Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil catch can kit

knicko

Country Flag
uk
Since removing my EGR system last year, I’ve found quite a lot of oil builds up in the air intake, so much so that I can’t stop oil leaking from the EGR blanking plate on the end of the inlet manifold. I have used gaskets and silicon, but still it leaks.

I’m going to take all the inlet apart again and remove the manifold, so I can clean it all again properly. This time I want to fit an oil catch can system between the crank breather on the rocker cover and the turbo, to curb problems in future.

Can anyone recommend a catch can kit that works nicely with a TD 3.0 engine variant please?

I use a provent 200 on mine, I would add that make sure whatever one you get, that the breather hose size fittings are equal or larger size than the crankcase breather fittings, you don't want to restrict it

I use a provent 200 on mine, I would add that make sure whatever one you get, that the breather hose size fittings are equal or larger size than the crankcase breather fittings, you don't want to restrict it

Ok that’s great thanks. I’ve seen a few ideas about mounting the unit so I’ll have a go at that. I’ll need to get some hose to cut lengths to suit the location of the catch can inlet & outlet. I presume this will need to be correct grade of hose for use with oil products?

your supposed to use oil rated hose yes, but to be honest I have had 5/8 (19mm) heater hose going to mine and will replace it if it starts to go soft, been ok for over a yr so far

I've been considering this one - it's on the pricey side though.

http://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts/flashlube-catch-can-pro/

Woah, that is pricey!

I think I’ll start at the cheaper end of the spectrum and work up if I think it needs it. I reckon once I’ve fitted one, by pulling off the outlet hose from the catch can whilst the engine is running, a clean rag held up to it should give an idea if it’s effective.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll post some results once I know the outcome.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On my race car I use an old metal 1 gallon oil can with some hole drilled in the top as a vent with a bit of oil proof pipe running into it.

After my alternator failed the other day, I thought I would take the opportunity to get a couple of jobs sorted at the same time, namely install the oil catch can system and clean out the intake system again.
For the sake of four easily accessible bolts, I took off the air con compressor (left the pipework in situ and just tied the compressor back out the way), which made access to the alternator much easier.
I had got myself a Provent 200 catch can (about £100 delivered), which is quite big, so finding somewhere to mount it with a clear run for hoses was a bit of a head-scratcher at first. In the end, I squeezed it in between the ABS unit and the brake servo, mounted on the O/S inner wing with some DIY store type steel brackets. There are two convenient threaded holes on the inner wing and after bending the brackets into shape, the catch can was bolted in place.
I attached some clear 12mm hose to the catch can 'waste' outlet at the bottom, and routed the hose down the engine bay alongside the O/S wheel arch and loosely cable tied it to the chassis and ARB.
A plastic tap on the end of this hose will enable me to drain off excess oil every now and again.
catchcan1.jpg
catchcan2.jpg
catchcan3.jpg
catchcan5.jpg

The final result. The routing of the throttle cable has had to alter a bit, but it moves just as freely as it did.
catchcan4.jpg

While I was crawling around under the vehicle, I was reminded how ropey the metal coolant pipes going to the rear heater are getting. To prevent impending doom in the form of a pipe burst and coolant leak, I took the opportunity to by-pass the rear heating system and removed the now unnecessary pipework.

Going from this...
heater1.jpg

To this ...
heater2.jpg

If you're quick, you won't lose much coolant while you cut and reseal the 'bypass' hose!

Since removing my EGR system last year, I’ve found quite a lot of oil builds up in the air intake, so much so that I can’t stop oil leaking from the EGR blanking plate on the end of the inlet manifold. I have used gaskets and silicon, but still it leaks.

I’m going to take all the inlet apart again and remove the manifold, so I can clean it all again properly. This time I want to fit an oil catch can system between the crank breather on the rocker cover and the turbo, to curb problems in future.

Can anyone recommend a catch can kit that works nicely with a TD 3.0 engine variant please?
Look on ebay I got mine for about £20 and simple to fit and maintain as the can has a see through tube at the side so you know how much oil is in so as you can empty it with the drain plug thats fitted or just unbolt it and empty it they are made of aluminium billet and look nice they come in silver , blue, or black and you can buy and fit black silicone hose to look like OE equipment or the clear hose that come free with the can . I plumbed mine to air via a small cotton type filter to the bottom of the engine bay with the can at the top opposite the brake res to the side of the wing which already had some pre drilled holes so no drilling in to the bodywork was needed and blocked the turbo end so no crankcase gas goes back in the engine just clean air for more engine power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back