Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My quest for a new 80

Chris said:
I have RAC in case I break down.
A mate of mine has RAC cover and he says that they won't recover a vehicle unless its taxed. As I say it was a friend who told me this, so I can't confirm exactly. His motorbike broke down on the way back from the MOT station, when the RAC guy asked why it wasn't taxed, he told him that he'd taxed it online, using his mobile before he left the mot station.

I wouldn't fancy driving it, after it has stood for 5 years. How are the brakes? Could you hire a beaver tail recovery truck? Or if you've already sorted the deal, could you arrange for it to be picked up and delivered home in your absence? May help if your tight on time, but can't wait to get your hands on the new toy!

Cheers.

More good news, my Diesel Guy has just called and told me that he's tested the injectors and they are A1. Top condition. Very kindly stripped them and checked them internally too. Not just a quick spray test.

Money in the bank!

Chris

Push it into the street. Call RAC, its broken? They put it on a flatbed...

Sent from TapaTalk

Crispin said:
Push it into the street. Call RAC, its broken? They put it on a flatbed...

Sent from TapaTalk
But only if they can't fix it at the roadside :think:

If they can fix it, then so can I. No need to bother calling them.

Driving it does look like best option. But only if it does check out like Scott says - brakes and lights etc. But lads, it IS a Cruiser after all.

We'll see. The guys is a bit difficult to get hold of at times - although yesterday we chatted for ages, but would have been handy to have someone drop in to see it and give me a quick report on road worthiness. Don't have his address yet.

Chris

I don't doubt for one minute you couldn't fix it Chris, but I think Crispin was suggesting that as a way of getting it transported up to you, but the RAC would only call for a flatbed if the patrolman was unable to fix it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No I know that Chas. That's why I said I had RAC cover. I'm already on that one. BUT there is the question of whether they will transport it if it's not taxed. I can't tax it without MOT. I can't MOT it where it is. But I can drive to a prearranged test appointment. OK, it's 200 miles away, but there's nothing in law that says it has to be the closest one to where I buy the car. If it fails then I am allowed to drive it home from there. Like I say, all legal.

If I break down on the way to a prearranged MOT appointment, I would think that RAC would take me to the test centre.

Fine by me.

Chris

Plates and tax disc of the white one for the day maybe? onto the silver one?

Graham

Graham, you're surely not suggesting something illegal are you? :hand: Not on an open forum :doh:

Nah, can't do that anyway. Tax disc caught fire, reg is SORN anyway and the plates were incinerated!

Pretty much a non starter. Look the truck starts, I can MOT it down there, it's insured but there is the question on whether it will drive. If it'll go into gear then I'm off!

Chris

Chris said:
Graham, you're surely not suggesting something illegal are you? :hand: Not on an open forum :doh:

Indeed - us licensed firearm's holders have to keep our noses VERY clean!

Congratulations Chris :D Nice one m8 :thumbup:

None of the breakdown services will now recover a vehicle that does not have a valid MOT & Tax as many people were abusing their membership after buying car @ auction then driving them just down the road ready for recovery :roll: :whistle:

Coming Friday Morning!

Just need to get it to go of course and then we'll be set.

Chris

STOP PRESS. Early Pics

Getting excited now. It's loaded and n its way. Cant' wait to get it off the loader, crank her up, into gear and.... Oh hold on. No that won't be happening will it. Not till I can actually make it go. Maybe I'll just polish it a bit, eh.

C

photoA.jpg

Well done in finding a suitable 80 - it wasn't that hard in the end... :liar:

Something wrong with that last pic though.... it just doesn't look right for some reason...

No I know. I wanted them to put a sheet over it or better still a big notice that said

'Not Broken Down'

On the back

:thumbup: :thumbup: Great news mate! Hope you get it on the road soon. (don't let the green oval brigade see it on a trailer :o )

Back