fine tuning the handling and ride quality.
The age old test of bouncing each corner isn't much use on a 2 1/2 ton 4x4 IMO.

Last edited:
I've had Monroe on my 90 series and they've lasted a good 10+ years...

I don't mind being corrected guys, maybe I should have clarified that it was my opinion more than a purely technical response :lol:

I have found though, that there's a lot of misunderstanding about the roles of springs, shock absorbers and anti-roll bars. I think (and this is very much my opinion) that in simple terms I'm right, but in reality shocker technology has developed to the extent that they now do much more than just stabilize spring reciprocation.

Years ago I had Spax adjustables on the back of an old Ford Cortina Mk1 Estate, which were revolutionary in those days, spring assisted with ride height and stiffness adjustments. Good old days! :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Shock absorbers should be called shock creators. Years ago when "shocks" used to fail it was a very smooth ride without them apart from wallowing and vibration. I used to see cars going along with no "shocks" and the wheels looked blurred with vibration when they hit a bump.

Back