Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

Back of night work now so I'll get the sticker file finished and off to George
:thumbup:

1. If we call get the same CB band, then it will help immensely our progress as we will not have to stop and discuss. Also it is good for forewarning others behind of any dangers encountered.
We will do that. It's easy.

2. Weight, everybody please be mindful how much you load into your vehicle. This will be my 4th time in Africa and each time my goal is to carry less...
Good point Mussy! Thats my main concern as well. I'm leaving behind second fuel reservoir, second spare tire, backseats, winch ( not needed for this trip)...instead of my Bushranger sandtrax (quite heavy) i'll take aluminum trax...I'll take off my steel roof rack and borrow aluminum one for the trip . All ready ~200kg off...ect.

My truck weighs pretty much standard by the time I take out 2 rows of seats, and as I drink the beer it gets lighter

With the route planned you won't need much in the way of spare fuel or water, we'll stop in a town every couple of days for resupplies, likewise 1 spare will be adequate the locals are prett good at tyre repairs

Ok, what other spare parts except beer should we take along?:icon-biggrin:

View attachment Morocco Kit List.zip

The word is that Chris can repair anything using some sticks, a couple of rocks and gaffer tape so we don't need much :)

I don't take a lot spares rad hoses, some odd lengths of hose, TPS (as I have a spare anway), brake hose, full set of belts, brake pads (I already have so take just in case), Filters and CV boots. Then its fluids, 1 full oil change, brake, diff, and transmission oil. Fuses, crimp connectors etc.

Attached my current kit list for Morocco (I think this may even have started as a list Gary posted).

There are lots of LC's in Morocco so parts are available and there are dealerships in Agadir, Casablanca and Marrakech. On my first trip I picked up new rear dampers in Agadir overnighted from Casablanca, but in 2013 the same dealership couldn't get a alternator for 3 weeks.

The local mechanic are also pretty good and making do with what they have and getting you running again, I've had a upper rear link bar mount replaced in the WS by 2 13 year olds and a snapped upper link bar repaired with concrete reinforcing bar in Zagora.

All you 80 drivers might want to compare notes on spares to avoid everyone taking the same things?

Last edited:
I only work on 80's I'm afraid. As regards to spares, I have packed a spare cup holder. I do hear that the springs on those are prone to early failures. It's disappointing I know, but there it is. In any case they don't take up a great deal of room. Oh and a spare cup to in case that gets damaged.

Can't think of anything else I am likely to need really. Seeing as it's an 80......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wish I'd thought of that Gary. Damn. Yes me too.

I am thinking about spare and such and don't really feel the need to take an oil change. I'll swap before I go and if I need oil in that quantity I'll buy it there. It's a lorry engine. If they have 3G and Toyota dealers, I can surely get oil. Not lugging 10 litres of that with me.

If I get a broken belt then I'll just hold my trousers up with string.

Having just done 3000 miles in 2 weeks through some fairly extreme temps with nothing major happening (or minor even) I don't think I'll take a y more than what I have as emergency stuff - light bulbs and fuses and a wheel stud and nut. And fan belt set.

That's it really .... As per Chris I'll be doing a full fluid change and be going with a thicker oil ...

Wish I'd thought of that Gary. Damn. Yes me too.

I am thinking about spare and such and don't really feel the need to take an oil change. I'll swap before I go and if I need oil in that quantity I'll buy it there. It's a lorry engine. If they have 3G and Toyota dealers, I can surely get oil. Not lugging 10 litres of that with me.

If I get a broken belt then I'll just hold my trousers up with string.

I thought your trousers were held up with bailer twine :D

Oil is available but often just what they have rather than a selection. I'm probably a bit ott on oil tbh, top ups are all you really need. I tend to just throw in stuff I have in the garage spare hoses, old brake pads etc then its crap like fuses and 'get you by' repair stuff. As I don't have a norkle with a fish tank on I take a spare air filter in case its really dusty but I've never needed it

Most of my repairs in Morocco have been down to 2 issues, age and a dodgy repair done before I bought the LC

Alternator

Dodgy Garage
Rear upper link bar mount
rear upper link bar snapping

Ouarzazate Maroc...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 99
Lol, those bank displays are very unreliable

Fish food!

Thanks Mark. nearly forgot that. Can't have the littler blighters starving can we

I'll take few asthma inhalers for my 1HZ as I will need them while crossing the High Atlas:think:

Attachments

• kasbah-toubkal.jpg
    kasbah-toubkal.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 84
Ha ha ha, I'd pay good money to watch that. Be like my Missus going up the stairs.

We get to around 2800m coming back, or 2800.5m if you have a suspension lift

In Euros or Drachmas?

Your truck isn't big enough for sufficient drachmas

but I do like a nice bacon sandwich and a coffee to watch the desert sunrise with

Back