Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My overland camper trailer

Now that Shayne is brilliant buddy as said above have you bought a new one,got to be proude of that especially in such a short time,well done buddy and hope you all have a safe road/off-road trip and don't forget the photos.

Wow! Nice job....any chance you can do another :)...................................

Ehem… any piccies Shayne? I know it's raining.…hard but we're all waiting to see what it looks like deployed. [emoji6]

image.jpg

I first thought that was Helen's dressing table , thinking crikey that Shayne's created a Tardis and pulled out all the stops for his beloved. Then I realised…

Helen's not going to see anything in that mirror!

You know what's the best thing… the curtains!! They're fab!!

Seriously, that looks really homely, you've gotta be pretty pleased with how it's turned out.

It seems to have withstood the rain, sudden stop, and gun trailer bumping very well. I like it, it's got style!!

Very smart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers guys there is always room for improvement but this is our 11th day in the trailer and swambo hasn't complained yet so yes I am pleased , I haven't tried the trailer off road yet but with the brakes disabled it is a little compromised so I'm not overly eager to get it out there though I have no doubt at all it will go wherever my truck will go . Everyone was surprised how easy it is to manoeuvre by hand it looks so solid when I first arrived on sodden ground about 6 pair of hands stepped forward to assist but I can shift it on my own without much trouble .

Just a thought, but I wonder if there's any merit in fitting a race style hydraulic handbrake as an extra in the truck connected via a quick release to be able to manually brake the trailer wheels as an addition to the overrun brakes. Either that or to deploy an anchor out the back, which thinking about it Shayne might be more up your street given your business. [emoji6][emoji4]

I fear my trailer woes have somewhat sullied Ryan's trip report and i sincerely hope to be in a few photos of the next trip so while i'm always grateful for suggestions perhaps we could keep them over here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...per-trailer?highlight=overland+camper+trailer

With regards to the above, why not try something like this system, I know it works as I have used it without any problems in the past, used to tow a 5 ton trailer with a 1 ton pickup and the trailer would stop us faster loaded than the vehicle would by itself empty.
All our trailers were the mechanical type, we called them vacuum assisted brakes.

Looks even better JT, no fluid to worry about.

No fluid whatsoever, linked to foot brake so brakes feel normal, uses hgv standard airline fittings on the vacuum hoses and airline coupling and has the effect of making over run brakes look like a handbrake in comparison to this system.
Can be connected to the trailers standard brake system in parallel to over run brakes or replace the over run.
After using this system anytime I tow a trailer without it that uses over run brakes it feels like the trailers brakes don't work.

Looks great that Julian but i bet its not cheap ?

Back in the day a full system was in the region of R1500.00 fitted, what it is today I could not say, also I don't think anyone supplies a similar kit in the EU as my searches have brought up South African and Australian websites, the Americans like electronic brakes on their trailers but those I believe are not quite legal in the EU as I am informed by a friend that american trailers have to have their brakes converted to overrun type to be legal in the EU, I suspect that this vacuum system is also not legal in the EU, but as privately owned UK trailers are never tested and this aspect of the brakes will not be part of the MOT I don't see why retrofitting will be an issue.
In my opinion this system makes the trailer safer to tow both on and off road as the brakes are more effective.

Oh great now they have been mentioned burueatwats will make them a legal requirement :icon-rolleyes: the Rapier has hydraulic drum brakes with a mechanical handbrake and before the bump they worked better than my truck brakes . Right now the hydraulic ram is jammed at the stop (possibly bent) so i had to remove the pivot pin to release the brakes and continue on our way , I have yet to take it apart but my guess is there is a spring inside the ram housing which has snapped . While i do like the idea of more brake control it does seem a bit ott when the trailer is at my guess about 600kg .

As long as they are set up and the trailer is at the correct angle with the tow vehicle these mod trailers have amazing brakes and don't need to be modified. My old one would stop any vehicle I towed with it.

Stu

Unbolted all i could on the trailer hitch which resulted in nothing more than the bottom bash plate falling off , face plates or whatever you want to call the bit the ram slides in and out of didn't move (probably held in place by paint) so i give the towing eye a smack with a crowbar and hey presto the ram shot out to its normal towing position with enough force to make me glad i wasn't in its way . I think i will just replace the bolts and call it good .

Hey, that's good news Shayne, the least you have to mess with the hitch the better, IMO.

Thanks for that Rich i have given some thought to matching brakes to what is now a fixed load , not sure about the 1000kg to work though they seemed to work fine when i drove home after buying the trailer which was of course empty . I also looked up the spec some time ago using the trailers plate numbers and the weight was something like 550kg unladen . I am going to run some breaking distance tests anyway and might change the hitch for one like you posted if i'm not happy with the results .

It was common for the trailers to get jacknived by the military which put a slight bend in the shaft which would make it jam in and not work so well, You could find out using a dti gauge when spinning the eye.

Back