Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

One for the tech's please

silvercruiser

Hello my l/c is making a bit of noise its when its cold and sitting in neutral if i rev it to about 2500 it has a slight rattle but once warm its fine ive done a quick video on the phone to try and help with the rattle

th_005.jpg

and before anyone picks up on it im changing my belts at the weekend :lol:

any thoughts please.

Joe

This is normal.... I think. :?:

It takes a bit of time for the oil to lubicate around and get to the top where the crankshaft is.
Mine has a tap noise when cold but after 2/3 minutes it will disappear. Does it make any noises when the engine is up to temp. Are oil fluids goods?

when warm all is good no noise. and yeah all oils are spot on and i changed them about 4 weeks ago so nice and new too.

silvercruiser said:
when warm all is good no noise. and yeah all oils are spot on and i changed them about 4 weeks ago so nice and new too.

Well then I think is just normal as once warm it will go. Nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

I hope so, i just dont like the noise as im sure it didnt do it before. and its now got 151k on th clock so doing well it doesnt smoke and purrs along all the time so i hope this noise is fairly normal.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
If the engine was cold in that video then don't rev it so high until the oil has circulated properly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Might also be worth a quick valve clearance check the next time ur servicing it....

Dave

Thanks Dave i will check when i next give it a service, il have a look in the max ellery beforehand and see what they should be. I take it you can get some type of shim if they are out :?:

Joe

You didnt swap to a fully synthetic oil did you?

10W40 is the wrong oil for the UK at this time of year I thought? Shouldn't it be 0W30 for the UK?? And diff in viscosity us probably what's causing the rattle??

My sticker on the inside of the bonnet says 5w30 in winter.
I don't bother, I use 15w40 all year round. I have no faith in that lighter oil on older engines like mine.

No real need for winter oil in the UK, no where near cold enough, unless you live in the Scottish Highlands of course

Just to resurrect this thread, my noise has finally reared it's ugly head.

I could here the noise at idle and it sounded like the viscous coupling on the fan, so I switched it off and thought its cold enough il take the fan off but when I started to crack the nuts to take it off I noticed movement :o , it is the bearing on the water pump that I changed just over a year ago so thanks to milners once again I will be taking it off to replace :(

So calling mr rubie :D

Joe

Milner do sell OEM water pumps now ;)

Rob said:
Milner do sell OEM water pumps now ;)

I looked on the site but only lists one, i have PM'd Mr Rubie so fingers crossed he can get one, if not i'l phone milners and see what price they can do for a genuine one.

Joe

Probably best phoning Milner, Joe - saw Ian this morning and it'll be a month or 2 or more before he's likely to do another order.

Ok cheers Andrew i dont think i can leave this for much longer as it has quite a bit of play :shock:

Joe

Just an update, i phoned milners on monday and told them my problem and they seemed quite shocked it only lasted about 17 months and said they had no other reports, so i must be lucky. I also asked if they can get a genuine water pump and the answer was no :thumbdown: .

so i pm'd parts king on here and he has sorted me out some discount on the rrp and its hopefully on its way as we speak so nice one Parts king :thumbup:

Joe

Well my water pump arrived today Thanks parts king :thumbup:

just need to find some time to change it, i might as well change the timing belt while im down there as i have all the bits sitting in the garage :D

Joe

Back