Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

mystery ticking from my 120

Sam

Garage
Belt? Bearing? Resident woodpecker? We'll see.

Starting this thread to track a problem in case it helps someone. Developed an oddball ticking noise that kept time with the revs.

Found somewhere quiet and private to stick my head under the bonnet (cos we don't lift bonnets eh!) .. and got worried by the rather loud tick coming from the front left side of the block. Eek!

To my untrained ear it sounds like a broken bearing somewhere... But we shall see.. Its booked in with mr T on Tuesday.. Fingers crossed. I'm guessing air con compressor or something because belt shouldn't be gone at 60k and anything else is scarier!

I had something similar with mine which varied with the revs, turned out to be the water pump bearing. Grabbing hold of the fan and wobbling it about was the test to see if any play could be felt.

Alternator went prematurely on mine at 210,000 miles.

Gra.

Sorry to hear this Sam, i know its not a landcruiser but my sister had a ticking noise on her fiesta tdci and that turned out to be the injector seals. I do hope this is not the case.

Joe

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had this for a while iirc. It sounded like a stone in the tyre, but wasn't. I've had the injector seals done ( by West coat off road) and a new alternator, and it's gone. Tbh I didn't know what was causing it.

No play in the fan Trevor - hoping that's good!
I did consider the alternator - but It's only done 60k :think:

Anyway... It's Tuesday and I dropped it in with Mr. T at 8am.

Plan was they get stuck in early to diagnose the problem so they can order in any bits needed for a same day fix.... but of course they would call first to see how many children I would have to sell to cover it......

..... It's now half 3 .... I left them with spanners in hand at 8 .... still no call .... :shock: .. nervous now ...

As far as injector seals are concerned... I can't even bring myself to contemplate it - so I won't! I don't care how much it sounds like pinking... It's not being considered. :eusa-snooty:

I'll keep this updated when I have more info... fingers crossed for a herd of leaves stuck in the belt.

But don't Toyota sort the injector seals for free, as part of the service now?

Gra.

Might it be the bearing on the second water / heater pump? Mine was a bit rough and noisy when first started and I remember Tommo's was the same on his Prado. You can't get just the bearing from Mr-T though, who assembly at £280 IIRC from Simon.
Tommo removed, cleaned and repacked his which solved the problem.

No play in the fan Trevor - hoping that's good!
I did consider the alternator - but It's only done 60k :think:

Anyway... It's Tuesday and I dropped it in with Mr. T at 8am.

Plan was they get stuck in early to diagnose the problem so they can order in any bits needed for a same day fix.... but of course they would call first to see how many children I would have to sell to cover it......

..... It's now half 3 .... I left them with spanners in hand at 8 .... still no call .... :shock: .. nervous now ...

As far as injector seals are concerned... I can't even bring myself to contemplate it - so I won't! I don't care how much it sounds like pinking... It's not being considered. :eusa-snooty:

I'll keep this updated when I have more info... fingers crossed for a herd of leaves stuck in the belt.

Well, is it that bad your still trying to get up off the floor:lol:

Joe

Well.... what can I say... I'm not on the floor - but I am stumped!

Mr. T, armed with special spanners, gadgets, sticky tape, much knowledge and a full 8 hours to play with - found..... nothing. Yup, nothing. After almost 3 weeks of consistent noise - nothing. :shock:

Fortunately I took it in for the tech guys to have a listen the week before and they heard it quite clearly - saying I should get it in quick.
This confirmed I wasn't mad and they didn't just laugh it off. Instead they tightened things up, re tidied cables away etc. - but then they couldn't find the noise. It sounded pretty bad as I drove it in to the car park and they didn't do anything they thought could fix a problem... so confusion all round.

Convinced, as I was, that the noise was real and "internal", they kept going - for hours... but nothing. Not a blip, knock or rattle. It sounds new.

This from the LC that sounded like it's wheels were falling off only to be completely fixed by having it's "clips" greased. :lol:

After washing and cleaning it inside and out - they decided not to charge me anything for the day! Well done Mr. T. :dance:

Its been a few days now and still not a squeak. I expect it will return - but for now... result! :thumbup:

Wow amazing re no charge! What Mr. T was this?

Update... SWMBO just called... there's a little patch of oil on the driveway! :lol:

Keep you posted.......

Back