Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

Last week I got back from 3 months away and am amazed at the length of this thread. There has certainly been a Whole Lotta Posting Going on :shock:. Thankfully Mark pointed me to the parts I really needed to read.

I have been busy sorting out all the issues that stack up when one is away and trying to get my 80 ready for Morocco. After lying idle for all this time it started at the first turn of the key. I suppose it is fair to say that was a Good Start :icon-biggrin:.

So far I have:

Fitted the roof tent - stupidly I did this first so now cannot get the car in the garage! So been working in the rain and lying in the wet muck and sharp stones that make up my driveway
Replaced a blown indicator bulb and upgraded the standard headlight bulbs to some halogen ones I had lying around
Replaced the thermostat - took ages as I could not find the third bolt for the housing - it is halfway down the pipe!
Flushed the cooling system (4 times) and installed 5L of new anti-freeze
Checked the air filter, wheel bearings and brake pads - OK
Changed the rear diff oil
Changed the engine oil and filter
Drained the auto box sump and replaced with new ATF
Had new Aircon compressor and drier installed - works brilliantly now. Centre console fridge makes a small tray of ice cubes in 30 minutes
Removed rear seats and installed all the storage gubbins
Bolted in the new fridge/freezer
Finally got my ignition lights working again - faulty plug on alternator
Insured the car with the NFU - excellent cover and a very good deal :icon-cool:

Next I plan to:

Wire in the freezer
Check all the suspension fixings
Adjust the steering box
Find the rest of my overland gear
Sort out the documentation.

Then the car should be ready. I think.

Top work Byron. That's two of us properly prepared then ..........

Tempting fate..

Cheers Chris. Hope we are not tempting fate though :icon-biggrin:

Well you know what they say about Proper Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I'm prepared :) Just a few minor bits to sort.....................

2 weeks - first night in Africa :)

Top work Byron. That's two of us properly prepared then ..........
I think three ....my list of things done is loooong.....and of course theres more to do as always.
P.S. 6 days....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Last week I got back from 3 months away and am amazed at the length of this thread. There has certainly been a Whole Lotta Posting Going on :shock:. Thankfully Mark pointed me to the parts I really needed to read.

I have been busy sorting out all the issues that stack up when one is away and trying to get my 80 ready for Morocco. After lying idle for all this time it started at the first turn of the key. I suppose it is fair to say that was a Good Start :icon-biggrin:.

So far I have:

Fitted the roof tent - stupidly I did this first so now cannot get the car in the garage! So been working in the rain and lying in the wet muck and sharp stones that make up my driveway
Replaced a blown indicator bulb and upgraded the standard headlight bulbs to some halogen ones I had lying around
Replaced the thermostat - took ages as I could not find the third bolt for the housing - it is halfway down the pipe!
Flushed the cooling system (4 times) and installed 5L of new anti-freeze
Checked the air filter, wheel bearings and brake pads - OK
Changed the rear diff oil
Changed the engine oil and filter
Drained the auto box sump and replaced with new ATF
Had new Aircon compressor and drier installed - works brilliantly now. Centre console fridge makes a small tray of ice cubes in 30 minutes
Removed rear seats and installed all the storage gubbins
Bolted in the new fridge/freezer
Finally got my ignition lights working again - faulty plug on alternator
Insured the car with the NFU - excellent cover and a very good deal :icon-cool:

Next I plan to:

Wire in the freezer
Check all the suspension fixings
Adjust the steering box
Find the rest of my overland gear
Sort out the documentation.

Then the car should be ready. I think.

Make sure you request a green card for Morocco, issued FOC from NFU

So basically George you're saying that we're waiting for Mark?

So basically George you're saying that we're waiting for Mark?

Yeah Yeah, you lot have it easy you only need to organise yourselves, I've done route, logos, hotels, ferries, provided advice and guidance. Its somewhat like herding cats but less organised.

Pricing on Algerciras to Morocco Ferry

1 person + Landcruiser = 180 euros
2 person + Landcrsuier = 190 euros

We pay at the ticket office so aren'tr tied in to specific sailings just the first one after picking up the tickets. Return is Open, so again not tie to a particular crossing, if you need to get home early or late it makes no difference.

Thank you Mark!

Now get back to work on the cruiser!!!

Yes customer always comes first .......

Well done Mark, but I have been thinking.

Where we going next year?

Customers.............that would imply some reward received, I'll look forward to receiving this :)

Next.......we'll I have ideas for future trips. I want to get to Dhakla through the Western Sahara down to the tropic of cancer and back one year, but might need more than 3 weeks or its a real rush job. Mongolia is on the list for a big trip in the future possibly 2020. TBH next year is likely to be a mountain orientated Morocco trip, or the Empty Quarter in the east of the country.

Fancied Mongolia myself. Or maybe the Baltic Circle.

Yeah customers and don't you forget it.

You can have my bacon.

Back