Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pesky plastic bonnet fire blanket clip things

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
If you've no idea what this means then you've clearly never tried to get the fire blanket off the inside of your bonnet. I know I have and I've never, not once, got a clip out without breaking it. Well look what I found on The Bay. I bought a couple of packets. I'll give them a try and report back.

Handy to be able to remove the blanket for rust proofing application, repairs, cutting holes for scoops or just to get to and replace old hardened washer just pipes. They feel good quality. Let's see if they work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371448115619

What a coincidence, i ordered the very same thing yesterday evening after trying to unblock my washer jets, snapped two of the four clips so ordered some more. washer jets are better but not brilliant. Stuck it on the nozzle of the viakal squirty bottle and it shot up my bathroom ceiling, stuck it back on the pipe and one squirts one dribbles. Ps. it shoots out the pipe ok without the jet attached.

I've found that the pipes go hard and often there's a kink in them somewhere that's sort of set. It reduces the pressure so much that jets don't work. I replaced some of mine with silicone hose which doesn't kink. Cheap fix.

I tried this many moons ago. I ended up cutting holes in the blanket. The press fit stud button thingies are indeed a right git (read 'impossible') to remove.

I'll have a better look when the new clips come, i didn't want to take too many out, guessing they'd snap. I removed enough so that i could get my arm in. Cheers for the tip Chris :)

I tried this many moons ago. I ended up cutting holes in the blanket. The press fit stud button thingies are indeed a right git (read 'impossible') to remove.
I did alright then, 2 out of 4 broke.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think I still have the replacements from Mr T. Gold infused plastic of course.

Well you have to consider that these hold the fire blanket in and of course not being OEM they will undoubtedly cause the engine bay to catch fire spontaneously .....

Just before someone else says it.

They're plastic so use a hair dryer on them and they'll come out much easier usually without breakage. If they do break some car spares shops have them. I got some from a local place last year.

Just as an update, they pop in with a satisfying "click" too
Old one
IMG_6914.JPG
New one
IMG_6915.JPG

Nice one Nick. Not had chance to try mine yet. You can see why they're a bugger to get out can't you.

Why are people calling the sound insulator a fire blanket? I used very large diameter galvanized washers and self tappers on my insulator.

Because that's what it is Frank. It's fire resistant sound insulation.

But what's your point? I can call it my snuggle blanket if I like. It's the clips we're discussing Frank not the blanket. Try to keep up there's a good chap.

If you've no idea what this means then you've clearly never tried to get the fire blanket off the inside of your bonnet. I know I have and I've never, not once, got a clip out without breaking it. Well look what I found on The Bay. I bought a couple of packets. I'll give them a try and report back.

Handy to be able to remove the blanket for rust proofing application, repairs, cutting holes for scoops or just to get to and replace old hardened washer just pipes. They feel good quality. Let's see if they work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371448115619

Is there room under there for some 4mm dyanmat and then some 10mm foam (just in the flat sections bteween the bracing) do you think and still allowing the OEM insulation to go back in place ?

There's quite a bit of room yes. The braces are quite deep creating those pockets. Whether you could squash all that lot in I am not sure. Probably. But two things - why? Not sure it's a great source of noise into the cabin compared to all the other routes

And you might need new bonnet gas struts with the extra weight. They get tired and when you add more weight they can struggle. I have the heavy bonnet cover thing on the outside and my new struts cope easily.

I took mine out and glued panel deadener to reduce the sound even more than the insulator. The bonnet is now very heavy but the gas struts hold it open. It did a little bit to deaden sound but not much. Most of the noise on the standard 80 is intake noise. I recently glued panel deadener to the outside of the air filter box and that made a big difference even though the air filter box has the resonator on top thanks to Karl.

P.S. # Chris. I'm ahead by a long way Chris by using screws and large diameter washers 10 years or more ago. No they have not rattled loose. lol.

Back