Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pesky plastic bonnet fire blanket clip things

Eeeh, you do say some funny things Frank. I can't say that I am convinced that replacing the factory plastic clips with screws and washers puts you a long way ahead. What the logic behind that? Do you constantly take the lining off for some reason?

I don't get intake noise on any of mine. The resonator box mod only works with the EGRs which only work on over run or idle; we've had that debate already. I don't even really get noise from my snorkel top to be honest. Most of my noise comes from the transmission tunnel / footwell area. Which is why I have put insulation there. Now that HAS made a difference

I took mine out and glued panel deadener to reduce the sound even more than the insulator. The bonnet is now very heavy but the gas struts hold it open. It did a little bit to deaden sound but not much. Most of the noise on the standard 80 is intake noise. I recently glued panel deadener to the outside of the air filter box and that made a big difference even though the air filter box has the resonator on top thanks to Karl.

P.S. # Chris. I'm ahead by a long way Chris by using screws and large diameter washers 10 years or more ago. No they have not rattled loose. lol.

I think it may have been your soundproofing post i looked at Frank. I think the bracing probably takes up most of the job the deadening is supposed to do Chris, but ill try the airbox thing Frank mentioned.
Once again i'm back but have really limited time to do anything with the truck,:disappointed: probably get away with making templates for a transfer box guard , finish the front bumper and a winch mounting plate.

. Most of the noise on the standard 80 is intake noise.

I'm also intrigued by the notion of intake noise from the airbox. I have road noise, wind noise, mechanical noise and some from the 3" exhaust but no intake noise, none. I have removed the EGR valves for other reasons but it made no difference to noise from the engine bay, save for an occasional click from them when they operated.

We're straying away from bonnet clips a bit here but hey ..

We rather smashed it to bits in a previous thread but when I had EGRs and a regular airbox, at idle I could hear a sort of drumming, thrubbing noise. As soon as the EGRs closed, it stopped. I mean you could do this at will like playing a tune. Listening closely, it sounded like combustion noise coming back through the induction system when the EGRs were open. Given that the EGRs open a passage to burn exhaust gases in the cylinders, this isn't exactly controversial. When they close the passage is shut and the noise stops. It's easy to replicate.

The altered airbox came in after EGRs were first fitted. It's my supposition that Toyota made the alteration in response to this being noticed. I can only hear it with the bonnet up. I say can, I mean could as I removed the EGRs. This made no difference at all. Other than to get rid of the thrubbing noise for good.

The EGR valves only operate at idle or on the over run so I don't know how removing them improves performance unless they're jammed open of course. Driving along they should be closed so shouldn't be contributing to any induction noise. Not that I have any as I said.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Kettle's on any time you're passing.

Cheers Chris :)
Heading down to Bristol and then to London to see Harry Potter in the West end. If I'm nearby by ill nip down to drink tea and steal ideas. It'll infuriate SWMBO if i work on the car, but drinking tea and chatting isn't actually working so i may get away with it.

Back