Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Cruiser

Mark01

Country Flag
england
Hi All, I have been looking around on this forum for a while and have definatley found some good tips on these landcruisers.
Last week i bought a white vx which is a k reg. It has done 298km with everything working as it should, with a manual gearbox. It is from someone i know so i have not too many worries about any hidden problems. It has needed a good clean out but there is hardley any rust showing even around the tailgate is clean.
I will try and get some pictures up at the moment i keep getting told the file is too big.
Is there any advise you guys can pass me on anything to check out.
The only thing i would like at the moment are some original alloy wheels on her as she has some aftermarket ones on that need re painting.
One small problem is it jumps out of third gear when travelling if you take your foot of the power and put back on. Is this anything common or could it bee a box re build sometime.

cheers Mark.

Welcome onboard Mark - looking forward to seeing your pics :cool: Try hosting them on Photobucket & posting links from there...

On the wheels, drop Karl Wester a note on here - he will be able to help you out :cool:

Cheers

Welcome. You are in the right place for Cruisers and that's a fact. Sounds like a tidy truck. I am afraid that gear box anomalies on the manual are pretty typical. There are one or two common issues - but by no means in every truck. One is that they can pop out of 1st as you describe for your 3rd gear and another where they won't drop down into 2nd. Some of these can I understand be alleviated with different oils, but I think the only real fix involves spanners and bits in boxes. I know that there some current thoughts on rebuilding manual boxes at the moment after someone stripped one and came up with some answers on what causes these.

Chris

Here are some photos of when i picked it up.
I will get some better ones on once i master this.
NewForest-20120529-00002.jpg

IMG-20120529-00001.jpg

NewForest-20120529-00004.jpg

Thanks Gav and Chris,
I may have some wheels sorted now already thanks to this forum. :clap:
I think the gearbox will be a job for a bit later on as at the moment if you hold onto the stick then all is well.
I am just trying to clean it up a bit at the mo as it was sat around for about 7 months before i got it.
I am after a o/s/r corner bumper if any one can help.

Cheers Mark

Welcome to the forum Mark.
Your not a zillion miles from me, just got a bit of water in the way.
(southampton water)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Poole-20120613-00011.jpg

Poole-20120613-00019.jpg

It's starting to look a bit better now. The front axle may need looking at.

{Admin - fixed your links}

I had a white one. They look really good with black wheels. In fact black bumpers, snork etc all look good on a white truck. Certainly worth tinting the glass.

Chris

[attachment=1:3fsku30x]IMGP4092.JPG[/attachment:3fsku30x]
[attachment=0:3fsku30x]P1013807.JPG[/attachment:3fsku30x]

Attachments

• IMGP4092.JPG
    IMGP4092.JPG
    583.4 KB · Views: 330
  • P1013807.JPG
    P1013807.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 327
Thanks nivapilot.
Chris that is a nice truck you had there. I am going to tint the windows for sure , the wheels do look good in black. I did have ideas of tidying mine up almost factory like and the mechanicals as tip top as I can and have a nice straight truck.but now I like the look of yours. I got some thinking to do now, is your front bumper a one off or can you buy them easy enough.
Can anyone recommend any good source for parts used and new?

Cheers,Mark

Bumpers and sliders all home made. So very much one offs.

Spares - well we can help there. Obviously there is the local main dealer - which sometimes IS necessary.
Karl and Stef can get you just about every nut and bolt off a truck between them as they break 80s
Milner in Matlock, Derbyshire have some very good replacement parts, some genuine and some to be avoided.
And we have a friendly main dealer who can offer members some Club discount

Other options are available at times, but these are the main ones that we dip into.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the heads up on the parts front. If I get on and get my car up to scratch I don't suppose I could commission you to build me one of those front bumpers, I think it looks like it's meant to be there. :cool:
Cheers, mark

No. Not really Mark. But if I make a new one, I can sell you this one. I am tempted to do another. Thing is that when you make things yourself, you save heaps. Problem is that when people see that and ask to have one made, they expect the same savings. My time to me is free. But to you? See the problem? An ARB bumper might be £900. I make myself one for £100. You want one - you'd be looking at £2000. Not because it's sensational and better than an ARB but because it would take me weeks. My current 80 has taken pretty much every single Saturday and Sunday for a whole year plus the parts. What's it worth on the open market - £5000? What's it actually cost me? I can't say. No really I can't because if Mrs Chris found out, there'd be more than a horse's head in my bed I can tell you. If I said £25 / hr the simple maths on that would come to around £25000. Jeez, does it really? Gulp. :roll: That doesn't even include the parts, tools, equipment or Tunnock's Teacakes.

Chris

I know what you are saying mate. It seems like what we do with old tractors and then people want us to refirb there's cheap. I am mechanically minded, not so good on building things from scratch. I can fix stuff or work off a plan. Definitely let me know if you ever decide to sell that bumper.
Cheers mark

Back