Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Nissan engine

Yes 4 stroke side valve 490 cc. BSA used a similar one. BSA also supplied theirs for large lawnmowers.

I wonder how much WORK ( power x time ) you can achieve out of one gallon of petrol assuming no loses. I wonder how many MPG it will do ? Probably designed to run for almost constant revs as it's part of a hybrid set up.

I would imagine Frank's Norton was something like one of these

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely machines!

Last edited:
That WAS my first bike Clive but I found it in a ditch abandoned. I hid it round the back of the petrol station so no other dick could steal it and I reported it to police. It had no number plates and the police did not ask for any details. So after 3 months I was the legal owner. I remember pushing it up the hill to our house. What a nightmare.

I spent just short of 21 years either building or machining parts for nissan engines (although in truth mostly making sure other people built them properly) unfortunately it was mainly Bluebird, Primera, Serena, Almera, Micra and Note engines, the most exotic engines i got near were Infinity engines when i worked in Japan for a short while in the early 90's. Interesting to see they have gone for a timing belt rather than a chain one would assume for weight reasons.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What ever you did worked, I can see them now, thanks and those are lovely looking machines.

Yes, it's strange. What I did was no different from the first time around, but this time they've "stuck" OK.

I love old machines, bikes, motor bikes, cars, sewing machines, anything really, even old farm machinery fascinates me (I'm weird I know :think: but that's just the way it is :lol:).

Yes, it's strange. What I did was no different from the first time around, but this time they've "stuck" OK.

I love old machines, bikes, motor bikes, cars, sewing machines, anything really, even old farm machinery fascinates me (I'm weird I know :think: but that's just the way it is :lol:).

Me too. There are some great open air museums around here (Amberley Chalk Pits museum and The Weald & Downland are two) and a fair band of people who have vintage vehicles in preservation. Some wonderful old Scammels about as well as many of the old commercial vehicles. We even took the chance to visit Fred Dibnah's house for an open evening and Lancashire hotpot in his workshop. Great.

I know nothing about Norton Frank, is a 4 stroke motor bike engine?

:grinning: Its a single cylinder four stroke - like a Briggs & Stratton motor mower engine - but bigger, heavier and uses more fuel.

(Very old technology these days - but us 'Classic' enthusiasts love them).

Bob.

I cant veiw those, I get this message

Land Cruiser Club - Error
The requested attachment could not be found.

oh well, more work for the boss lol
Oh dear :( I can see them in the original post but not your quote. I'll fix it (somehow...)

A friend of mine, now in his 80's, still has his old Norton (Atlas I think) and another (Dominator in bits) in the garage along with his Fireblade. When we used to go to the TT (he on his Fireblade) I used to ask him why he never fancied going on the Norton and his reply was, "cos I want to get home again" :lol: Some of his tales of blow ups and mechanical misery were very entertaining. After test riding a 750F1 in the mid 70's he immediately bought one and never looked back (forgive the pun)!

Funny, a bike pulled into the pub carpark tonight that looked very similar to the norton, it was british but had a italian sounding name.

Funny, a bike pulled into the pub carpark tonight that looked very similar to the norton, it was british but had a italian sounding name.

Nortono?

OK OK.

My father rode bikes until his sight started to go, he did tell me about an Ariel Square 4 he owned? No idea what that is? Bikes have never been my 'thing', I have friends with bikes that do a UK to Amsterdam 'run' on a regular basis, remember setting up a device for someone, it was for flipping the rear number plate so it could not be seen.

So, cars it is for me.

regards

Dave

SC + I like old stuff too. I know a metal work shop. It's been there since 30's at least. I happened to call in and ask if there was anything old for sale. It happens they are closing so I bought the giant cast iron metal folder and guillotine. I was so amazed i forgot to look through the rest of the shop !!

Nortono?

OK OK.

My father rode bikes until his sight started to go, he did tell me about an Ariel Square 4 he owned? No idea what that is? Bikes have never been my 'thing', I have friends with bikes that do a UK to Amsterdam 'run' on a regular basis, remember setting up a device for someone, it was for flipping the rear number plate so it could not be seen.

So, cars it is for me.

regards

Dave

The square 4 was literally that, 4 cylinders in a square. Ariel made them from circa 1930 - 1959.

image.jpeg

BSA bought up Ariel before its own demise. Ariel was another well respected Birmingham based manufacturer in its day...

image.jpeg

The square 4 was literally that, 4 cylinders in a square. Ariel made them from circa 1930 - 1959.

In 1968 I bought a non-running 'basket case' square four for £10.

Two years and £400 later it won the concourse at the Ariel Owners' Club Annual Rally. I loved that bike, it was my 'trademark' and collected a crowd everywhere I went. I used to do 20,000 miles a year on it.

I sold it when I moved to a top floor flat in Edinburgh (from my parent's home in Somerset), I always regretted it.

Today I have an Ariel 'VH' 500cc single, two BMW 'GS' and a 1931 P&M 'Panther' I'm restoring. There is a Triumph T20 'Tiger Cub' in bits as well. One can never have too many bikes!

Bob.

Small world. my friend who is a retired engineer bought a basket case square 4 a few months ago. it's 1936 ish 500 cc OHC. He's just made new shafts for the crank assy and is making some cast iron valve guides.

Thanks for that Clive, my lack of biking interest meant I never followed it up to see what it was. Yes Frank a small world.

regards

Dave

Back