• Yes, keep its racing heritage

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As a complete numpty on what a “torsion frame” is, does that mean that the body/box will be sprung to the chassis, so that the chassis, the cab and the body/box will move independent of each other?

It all sounds very complicated, but essential stuff.

I can’t imagine the cost of all this, but can’t you spare a couple of bob so that the brute of a guy with the angle grinder could have some eye protection? :lol:

What a project, loving this thread, thanks for posting Lazz, and I share your frustrations with uploading photos, or not, as the case may be... :thumbup:

As a complete numpty on what a “torsion frame” is, does that mean that the body/box will be sprung to the chassis, so that the chassis, the cab and the body/box will move independent of each other?
:thumbup:

Spot on Clive:

I've gone for a spring type affair and not a 3 or 4 point Unimog type as they roll far too much even when stationary and inside the box.

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

Last pic shows frame in its fully flexed position at the Cab end of the chassis. The rear is hard bolted to the chassis with no movement. This is different to a 3 or 4point system that sits on inverted triangular pivots, which give much ore roll and flex... Unimog style. Not what I want as it become too unstable even at rest when inside the box.

Have you had the chassis galvanised?

Very 8nteresting you say how much the mog body moves. It's very frightening when on a side slope

I might not always look at the background. Seen some horrible 5h8ngs before

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Actually Lazz, I haven't the faintest clue either. I thing it's a typo of 'things' if you look at the key strokes.

Well, a big day today for the truck. Thanks for all of the help on the colour choice.

It has been really difficult to choose a colour that I'd be happy with, and I have seen so many that I like, so I just hope I like the end result.

Having the chassis, cab & wheels shot blasted/rust treated/ and painted/powder-coated. Job will take about 2 weeks and I'll post some updates if I can.

It has taken a lot of head scratching and research, time and effort to get it this far, but I feel we're moving ahead now.

Iceland is beckoning !!

I was proudly going to suggest “things” until @Chris beat me to it.

Too slow again... it’s what comes of driving a 1HZ...

Olazz - what's the plans for trips with the truck when it's completed - back to Africa or somewhere else.... ??

Olazz - what's the plans for trips with the truck when it's completed - back to Africa or somewhere else.... ??

Funnily enough, I was just getting shipping quotes today for both a RORO service and a CRATED service, having only used containers before. Truck is twice the size and it seems to be half the price of a container.

Will do a couple of shakedown trips in Europe first, to test out all of the complex systems, and see what works and what needs changing. The initial idea is to do Norway/Iceland and I'd like to go back to Portugal. Then will ship to Namibia, as we want to revisit S & N Luangua, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, then exploring India and heading east to get to Indonesia then on to Australia.

That's the current thinking.

Sounds good and sensible - I suppose it all hinges on how quickly u get the living accommodation done but what's the scheduling like - 2019 shakedowns - 2020 - off to Africa ??

Only one thing to add on the build - make sure you put the words - 'My other truck is a Land Cruiser' somewhere on the truck.

My only concern on a big truck and I've looked at a couple - is recovery 'stuff' getting stuck in a LC80 I've always felt as a 'bug***r it moment'... but getting stuck in a big truck is of higher concern..... I've always worked on the fact lockers, a shovel plus a winch and a handy tree/rock 'should' get you out of most spots in a LC80 without the requirement of a pull...and a pull if it's available is a great time saver...... but a big truck is a different matter... not knocking it - but what's your thoughts in this area...

Much of the time to build this truck, has been spent on research and finding the right bits for the type of build I want. I know what I demand when overlanding, so I am trying to recreate the same LC 80 experience/convenience/ability in a truck that weighs 12t instead of 4t.

I'm not too concerned about getting stuck... Been properly stuck in the cruiser in Mozambique... NO amount of winching, trees, maxtrax, or people helped. Had to be rescued with a 20t crane lift.

https://videopress.com/v/qeYn3OHB

More of a concern is when it gets stuck... and it will for sure, will we still be able to use the truck or will it be at such an acute angle as to make it uninhabitable? (seen that several times). One of the many reasons I'm not fitting an upright fridge either. So will always travel with an Oztent and small portable genny and independent cooking facilities to allow us to pitch camp beside the truck if necessary.

I know it will be a whole different way of travel, we may even dislike it. (not getting rid of the LC80 just yet).It will mean we can't go to some of the places we have been, because of size and weight, but we will be able to do many more things we couldn't do because of extra security and greater self sufficiency .

There is a burgeoning market for these big trucks in Europe, and well built ones seem to hold their values remarkably well....unlike converted LC80's! I'm sure I will recoup 70p/£ instead of 20p/£ for the current cruiser.

I'm keen to find out.

One thing... I do love the commanding driving position though, oh and the effortless 500+HP & huge torque.

It may all end in tears yet !! :confusion-shrug:

Last edited:
Take sections of white picket fence with you and a few rose bushes. You'll be fine for a few years at least!

Back