Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My first 1KZ drive

AdventureWagon

Supporter
Country Flag
australia
Mate of mine allowed me to drive his KZJ120R today, first time I have ever driven a diesel Prado! Very nice drive, having a turbo is addictive. Just with city driving it seems more pokey than my petrol 5VZ despite the kW difference (97kW for the 1KZ (AU spec W/intercooler), 142kW for the 5VZ (atmo)).

Even looked up them on gumtree but a ±200,000km one is the best part of AUD24k at the moment so I guess I won't be trying to convince the wife just yet.

I've tried and failed to explain that phenomenon many times regarding D4D v 1KZ .

The older engine just has character that trumps the more powerful . The 2=stroke effect maybe ?

The only other diesel I've driven is a 2019 Kia Sportage with the Hyundai U 1.6. Shitheap car but the engine turbo was nice, still it had more turbo lag than the 1KZ!

And i'd be tempted to bet my modified 1kz would flog my D4d in a race if it had the same diff gearing .

After having a few LR diesels, a Tdi which was like a tractor but bombproof, a Td5 which was good but had a few issues especially the early ones and a TdV6 in a Discovery 3 which was a fantastic vehicle but unfortunately was prone to snapping the crank. Also both the 2.4 and 2.2 Transit engines in Defenders which were quite good. The diesel in my 97 Collie while sounding a bit truck like is actually pretty quiet when driven and I would put it up there as one of the best diesels I have owned and coupled to the Auto box is a very relaxing drive I find.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah I think if I ever had to replace my 90 I'd seriously consider the 1KZ. I like the simplicity of petrol but I could easily get used to it!

Been loving the look of the Discovery recently too and have loved the look of the old Defender for years but I'm happy to enjoy from the likes of the LR Time channel on YouTube than in real life!

Saw a bonus new Defender yesterday which looks nice but at AUD100k plus here that's just mental.

Had a 1kz surf for 10years and loved it. If you ignore it's appetite for cylinder heads that engine is a legend. Would cruise all day at 90mph and would pull the side of a house off. On one memorable occasion I towed a long wheelbase trooper, itself towing a horse trailer with two big horses in it! Fortunately Mr Plod wasn't around. Lovely turbo whistle too

I could still be tempted by a Surf , it appeals to me in a way the lwb 90 series never did for some reason ?

Although similar era the Surf looks (and probably is) more utilitarian and old school is appearance than the 90. Sure looks better than the fugly ute canopies you see.

In my view, 90 series is one of the better looking cruisers among the older series. Although it’s not as macho as the 80, 70, it is a good balance between tough and modern. Moreover, mine just flew through her MOT with no advisory, make me loves looking at her even more. :)

Last edited:
Yeah my faves have to be the 40 series and the 90 series. The 40 looks old school and so cool whilst the 90 is much more practical for family life and daily driving.

There's also the wife acceptance factor with the 40.

It's because I seen the swb 90 first which has Rascal written all over it :hearteyes: :lol:

I always thought that my LR D3 when I owned it was big and had a huge load area however since I took the third row seats out I’m sure the LWB Collie is at least as big if not slightly bigger. The one advantage the D3 had was you could fold the second and third row seats completely flat and you could sleep 2 in it quite comfortably.

Yep they have totally different characters, I drove my mates 1KZ Collie with 250k and it went very well but not like the chipped up D4D I had which was rapid but quite vocal, like a tuned up tractor engine. In the V6 i've done 600 miles in the last 3 weeks and I'm loving it. Still, to me there is something not quite right about a petrol engine in a 4x4, I think its an English thing, as 98% of 4x4's are diesel.

I always thought that my LR D3 when I owned it was big and had a huge load area however since I took the third row seats out I’m sure the LWB Collie is at least as big if not slightly bigger. The one advantage the D3 had was you could fold the second and third row seats completely flat and you could sleep 2 in it quite comfortably.

The 90 series LWB second and 3rd rows can also be folded to make a “bed”…

Attachments

• 7BD0F3DF-1523-4755-97BB-FAA36E4A19E0.jpeg
    7BD0F3DF-1523-4755-97BB-FAA36E4A19E0.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 44
Diesel is certainly king these days for 4wds, but only in the last 15yrs or so.

That's interesting with the 90 seats, I've tried to do that in mine and can't get the middle seat back to go flat. Mine has a 60/40 seat so maybe that's why. Is as if the backrest pivots about 3" higher than the base.

The photo shows a middle full bench version, for that to happen you need to slide the whole bench forward on the rails then fold the back down. I think the 60/40 only has pivot points not slide rails.

Yeah I don't think the bench slides on mine only the back pivots and then the bench pivots at the front so the whole section can tuck behind the relevant front seat. With just one kid and the need for my wife to bring along 7 tons of crap on a 7 day camping trip the split fold seat is essential!!!

Back