Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OMG What the heck is that parked on my drive??????

Looks great Chris. You perseverance finally paid off. Looking forward to the build.

Thanks chaps.

Well it came from a good source so I bought with confidence. I have managed to grab a rather wet look around it today with pad and pencil in hand and all I can really find is the sort of typical service items that you'd expect. Oils, fluids, filters, belts, stats, wipers etc. Underneath is pretty good. Front axle rebuild is standard anyway and I can see a tiny little bit of oil creeping from one end, but that was always going to be on the cards. Centre diff locker not working yet, but need dry day to get onto that. Bonus not having ABS. One less bit of kit to worry about. It has 214k on it with stamps in the book up to 184k so 30k with no records. With the way it drives that doesn't bother me.

So a degree of basic maintenance to do before I start adding anything. Not got the alarm blipper working yet. Light comes on on the dongle but nothing happening with the doors. I'll sort that in due course too.

It should make a good one.

I can assure you that this is NOT an off roader. Why on earth would I build two of those? I have thought about nicking the leather interior out of the phoenix though.

So, servicing and putting straight first
Then:

Window tinting first actual mod
Drawers
ARB
Winch
Wheels and tyres
Suspension
Brakes
etc

And at last some space in my workshop!

Well done Chris, I bet Andy says you finally saw sense :icon-cool:

Congrats to you Chris, no more long journey's down the motorway to come back disappointed!
Now the real fun can begin - looking forward to your build thread.

IQ

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep. Got it booked in for a respray today.......

Colour, wouldn't be blue by any chance would it?

Last edited:
Nice one Chris. I look forward to the development....

Cheers Lorin. baseline to do first. Managed to doge the rain a bit today and had a good scoot around it. Not fiddled with everything yet but got a spread sheet filled in. Basically everything needs a service. No records for the last 30 k and going through it, it really needs all oils, filters, coolant instead of sludge, brake and clutch fluid etc as you'd expect really. front axles need a sort too, but honestly, there is nothing lurking that I can find. It's had some new brake pipes to the rear at some point and there are quite a few non OME jubilee clips here and there, but it does seem to have been genuinely looked after. Steel spare is in very poor condition and not actually sealing on the rim properly, but that will be gone soon.

List of check, repair, replace really is not horrendous. OK the bill for parts will be. No change there. But, many of the items it needs are fine from the Milners catalogue. Some genuine Toyota bits for sure.

Spent the afternoon trying to resurrect the lockers. Seem to have the centre working now, but when you release the button on the dash rather then when you push it in Huh, WTF? Dash light not working though when you run the initial dash check. Wheels off the ground, all four definitely working with that locked though. Better after I replaced the lock sensor switch. But as yet, not a thing, nada from the front and rear locker. No clicking or anything at all. Will pull the motors and just test them on my other truck. I have spares - naturally.

No can do amigo. It has to remain in a virgin state just for now. Still some base lining to do. Not adding anything until it's all square, road tested and 'understood' if you follow me. No doubt it's good - it feels good. But giving it a road trip this weekend up Noorth and not until I have formed a relationship with it, will I be bolting on the expensive bits.

Wheels first to see what they're like, then maybe the diffs. But not until the tints have been done.

To say it's got 214k on it, you'd really think it was barely used. I reckon it's been on a rolling road for at least 100k. Every thing works. Not a bulb blown. OK it's not mint, but it is excellent. Some scuff on the bonnet that I may have fixed. It's so nice that it would be a shame not to sort them out.

Well the big Grey Ghost wafted up to Scotland with ease. Not a worry. And better still I brimmed it before I left and again up here and it did 28.55 mpg
Totally standard, cruise set at 60 all the way, changed gear at Scotch Corner, again to join M6 then did all the roundabouts on the A75 in 4th

I know 60 isn't everyone's choice but I wanted a reference point. Incidentally at 60 it seemed pretty quick actually

Very pleased

In March this year I achieved 30.66 mpg at 65 mph (indicated) on a 800 mile trip to Scotland and back. 3 up.

There may be a little more potential in yours Chris if you do the pump timing and run on 35 psi road tyres. Also check front tow in. I find exactly parallel is best on the 80. Easy to measure and hardly any front passenger tyre wear.

Frank

Tracking is out I feel and not sure on current pressures they feel a bit hard actually
Only thing I didn't get round to checking after all the servicing I did to get it ready to come up here
Might have done better but I couldn't resist doing to 60 to 70 acceleration in 5th. Fantastic
We can check pump timing but given the way it goes I'd be surprised if we got more out of it.

Hi Chris,

60 mph is OK,

that fuel consumption is only a few mpg behind the 120 series.

I would be happy with them figures.

Gra

very impressive

best i have got out of my auto collie is 27.5mpg, that was with AT tyres and suspension lift

it will only go down as you start modding it though :icon-evil:

I had 23mpg towing the caravan at 60-65 up to Scotland in Sept and 33 running around up there. On AT tyres.

Back