Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My quest for a new 80

Yeah, c'mon Chris, are we there yet dad :lol:

aye where is it -
you were up early posting on tlocukyuks at 7.30am

I was up at six!!

Yes, it's here. Over all, it's very good. There is deff a couple of good weekends in it to get it really straight, but I rather think that it would pass its MOT today. OK only one crap dead battery in it and one battery tray missing (cheers Karl, already) and a few bits and bobs. But essentially, very nice. Pics later guys, taking the day off to rush around and get parts for a full on weekend. Anyone passing, in overalls will be treated with tea and biscuits. Might not get all fluids done. They may not need it.

BUT. The good news is that I may have found the autobox issue. It's a place to start anyway. The kick down cable has jammed in the full throttle position. So even at rest, the cable is pulled out in a loop. IF and I say IF it is attached at the other end, won't this be telling the box that it as full throttle - ie on kick down? Maybe that's why it would not want to select 1st. It could be the other end of the cable that's jammed. But like I say....

Start with the obvious eh?

Chris

Sounds encouraging, Chris - hopefully it's just the cable and you'll be fully mobile soon!

It looks like you're almost ready to graduate this thread from "Wanted" to "Your Garage" :clap:

Hey Chris, great news & now its time to say congrats on the new acquisition!!! Made up you got one that you wanted & all seems to be heading in the right direction :clap:

Have a fun weekend tinkering amigo :cool:

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Two possibilities come to mind with the cable which is a throttle position sensor for the hydraulics, not kick down which is handled electronicly ;) 1 - it has just jammed and the hydraulics see full throttle which means max clamping force on the clutch plates and harsher gear changes but doesn't stop any gear being used. 2 - the cable has been rubbing, jammed and then snapped, so you see it as full throttle at the injection pump end but the box sees idle throttle. That would give you soft flaring gear changes with probably some judder trying to pull away in 1st due to not enough clamping force on the clutches. Won't stop gears being selected. Start a thread for the box when you're ready :)

Cheers Jon. Thanks for that. Will start a thread this weekend. Whatever the position with the cable, it needs fixing!

Chris

And another avatar is required, what's it going to be "Silver Surfer" or "it's here".

AndyCook said:
you were up early posting on tlocukyuks at 7.30am
Ahoy ahoy Chris, I thought you'd resigned from that there place never to return...

My 80 is already called 'The Phoenix' on account of the number of times Julian V has resurrected it :lol: but we can share :thumbup:

I suppose you cant call it Big Silver as that would be BS :doh:

Great news Chris hearing you have found a replacement 80 :thumbup: Hope the problem with the box is a simple fix, make hay while the sun shines and get cracking with the repairs and updates. If ya need a few quid i'm willing to buy the winch bumper you made thats all burnt and scorched now... ;)
I'm sure it won't be too long before you have the silver dream machine up and running and out enjoying the lanes :mrgreen:
I hope to be out and about myself in a few weeks :pray: Keeping fingers crossed for 8th April...my next hospital appointment :violin:
Anyway...hope all runs smooth for you mate. :thumbup:

Cheers lads. Buy my winch bumper. Ha Ha. I think not. That's the first thing going back on along with a new winch. It's at the powder coaters at the minute as are the front wheels

Been buys all day looking, noting, twiddling, servicing.

Long and short is that is that it's in generally good shape. Not as rust free underneath as my white one. I think that driving them does get a certain amount of oil etc onto the chassis etc that protects it. Few things that don't work too which has me scratching my bonce. But hey, the rear wiper works!!

But the engine!!! Once I had replaced all the fuses etc and drained the 13 L of black sludge out of it (ATF is nearly to the top of the dipstick - those monkeys have just been pouring it in in the vain hope that will fix it), changed fuel filter after draining the tank and a new air filter - I touched the key; not turned it, literally a touch and it was idling. It is smoooth.

Karl came round tonight. 3 massive cheers for a top lad, brought me a battery tray strapped to his back on a motorbike. That's one hell of a favour.

OK About time to end this thread I think and start one on the bits an bobs that don't work!

This is Great White, signing out.

Coming soon, some sort of 'silver thing' type name. Whatever.

Chris

Too busy. Get yer overalls on and bring yer tools.

C

I would but I'm having to work to save some dosh for them there BFGs !!! I can come down in the evenings if that's any help mate ?

Congratulations Chris - look forward to seeing lots of pics (and mods) in the future! :thumbup:

Back