Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oz tour Oct,Nov,Dec,2011

Keep the glasses in the fridge, works well.

Moving into South Australia today, so Coopers will be my tipple, one I really enjoy, :thumbup:

Will be a week now till I can post again, with a few more pics and travel update.

Cheers,

Forgot to mention that last night we had 100km winds, thunder & lightning which caused two fires on the next station, and an inch of rain that caused the creeks to seriously start flowing.

Glad to be indoors, and not in the tent!!

More settled weather now, only 27 deg today.

till next time.....

Looks like an awesome trip. Pity about the little hiccups, but it adds to the adventure!

I am attending a good friends wedding in March next year, hoping my mates and I can organise a similar trip!

Can't wait!

More pics:

Final walk around Broken Hill
photo19.JPG

Roos everywhere
photo20.JPG

See for miles
photo21.JPG

photo22.JPG

Betsy below
photo23.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
More from Tony:

After leaving Broken Hill with a new alternator, all was cruising well, until that damn light, the red one came on again,tested, too many volts!!! Any way, now I disconnect the reg when it happens and carry on, the batteries last for days, but drive each day until it's comes on. Wiring fault somewhere,but it's not stopping us. Any ideas?.

So a good run north from Yunta, took us upto Martins Well,good dirt but the heavy rains at the start of the week show the reality of how much they had. (the road we were planning to be on from Tibooburra is still closed into the Flinders). We are now a bit more orange/red than the other day, these 40s really throw it over the bonnet, but nowhere getting close to bogged.

Having done some serious KMs on dirt now, I do love the suspension set up, the front EFS shocks just soak it up, and the rear air bags are excellent. Make the leafy handling pretty good for nearly 28 years old!

Just to make life easier we camped at Wilpena pound, went for a good walk, and had a swim before cooking supper. Coolish nights at the moment, and friggin crows early morning don't go down well!!! A steady start then a good drive to Chambers gorge, great bit of off road driving, and amazing scenery. Tonight we are at the Parachilna hotel, a great outback pub,great food, and a few beers,oh, and a couple of reds to wash down the feral mixed grill, a combination of Roo steak, emu sausage and goat. Very well received, as was Becky's goat curry. So along with a hotel comes the Internet ,amazing as we are along way from most places, so my five quid gives you photos, well hopefully if they go when I finish this.

Tomorrow is hopefully another good day, upto Warraweena, where there is a 4 wd track up Mt Gill, one of the highest peaks in the Flinders, so hopefully great views and pics from there. Heading to Adelaide for wednesday, but will keep you posted with hopefully good pictures. Strangely they are all of Betsy, am I a little strange, or is that what you would like!!!!!

Cheers for now,

Tony and Becky.

photo24.JPG

photo25.JPG

photo26.JPG

photo27.JPG

photo28.JPG

photo29.JPG

photo30.JPG

photo31.JPG

photo32.JPG

photo33.JPG

photo34.JPG

photo35.JPG

photo36.JPG

Lunch time
photo37.JPG

Update:

So,what a great day, temperature in mid thirties, cool breeze blowing, cloudless skies. We arrived at Warraweena to be met by Stony, the Swiss Australian fella with a touch of irish in his accent. Great chap and very helpful,pointed us is the direction of the Mt Gill track. Having seen Betsy he was happy for us to continue, think some of the folks turn up in new shinies,and low profile tyres.

The track is rough, generally following a creek bed,and after the storms earlier in the week,it's a little washed out in places. Equipped with a chain,lent by Stony, we set off, with the knowledge we might not get all the way through,but had the chain in case it helped pull any fallen trees out of the way.

Warraweena itself is about 35 km off the bitumen, not too far really, although that itself takes a while, not the smoothest of dirt roads. To then leave for the track heading further away, you do get the feeling of remoteness, even more so as the track in places gets somewhat hairy, and airy under Betsy's front wheels!!!!! Incredibly sure footed, we progress in low first or second, Just ticking along, especially as this is our first real test off road.

For the night we have been allowed to camp at Cockatoo hut, a simple corrugated shed,with a veranda for some nice evening shade. However nice a hut is, our tent is cleaner, and bug free,so that is were will sleep.

Now most of you know Becky, certainly anyone who has been to Lincomb does, and this track I couldnt have done without her. Top job spotting me through,and also some pics along the way. The fact also that we are quite remote, in an old truck doesn't faze her either, or she has a lot of faith in me!! The other reason there is a quiet feeling in the area, is it's just us. Stony closes it all down in the next few weeks as it gets too hot in summer, and no one comes up. The other reason is it's fire season, and it's best to keep out.

Sitting on the veranda, birds chirping , goats grazing,lots of goats, and Roos quietly munching near by,and not a human noise anywhere. Quite nice really, and a waeco with supper and plenty of cold beers.

Tomorrow should be another great day, the climb itself is pretty steep, over rock and shale,upto 914m above sea level, quite high for these parts, so I am expecting awesome views. We first have to continue along the creek bed, though we have walked the first km, and looks ok.

Continued:

Wow, totally spectacular. Not sure when spectacular started really, but last night watching the night sky, millions of stars on a cloudless night,in the tent with no fly sheet, shooting stars and satellites, and not a sound to be heard, apart from the two cockatoos in the tree above, randomly straining their vocal cords!

Sunrise appeared, and the temperature started to rise,so an early start.37deg due. Breakfast and a quick decamp,set us on our way. The next part of the track/ creek was unchecked so we weren't sure what we would find. Apart from moving the odd branch, and deep wash out, not much, so we progressed steadily in low second.

Then we came to the climb out and up to the top of Mt Gill, long,slow rough and steep. There was the occasional shreek,and eyes closing from Becky,but we made it. Stunning views, exceptional day.

The return was equally slow, but my old Betsy was actually superb,and did surprise me,with how able the old girl is. Incredibly sure footed, and plenty of grunt when needed. We talked to Stoney on the way down, on the UHF , to say all was ok. Hard to understand his response but I am sure it was something like "see you soon, great to know all is well, your truck is awesome.......!!!!"

So we made it, a track I will do again, along with a longer stay in the park, to explore the numerous other tracks. Anyone want to join me?.

Now we are in the southern Flinders, Quorn, just two more nights under canvas before Adelaide, and catching up with friends.

Just need wifi to send this.

Hope all is well with you all back home, we are half way through, aaaarrrgggghhhh!!!!

Keep you posted.

Cheers, Tony.

photo51.JPG

photo38.JPG

photo39.JPG

photo40.JPG

photo41.JPG

photo42.JPG

On top of Mt Gill
photo43.JPG

photo44.JPG

photo45.JPG

photo46.JPG

photo47.JPG

had to walk for these
photo48.JPG

photo50.JPG

Tony, thanks for the update. Its great to see that your having such an adventure, the scenery is amazing, so remote. That's one of the things that I really enjoy about our 4x4's, they enable us to get to remote areas that so many people will never see. I'm sure you and Becky lapping up the remoteness of your travels, its such a rarely achieved quality these days.

The Mt Gill pics sure look like they have given you guys a good work out to get the summit, but that's what gives you even more of a sense of achievement. I'm glad that Betsy is proving very capable in the rough stuff.....well...it is a Toyota after all!

I had a quick look at the map, and you've covered a fair bit of ground already, very impressive!

TonyS said:
.....a track I will do again, along with a longer stay in the park, to explore the numerous other tracks. Anyone want to join me?
In a word, YES!!

Keep the updates coming, its great knowing how you guys are getting on :thumbup:

Safe travels.

I am really enjoying these updates. It makes me look fwd to our trip EVEN MORE! :)

Hi guys,

Had a bit of time out this last weekend, horse trials and catching up with friends in Adelaide, so no major travel going on.
Staying with friends now at Victor Harbor for a couple of days, then we head towards Melbourne for another friends horse trials, and they need a helping hand.

Will keep you posted, and send any pics worthy.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

How do I get a club car sticker, meant to ask ages ago, but I think Betsy needs one.

I will cover costs on my return, but if one can come out ASAP to,

Me at
PO Box 80
Victor Harbor
South Australia

If not, no worries, will bring one out in feb, did I mention that, gotta help friends get an event ready.
Then might head back to Warraweena, :thumbup:

Many thanks,

Tony.

So, we are now with friends just outside Ballarat, a steady 8 hour drive down in the old girl.

Not a bad drive, straight pretty much, but I always get the sodding head wind, no matter whether I am heading N S E or West, and doesn't it ever blow down here. We put the boot down a bit too, tried to get as close to 100 kmh as possible, and bless her she did just fine, though sucked considerably more fuel, but that damn wind didn't help either.

Got me thinking, maybe I need to get her blown or injected! Diesel gas injection is a positive thing here, but not much of it at home, though it can be done ,I think. Check out www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au.
Otherwise a turbo and go to 33s instead of her current 31s. Might just make her that bit more drivable on long distance, and hopefully not lose the great low first, rock crawl mode!

Gotta cross town tomorrow, melbourne, to go help different friends with their horse trials this weekend, then a trip back to adelaide on Monday, but will go more slowly and do some camping in the Grampians on the way and take a few days.

One other thing apart from the damn wind today, is Australians can't overtake! Roads are straight for miles, no bugger on them, and they sit on your a**e until they can see to the horizon,before attempting to go, and if a car appears three miles away and coming our way they pull back in, and sit on your tail again! Pretty damn annoying. :?

Anyway, should get some pics up next week,

Cheers, :thumbup:

Hi Tony,

good to hear things are going well.

I spent sometime in Oz as a kid and we used to visit the mines heritage park in Ballarat :thumbup: - pretty interesting place. Used to go panning for gold there, not that we found any :(

Yes, there are lots of long straight roads there. Still have a thing for roads that disappear into the horizon. :)

Reinhard

Nice report Tony. Jealous :violin:

I'll bring down a few stickers tomorrow for you. Ticket (1st class) confirmed for tomorrow night. You still ok to cover the costs? Ok, thanks :dance: See you soon.

Regarding the diesel / gas thing - I've done some checks into it and it's too expensive here for the gains. :(

Great, thanks, Crispin.

Not got a price here yet, but going to check it out. Interested in knowing the pros and cons.

Cheers

hope your still having fun out there Tony. :thumbup:

just found this video on youtube, and it reminded me of this thread, with your pics of milo. :)

[youtube:5wm4wujg]xwbKtUD0qIQ[/youtube:5wm4wujg]

Nice one , Ben,

Was trying to go to tassie, but short on time now. Will do it sometime though, talking about it with a few friends yesterday. Maybe next year!

The diesel gas system here, fitted, about $4000!!! Think I will leave that one. Would increase performance, and economy by over 20% though.

It's cold and wet in Victoria, over two inches of rain in last 24 hours and still coming! Joy. :(

Cheers,

Guys, it's all over, back home now. We left Betsy in Adelaide getting a few jobs done, but she is in top form.

We dropped her off, and hired a car to get us back to Melbourne. Aiming to go back in February and help friends with two events out there, so will fit in a little trip back to Warraweena for a week in between.

Going to get power steering fitted, but hard to find, even out there. Any info on a unit much appreciated, for HJ or can modify an FJ.

Cheers,

Back