Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

noob question for 97 prado handbrake shoes

rosco1986

hi all,
have recently purchased a 97 plate prado import, but within a week of driving it, have noticed a really annoying grating noise coming from the rear brakes

so i bit the bullet and took the rear wheels, caliper and disc off, and discovered the retaining clip which sits ontop of the spring was resting inside the bottom of the disc, which im guessing was the annoying noise

now ive done a fair bit of work on cars, but this shoe setup seems rather awkward to work around, due to the fact the hub is covering the the whole of the shoes :wtf:

normally when there is a hub in the way, there is a big hole to work through, but not on this?

so my question is, do you remove the hub (which could be hard due to the bearing) or is there an 'easy' way to fit the shoes, or have you just got to struggle around the hub?

many thanks :)

The whole disc comes off which then reveals the shoes. its an all in one set up. if the disc is tight to get off over the shoes then line a hole up and use a blade screwdriver to undo the adjuster cog. if you do a search there are loads of posts on adjusting rear brakes.

Joe

ive already removed the discs, just more struggling with how the shoes get put together

the retaining pin with the bend/crank seems to be slack when i put the washer, spring and retainer on.

so just need to know if you need to remove the hub to get better access to the shoes, or struggle around it

thanks

You dont need to remove the hub to put the shoes on. If the cranked pin is to long mine was i just bent it back so that it wasnt rubbing on the hub and it was fine.
You need to put the shoe that is attached to the cable on first then the other one.
Its a crappy job but i got through this last night. sorry didnt take photos.
stu

Back