Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

pitman arm ball joint just snapped..

The thing that bothers me, especially as this bar is meant to take extra stresses, is that the extra length gives a turning force on the pitman arm and potentially the other end too (not sure of the setup there). This could potentially cause stress fractures and failure of the pitman arm as the wheels hit bumps etc. The longer taper shaft having greater leverage as Mblinko has said.

All OEM ball joints (TMK) sit close to the next member i.e. in this case with as little distance between the Pitman arm and the tie rod as possible.

Not a good photo, but OEM ball joint at the Pitman arm on my 80...

image.jpeg

@ Mark, the thickness/size of the threads/bar/ends, is quite substantial, checkout the picture below.

3.jpg

@ Shane, I think if there is corrosion then regardless of the length of taper, with the power steering 'disguising' the load the driver would simply continuing turning and something would give somewhere.

@ Starcruiser, The fact will remain that if a component bends or breaks and you make it stronger you simply move the forces to another component. The drag link has been identified as a weakness, not only with Mike and Clive's breakages but also the first thing to hit a big rock in long grass for example, so there is a strong market for them. The next breakage point according to my research is the 4 studs at the bottom of the swivels on each side, so they sell a 6 bolt version, then comes the pitman arm, and it continues, I went OTT to satisfy my 'OE or better' policy, and TBH if this product never had the greasable joints and along with my trade discount, I would have gone OE.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Just returned from a 150 mile round trip, all at 'autovia' speeds, checks email upon arriving home to find a 'do not use car' message from the drag link supplier! I am unsure what has happened since I sent the first one back along with my old OE drag link. We are waiting on a reply from his supplier to confirm the TRE protrusion is correct, so watch this space.

Don't you pissing well hate it when you want to 'do the right thing', I cannot afford to throw money at the car on a whim but, the drag link failures worried me so I went for the best 'money no object' version I could find and.................:icon-twisted:

regards

Dave

I recon they made a boo boo and the penny has just dropped.

You'll get your 80 arm in the next delivery. Shall we place some bets on this lads?

I recon they made a boo boo and the penny has just dropped.

You'll get your 80 arm in the next delivery. Shall we place some bets on this lads?

I hope not Clive, the drag link has been on an off so many times I only have to whistle and it will jump out! Bar (no pun intended) the long tapers it all looks good, but for now she is parked up'

I will of course update as and when.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hope you get it sorted soon Dave you might even get it for nothing after all this as a good will gesture!!!

Hope you get it sorted soon Dave you might even get it for nothing after all this as a good will gesture!!!

Probably more chance of burning my arse on a snowball!! :icon-biggrin:

I am actively searching for information on these drag links and have see this on a site in Oz,

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au...40-80-105-TR4220COMP-Toyota-Land-Cruiser.html

If you look at the TRE picture it does indeed have the elongated boot, then the gap for the steering joint and then the castellated nut, this mirror's my fitment. I have seen other pictures of the Chromoly 4140 and they all look the same as mine. At the moment with the jury out I will leave the car parked up, hate to think I am driving something less safe than the OE fitment, this is the complete reverse of my bigger/stronger thinking plans for the car.

Get back to all asap.

EDIT: That picture may look like the one fitted to my car but, it must be a generic picture of something fitted to another vehicle, as it is may not be the correct one for an 80 as the one fitted to mine is wrong......again.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Looking at that product it looks like they offer the guarantee on the bar. The TRE is the weak point and strength is governed by the diameter of the taper, the neck CSA, and its length. To get more strength it would need bigger tapers, bigger holes in the arms (I.e. new arms) then as said earlier by others upstream upgrades to the next most over-engineered piece. Theoretically speaking when upgrading the TRE on the pitman arm, the tie rod TRE should also be done as forces are transferred there.

if it were me, I'd upgrade the pitman bar and replace the 4 TRE with genuine. JMHO .... :icon-biggrin:

Just been contacted by the supplier and they confirm the bars (x2) sent do indeed have the wrong TRE's. The excessive length despite the thicker body of the taper may compromise strength of the taper (as per Clive's thoughts) where it enters the arms, it has been withdrawn from sale. It has been explained I was the first customer to get this model from a new batch and they are waiting for replacements.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Just been contacted by the supplier and they confirm the bars (x2) sent do indeed have the wrong TRE's. The excessive length despite the thicker body of the taper may compromise strength of the taper (as per Clive's thoughts) where it enters the arms, it has been withdrawn from sale. It has been explained I was the first customer to get this model from a new batch and they are waiting for replacements. regards Dave

Its heartening that they contacted you Dave, and didn't just wait for your further complaints.

I recon they'll try to do the right thing, in this case, and some compensation would not be unreasonable. First, they have to send you the correct part, which they acknowledge they have not yet done.

Its heartening that they contacted you Dave, and didn't just wait for your further complaints.

I recon they'll try to do the right thing, in this case, and some compensation would not be unreasonable. First, they have to send you the correct part, which they acknowledge they have not yet done.

Just had another email from them and there is a compensation package that has been offered (not requested by me) which if it happens will certainly make the grief worthwhile.

Get back to you,

regards

Dave

Just had another email from them and there is a compensation package that has been offered (not requested by me) which if it happens will certainly make the grief worthwhile. Get back to you, regards
Dave

Sounds interesting, will that be in addition to receiving the correct TREs?

Yes mate, a complete new bar with the correct TRE's. Their alternative heavy duty bar has arrived for temporary fitment, but I am a bit under the weather at the moment, so have not been down to village to collect it. Should be good by the morning so will get it then.

regards

Dave

Today finally saw me get the 'temporary' medium duty drag link fitted, car washed and ready for a trip to Murcia tonight. The difference's between this and the OE unit are apart from the thicker bar, there are lock or 'jam' nuts which have alternative threads on the bar instead of clamps, and are certainly large enough to be up to the job. The TRE's look slightly 'beefier' than the OE unit but, this may be wishful thinking and is based on my memory..............before the old bar was sent to........now........just where did I send it? :icon-biggrin:

So, just waiting on the replacement H/D bar and TRE's, at least 'she' is mobile again.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
So, when you receive the HD bar, you'll have a spare MD bar to go in stock, correct?

Replaced my two front ones yesterday as one felt a little tired. Got them from weastcoast. See how we get on with them.

Back