Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Truck in for its MOT today.
Needed a few issues sorting before its big first UK AVT.

So was up on the Finkbeiner lifts...( what fantastic pieces of kit they are )

20171101_172638.jpg

Needed a new drag-link bar as the rubbers/gaiters were shot on original.
20171101_173149.jpg

Also needed new pins in the spring retainers as the originals had snapped. Photo showing springs split to insert new pin.. Both sides done.
20171101_172825.jpg

And a set of new headlights for RHD going in here.

20171101_172745.jpg

A few chassis bolts re-torqued.

fullsizeoutput_34.jpeg

Truck ready for its test tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it passes and I'll be able to drive the bloody thing legally in the UK.

Truck in for its MOT today.
Needed a few issues sorting before its big first UK AVT.

So was up on the Finkbeiner lifts...( what fantastic pieces of kit they are )

View attachment 136346

Needed a new drag-link bar as the rubbers/gaiters were shot on original.
View attachment 136347

Also needed new pins in the spring retainers as the originals had snapped. Photo showing springs split to insert new pin.. Both sides done.
View attachment 136348

And a set of new headlights for RHD going in here.

View attachment 136349

A few chassis bolts re-torqued.

View attachment 136352

Truck ready for its test tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it passes and I'll be able to drive the bloody thing legally in the UK.
All the best for tomorrow Lazz.

Fingers crossed. Can't wait for a look around it.

Good luck, though I don't suppose you'll need it having given it the once over.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great I will be round at 2 to make sure it's safe enough for you to drive lazz

They're gonna love that at the test centre... not just any old day at the office...

So was tied up in meetings most of the day today. Come 4pm I hadn't heard from the garage, so I call.

The following conversation:
L:
So what's the story with the truck, can I collect it?
MAN:
Oh yes, well the tester refused to test the truck as it doesn't have a VTG 6
L:
What the hell is a VTG6 ???
MAN:
Before you take a commercial vehicle for its annual test, you must have a plating certificate – also known as a ministry plate – that shows the permitted axle and gross vehicle weights.
L:
The plate is riveted to the truck with that information... Inside the drivers door.
MAN:
No, thats not a VTG6, thats just the plating information:
L:
It's NOT a goods vehicle !!It is registered as a SPECIAL vehicle with an accompanying type approval certificate that shows all the information contained on the plate as well as the information contained in a ministry plate. That is why I left that information there with you.
MAN:
Sorry, but its the DVSA tester's decision not ours.
L:
Why didn't you tell me about this ministry plate yesterday? Or call me today and tell me this morning at 8am after refusal to test?
MAN:
Silence...................

So it's now 4.10pm and I call DVSA and ask what a VTG6 is and how I get one.

Send us the information we need, and we will get a VTG6 certificate back to you after approx 16 weeks.
Yes correct 16 weeks!!!!!!! Until then I cannot get the annual test done.

I explain that the vehicle is already registered and has type approval certificate issued by DVSA/DVLA with all the plating information and info contained in the VTG6 and its a special vehicle and not a goods vehicle.

Sorry sir can't help you. No ministry plate, no MOT !!

:angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

Bloody jobsworth. :angry-screaming:

its fairly obvious it's not a commercial vehicle (and not registered as one) but I guess it comes down to certain criteria?
Surely when it becomes a camper/motor home it'll be easier!

It looks great btw.

Try another MOT station. All you need is the right guy wave you past...

Oh bugger. How can anything take 16 weeks? OK building a house or something, but this is paperwork. Man what a fecker.

I don’t know if this still applies, but in the past sometimes you could speed things up with a personal visit to Swansea. A long shot, but might be worth asking (with an appropriate tale of desperate need).

If you thought Toyota spares were expensive !!!!

I decided to replace the LHD headlights with new RHD units. The reflectors in the LHD had obviously been sand blasted with desert sand in all the rallys it had done, so there was no discernible pattern and the spread was awful.

So off to MAN for the parts. £679 per lamp!
The same lamp for a "modern" truck is £230.
So ordered lamps and they sent new LHD lamps in a RHD marked box.

Back to MAN who then said they could only sell a RHD reflector and RHD lens as separate items for that chassis number, and I would have to swap them out. They wanted and additional £230 each, on top of the original LHD lamp price.

So to get RHD OEM lamps for the 11 yr old truck = £909 each lamp.

At this stage I refused to pay and said I'd send the new LHD lamps back and requested a refund (as they sent the incorrect lamps in the first place). The dealership got on the phone and eventually got the RHD reflector and lens's set out no cost. I also keep the LHD reflector and lenses; so ended up with ostensibly 2 sets of lights. Still daylight robbery though.

Anyway, I then installed a set of these:
fullsizeoutput_35.jpeg

The light output is fantastic and easily drivable on Dip beam only. As the lenses and reflector is electrically adjustable on the truck, the throw/spread can be fine tuned. With the high beam it's like daylight, and when spots are on you can sunbathe !

Very pleased with the end result.

Job 3 of 118 complete.

We have also now finalised the rear box layout:
Overhead

fullsizeoutput_36.jpeg

Side from door entry
SV_A-5200_dSX.jpg

Side from Galley
DV_A-5200.jpg

living box dimensions
L - 5.2m w - 2.5m H - 2.1m

Overall external dimensions
L - 7.7m W - 2.5m H - 3.7m

It's a bit bigger than the 80 !

If you thought Toyota spares were expensive !!!!

I decided to replace the LHD headlights with new RHD units. The reflectors in the LHD had obviously been sand blasted with desert sand in all the rallys it had done, so there was no discernible pattern and the spread was awful.

So off to MAN for the parts. £679 per lamp!
The same lamp for a "modern" truck is £230.
So ordered lamps and they sent new LHD lamps in a RHD marked box.

Back to MAN who then said they could only sell a RHD reflector and RHD lens as separate items for that chassis number, and I would have to swap them out. They wanted and additional £230 each, on top of the original LHD lamp price.

So to get RHD OEM lamps for the 11 yr old truck = £909 each lamp.

At this stage I refused to pay and said I'd send the new LHD lamps back and requested a refund (as they sent the incorrect lamps in the first place). The dealership got on the phone and eventually got the RHD reflector and lens's set out no cost. I also keep the LHD reflector and lenses; so ended up with ostensibly 2 sets of lights. Still daylight robbery though.

Anyway, I then installed a set of these:
View attachment 136502

The light output is fantastic and easily drivable on Dip beam only. As the lenses and reflector is electrically adjustable on the truck, the throw/spread can be fine tuned. With the high beam it's like daylight, and when spots are on you can sunbathe !

Very pleased with the end result.

Job 3 of 118 complete.
Bugger the cost, I'm drooling.

There are no word to describe how jealous I am. This truck its going to be awesome.

Back