New Nissan engine

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Borrowed from Ben.

The DIG-T R’s base engine is 500 mm tall x 400 mm long x 200 mm wide (19.68 x 15.74 x 7.78 in), but it puts out power like a fire hose at 400 bhp (298 kW) and 380 Nm (280 ft-lb) of torque.
FB_IMG_1462345321058.jpg FB_IMG_1462345317332.jpg FB_IMG_1462345310187.jpg FB_IMG_1462345294533.jpg

Looks about the size of the Smart 698cc engine. I wonder how long before it blows up trying to get that sort of power must be only for a short time.
I can see this is something I need to look at. :)

I wonder how different it is. Can I bike engine develop that much torque? I thought they had a very short stroke.

The cooling system must have to work hard on that engine - looks like they've got the walls down to a minimum.

I wonder when they will bring out NoS as standard to increase the output of engines :)

Its seriously cool! :icon-biggrin:

I want to put one in a Jimny. :icon-twisted:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its seriously cool! :icon-biggrin:

I want to put one in a Jimny. :icon-twisted:
Would it not make a really bad engine for a 4x4? Spans of torque but you have to keep it boiling to realise that. You wouldn't want the turbo to slow down at an inconvenient time.

OMG i want one it would be like having a 2-stroke 4x4 :D

Truly awesome engineering, 2 would got very nicely in my track car :)

I wonder how long before it blows up trying to get that sort of power must be only for a short time. :)

I remember way back, a guy called Dave Vizard a serious engine builder and known for quick mini's, he was different in that he had his own 'dyno' in the back garden shed! He became well known for exposing fake claims from tuning manufacturers, in particular in the states

He managed 500 BHP from a Ford 2,000 OHC engine, which was NA. It lasted 15 seconds!

regards

Dave

I think he wrote some engine tuning books Dave ?

Yes mate, he was the first person to get a genuine 100 BHP from a mini engine, watched his daughter in her 1275GT mini red face a Lotus Elan driver at the pod donkeys years back.

regards

Dave

The current Kawasaki ZZR1400/ZX14R engine at 1441cc kicks out just over 200bhp @10000rpm and 120lb/ft @7000rpm as standard. Revs like that (in a lightweight 4x4) might be OK for high speed desert racing etc but for most off road 4x4 work I reckon they'd be a right PITA! Turbo charged versions easily hit well over 400bhp. The new supercharged race only Kawasaki H2R is over 320bhp from 1000cc but, again, it's all high rpm stuff. Bikes obviously just don't need the huge low down torque of a 2 1\2 ton mud plugger. That Nissan engine looks tiny, smaller than the 14R motor so I wonder was cc it displaces.
When I started tinkering with and rebuilding/tuning engines over 30 years ago now I referenced a book called 'Performance Tuning in Theory and Practice' by a guy called A. Graham Bell which came in very useful. JMO

I want one of those for my mates car.
His has just gone bang after 300 miles, bloody turbo over heated as needs a much bigger oil cooler.
Moved radiator to the boot to make space for the intercooler and turbo, lots of ducting etc etc still got too hot lol.

Pic of turbo/engine attached!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1462397225146.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462397225146.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 99
There's a (rather long) youtoob vid of a training seminar given by David Vizard, tuning the A series 850, interesting stuff.

Nice one Clive. Alongside of the video you see other videos for 'Janspeed', and of course there was other tuning houses, brought back memories that's for sure.

regards

Dave

There was another book "Tuning for Speed". I tried some suggestions on my 1936 16H side valve Norton. It the went even slower.

I know nothing about Norton Frank, is a 4 stroke motor bike engine?

regards

Dave

Back