Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol or Diesel???

Dave I don't dispute your figures for one moment but I am saying that I think you are in a minority. We've had many a thread about mpg from the 4.2 and getting 30 from one is unicorn territory. I don't think that the factory brochure even claimed that. Describing the economy of an 80 as great is a bit of a stretch or most of us

I know of people in an std 80 who have actually hit even more than that but it's not the norm, trust me. Even the 120 series 3.0 struggles to do more than 28.

Great thing about the 80 is that it does also have a bottom ceiling too. You are pretty much guaranteed not to get less than ... sort of thing. I towed my Metalian trailer around the Baltic and through the Pyranees and the Alps and still got 17 mpg. That made the set up well over 4 tonnes.

But let's not get side tracked here. Petrol engined 80's are still more viable than people might think.

If you got 17 mpg with a trailer with an all up weight of 4 ton through mountains then surely when not loaded you would get more than the 18/19 you mentioned earlier? Surely just a stock 80 with no trailer weighing in at the minimum 1.5 tones less would see a great gain than 1 or 2 mpg? So I am a little confused?

I actually run my numbers on my service schedule/thread on MUD for a number of years, and it was a regular thing to do until I got fed up checking it with each result being similar to the previous. And without wishing to blow my own whistle, but perhaps apart from my environment and careful sedate driving manner, it is because the tune of my engine is kept spot on, and maintained meticulously with regular filter changes etc?

I would add my AC is on most of the time as well even during winter which makes my numbers great IMO.

Anyway, given the choice of vehicles I would concentrate on condition and possible future use before fuel type came into the equation.

regards

Dave

I get 21 / 22 mpg out of mine using normal supermarket diesel and around 24 / 25 mpg using Shell V-Power. This is generally unloaded and with a reasonably gentle right foot. As a result I tend to feed mine V-Power as it's about the same £ per mile and I like treating it.

Working on a petrol vehicle always makes me a bit nervous from a setting on fire perspective although I've yet to do it.

Petrol's always seem a good buy compared with diesels.

I get 21 / 22 mpg out of mine using normal supermarket diesel and around 24 / 25 mpg using Shell V-Power. This is generally unloaded and with a reasonably gentle right foot. As a result I tend to feed mine V-Power as it's about the same £ per mile and I like treating it.

Working on a petrol vehicle always makes me a bit nervous from a setting on fire perspective although I've yet to do it.

I know what you mean. Petrol isn't a nice fuel to store/carry about.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Depends on how far you have to drive it.... The seller says he will put 12months MOT on it, (for the asking price).... You could take up his offer, Or just drive it home if the seller turns a blind eye.... Seems a decent enough Truck for the money...... Prices for petrol and Diesel are all over the place at the moment.. I think someone will have it 'Sharpish'if you don't.....

They have changed the listing since I messaged them as now says they will put a fresh mot on it. Before he said if not sold first Time they will mot it and clean it up for sale then put it up for £6,995

Not sure about the lpg, would that put you guys off?

Original listing says that they will MOT it for the asking price.. Ah! well... Nearly 7 grand doesn't seem so appealing... Finding one without LPG would be my Preference .... Yet finding one with a Diesel in it would be a bigger Preference.... Its just my Opinion mate, Diesel every time for me....

You can always remove it or simply not use it. That's a cracking looking 80 for very little money. Well that is if the listing is still true at £3995. At nearly £8k, no.

Listing on ebay still says £3995.... So challenge them if your still interested.... Just take it with no MOT..... And like Chris says remove the LPG system...

Original listing says that they will MOT it for the asking price.. Ah! well... Nearly 7 grand doesn't seem so appealing... Finding one without LPG would be my Preference .... Yet finding one with a Diesel in it would be a bigger Preference.... Its just my Opinion mate, Diesel every time for me....

It was the original listing that said nearly 7k. I messaged them yesterday and now its changed so 4k with an mot isn't bad.

I have been reading the lpg kit can damage the engine so if it's done a lot of the 265,000 miles on the lpg should I expect trouble more so than one without the lpg?

Im sure a petrol owner will answer that one Mate.. You hear all sorts of stories, But im sure others running the LPG system have had no trouble at all.... Good luck mate, At that price it seems pretty Reasonable, If its as good as he says underneath etc etc.... You could spend the rest of your life looking for the Perfect one ( It doesn't Exist) :lol:

It was the other way around many years ago with diesel being about a third of petrol, that was until the government persuaded millions to 'go diesel'. Then they simply loaded on the tax and ripped everyone off!

And of course they now want you to get rid of your diesels!! :rage:

Regards

Dave

What are your feelings on the 100 series I've found a nice V8 that looks in decent condition.

They all have a Toyota Landcruiser badge on them.

I was going to suggest the 4.7 V8.. But didnt want to complicate things.. There are a few out there on ebay. A more refined Engine im sure, than the 4.5.... Im sure the Petrol owners will know better...

I think if I was not going to go off roading anymore, or perhaps more accurately for extended periods of time or isolated areas, then I would love a V8 as a retired persons run-around.

Not just for the engine, the whole package is so smooth and refined........oh gawd...I am getting old! :character-oldtimer:

regards

Dave

Last edited:
For info on owning a petrol LC I’d suggest a browse of ih8mud would be time well spent. All issues, strengths and weaknesses are well known and documented, most with the required fixes or workarounds. They never got the diesel 80 in the US so all their experience is of the petrol and that includes off-roading, rock-crawling, overlanding and ‘expeditions’.

That's not a bad looking 80, the lpg can be an issue and wear the valve seats, more if it has no lubrication system I do believe.

It's got to be worth a look at and see what the underside is like, see how it drives etc.

Back