Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oz tour Oct,Nov,Dec,2011

hi Tony,

Betsy looks awesome. 40s/45s always get looks because they are the best!

have a brilliant trip, looking forward to the pics as and when

regards,

Rodger & Corinne

Hi guys,

Still in Warwick, had a few hic ups, hopefully sorted today, then we head to the "back of Bourke", and hit the dirt.

Will get more pics up when we get to friends at Broken Hill, all being well around the weekend.

Cheers,

Hey Tony

We drove past the farm yesterday on the way back from a site visit to Gloucester - I was all set to call in for a cuppa til I realised you were over there... :twisted:

Mind you, there was a huge pall of black smoke coming from the farm area so I thought things might be a bit busy there too :p

Only messin' ;)

Hurry up with those photographs eh... :p

Hi Tony,

Truck looks great. Those 40's are real icons!! Look forward to seeing the pics.

Have a good one.

cheers

Reinhard

Update from Tony follows:

G'day, I guess I have to put that!

Since leaving the Warwick area, where Betsy had a bit of electrical work done, and a set of rear air bags fitted, she drives like a dream. The rear boxes are pretty heavy and the springs aren't heavy duty, so she did sit a bit on her arse. Air bags were the quickest and easiest solution where I was, though AMMS will fit a heavy duty set on her return to Brisbane,along with a more major rewire. The rear shocks are off Milo, a set of TJM XGS Gold edition, and up front I have a pair of EFS Elite shocks, and steering damper. Really like the set up, not too harsh over the rough stuff, but excellent on road.

Driving an iconic truck like this is getting somewhat loads of attention, especially as she is in such good order, we haven't stopped yet and not had anyone come up to talk to us about her. I have even had photos taken, and this is only the start of the trip.also been asked to sell, but no, not happening, the more I drive her, the better she gets. She is doing around the 25 mpg Mark as well, and no oil used in first 1000km,not too bad,as we have just gone over the 370000km mark.

So, after warwick we headed west towards Bourke, well known as the real outback, as it is a few miles from anywhere. After a wander around town,restock the waeco, we headed to a National Park for a good walk,and to hit the red dirt, before finding the Darling River which we then followed south, towards Louth. It was getting on in the day, so a sign to Trilby Station has led us to a perfect camp spot, right on the steep banks of the Darling.

The heavy rains in Queensland at the start of the year flooded 20000acres of their 320000acres,and left the main homestead on an island for three months, but now all is green, grass everywhere along with thousands of goats, Roos and Emus, oh and also sheep, they have a lot of them too. Checking the stock water everyday is by plane, takes only an hour or two, otherwise it's a 400km trip by Toyota,and 11 hours. Yes, this man only drives yotas, a big V8 cruiser for the Mrs, two hilux, three 79 series utes, one with the new V8, the others the great 4.2 diesels. Have found two old 40s in the sheds, one of which needs tlc,the other is set for roo shooting,with a great big light force on top and three seats bolted to the tray. Also an old landie mk 1,never used greatly for obvious reasons. Two planes and one chopper.

We have done a station drive this morning, and came across the old homestead, which is amazingly Still furnished, got an aga but not been lived in since 1965!!!!!

So all is going well, I write this sat on the edge of the river under several giant red gums, giving superb shade. A slight breeze is blowing through, and the birds are all around, being incredibly vocal, especially the kookaburras, which is fine in the day, but damn annoying at sunrise,about 5am.

Tomorrow we head further south towards Wilcannia,then hit the black top towards Broken Hill, where we catch up with friends on a station just north of the town, for those of you who know the Outback challenge, the Stephens Creek sector is on their property at the 9 Mile station. There I hope to find wifi and get this posted to you, McDonalds at least as it's free. Might have a sneaky cappachino and toasted banana bread too!!! Then a proper bed for the night, first time since arriving, dont get me wrong, love camping, but a mattress and clean sheets will be welcome.

Enjoy the photos,

Cheers, Tony and Becky.

Morning by the river
photo03.JPG

photo04.JPG

Outback NSW
photo05.JPG

Roos
photo06.JPG

Things you come across
photo07.JPG

Yes, she still goes, the roo shooter
photo08.JPG

Long dirt roads
photo09.JPG

Not so new
photo10.JPG

Camping on the Darling River
photo11.JPG

Baja lights
photo12.JPG

EFS shocks love them
photo13.JPG

photo14.JPG

Thanks for putting those up,Jon.

We are now at a friends Station,The Nine Mile north of Broken Hill, got internet. Temperature heading for the mid 30s, but bloody thunderstorms due!! Could create several problems, one being we could get stranded depending where we are, the other is fire, as the outback has so much feed now, as it dries out a lightning strike can start a bush fire. One near Tibooburra where we are heading took out 100s of square KMs of grazing.

Its morning here now, going to town to Parks and Wildlife office to check forecast and road conditions for the next week or so,as we plan to leave this time tomorrow.( just cant drink as much XXXX gold as i did last night!!!!)

Hope you like the photos.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony - the pic's are brilliant :thumbup: Betsey is looking great, no wonder she's drawing attention where ever you go!

Thanks for keeping us updated, it's great to hear how your getting on, and I hope lady luck is on your side regarding the weather.

Safe travels.

Great pics Tony and glad you guys are having a blast. At least it's nice and warm there unlike here at the moment, although Scotland did have a fantastic weekend. Take care - and more pics!!

G'day Tony,

Excellent pics and write up. :thumbup: Many thanks for posting.

I think I can feel that travel bug itch acting up again :)

cheers

Reinhard

Thanks guys,

My little electrical hiccups happened again, seems to be the voltage regulator on the bulk head, pushing too many volts around the circuit, 17+,rather than around 14. Had regulator changed in Warwick, and all was fine, but a check through again today, looks like its stuffed again.
Hopefully get one tomorrow, if not wednesday, then she will be fit to go,the next 1100km of dirt to Adelaide.
Just need to get a thorough check in case its something else, but found a good auto elec so should be aok.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

Guys, its sort of frustrating, but thats life i guess. Had new regulator fitted, better, but still pushing 15.5 volts at times, so going to have all wiring checked around the alternator tomorrow, as alternator itself was recon last week, and seems fine. Hopefully a bit of dodgy old wiring,so renewing should sort it out.

Big storm heading into Tibooburra now, so will check road conditions tomorrow before we leave. Hopefully have truck ready before lunch and then off.

Keep you posted.

Latest update, ahhhhhhh

Ok new regulator on, still too high, checked all wiring, aok.

Checked reg working, it is, but now looks like the recon alternator isn't doing the job properly, so now awaiting a new one, so by tomorrow lunch time we will be off, hopefully.

On a lucky note however, if we had left yesterday, we would have been hit with a huge thunder and lightning storm,and 30mm of rain overnight, and woken to road closures, so better of here, though a bit of a pain having to wait another day. Still we are with friends, it's hot and we are still on holiday, so what will be,will be, as they say.

Still love the old girl, can't blame here at all, just frustrating as I thought I had her done properly the first time in Warwick.

Keep you posted,

Hi Tony, it's a shame that your having electrical issues, I hope it all starts going your way soon :pray: Still as you say, your in Oz, with friends and it's hot, so your doing a dam sight better than we are! Enjoy it as it'll be over in a flash.

Sounds like you'll be testing the waterproofness of your electrical circuits with the weather that your experiencing out there. Hope the water doesn't cause you too much trouble, good thing Betsy's got a snorkel fitted!

Safe travels.

Some more pics from Tony, from Silverton, the area that mad max 2 was filmed.

photo15.JPG

photo16.JPG

photo17.JPG

photo18.JPG

It must be a real hardship being stuck in such a horrible place Tony :lol:

OMG. Soo glad I have alternator trouble, the storm outside at the moment is huge, violent wind, rain, thunder and lightning, and black as night.

From tomorrow onwards, more settled, and should be good as new.

Someone is looking down on us, though I didnt think so a day or so ago!!!!

:pray:

Jon Wildsmith said:
It must be a real hardship being stuck in such a horrible place Tony :lol:

Ya, right.
I bet, the Waeco is full of frosty XXXX Gold’s too……..

Actually, yes, the XXXX gold is quite a good drop. Just done half a dozen, and a nice bottle of Barossa shiraz!!!!

Storm over,an inch of rain,gotta go sleep. :thumbup:

great pics Tony. :)

When i was over there, I liked triple X X, or 4 X depending on how you want to say it. but my favourite was Tooheys extra dry! definitely the best beer ive ever had! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

ben said:
great pics Tony. :)

When i was over there, I liked triple X X, or 4 X depending on how you want to say it. but my favourite was Tooheys extra dry! definitely the best beer ive ever had! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I quite liked a Pot of Powers, it always amazed me how they could get a glass of the amber nectar so cold in Australia without it being solid in the glass

Back