Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Preparedness???????

Zombies are tricky... I prefer a decent bull bar, you can get two or three in one pass

but the guy at the car wash gets grumpy as the bits block the drains !

20120624-153501.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Gary - Glocks are the work of the devil, but remember we are talking about the very real threat of Zombies here. I think that on balance .22 might be the best overall. They only need a single tap to the head to put them down you know.

Your forgetting the double tap rule !!

One of the more interesting weapons is the chainsaw and frying pan for close combat, so we need to add that to the list. I suppose a maglight would work as well, its all about maximising the usability of all the kit you take with you.
The problem with the chainsaw is....involuntary ingestion of foul and disgusting contaminated zombie matter and we all know where that leads !!!!

Pete we're just being prepared that's all. I guess living where you are you might not actually spot a zombie appocsolipse quite so easily?
Some say it's already happened

Arf arf

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats a crazy amount of gear Warren. :shock:

Just spotted this on another forum and it made me think of this thread. :icon-cool:

zombiemog600x450_zps07adc3cd.jpg

Great thread lol. Can see me fitting in here, keep telling the missus all the zombie movies are for training purposes lol.

Btw that's my mate's mog ;-)

After extensive research...
It looks like the Otokar Cobra is the proper upgrade..
http://www.otokar.com
otokar-cobra-gear-patrol.jpg

Although Hyundai have an alternative with a 100k 0r 7 year warranty

Hyundai-Elantra-Coupe-Zombie-Survival-Edition.jpg

I didn't realize that new housing estate you have to drive through now, was that bad Andrew :icon-cool:

Maybe it's my military background, but I like to take a layered approach to my preparations. I figure the better prepared you are the further you can go, and the further away from civilization you can travel. Look at vehicle mobile and foot mobile. There is a huge difference (literally) in what you can carry on your back and what a truck can carry, but you are likely to both drive and walk. If you are truly prepared then you can leave your vehicle and walk to safety - why? just in case of an unrepairable mechanical failure outside of range of communication. The no-comm plan. Good communication is necessary, but it can and will fail - even sat phones. Water, food, and shelter are most important, fire, communication, first aid, and then the ability to repair your gear. I always carry a survival kit of the basic essentials for survival. These items can vary a bit depending on your environment, but there are tricks to getting by sometimes - for example, if you didn't take the time to learn about local vegetation then you can do the edible plant test - avoid plants with milky sap or hairy appearance. Rub a small piece on the inside of your forearm and wait 30 minutes. If no rash take a small piece and chew it and spit it out. Wait 30 minutes, if not sick then take a small piece and eat it - wait 30 minutes if not sick then consume with caution as you may not have reached the right dose to effect your body. Carry a water collection device and the ability to transport water. A good knife with a locking blade (two locks rather than one) or a fixed blade knife - large enough to cut small pieces of wood or branches (so a little weight), but still legal and easily carried. Food - fishing line and hooks and good knowledge of snares and deadfalls. Get a small copy of say, The SAS Survival Manual, and carry it as well. Fire - get one of the striking flints made now. You can start a fire with little skill with one of those, but practice a bit first. Dress appropriately for the environment, bring good shoes if you plan to wander off the path, and a sewing kit to repair your clothing. Learn to make shelter or pack a poncho or thermal blanket in your kit. This should all easily fit into a small pouch or container that you can carry on your body. Now that you have this stuff look at your vehicle. Food, and water are still a priority, but now you have various methods of carrying it. You can get the ready to eat meals for an emergency and just have one or two somewhere, then get a fridge or cooler so you can hold food for longer periods and keep it fresh. Carry a large water container - depends on where and how long. 4 quarts at a quart per hour - you should be drinking two sips of water every 15 minutes. You can survive on less, but since you aren't carrying the water you might as well have enough. 5 gallon water jugs are good, nalgene bottle, 1.5 liter bottles in the fridge, a mol can in the floor or a 50l on the roof. I can tell you that it isn't necessarily true that you'll need a lot more water in the dry desert or humid jungles than you'll need in a cold place, but on average just sitting around that is true. You will sweat a lot more and lose water rapidly in the heat, but if you are working hard in the cold you will also dehydrate quickly, especially if you are not staying warm. Bring a fishing pole and tackle box if there is nearby water. fishing is always an easy way of getting some food and water if you need it. You can cut the fish open and drink the water from it's body to pools up, or just eat it. The truck, if you rally want o be self-sufficient should have at least a front winch that will pull a minimum of 1.5 times your fully loaded vehicle, but to really get out of a mess you'll probably have to double the line with your snatch block. If you have a stronger winch then you'll be good. Seemingly way overkill, but we had 24000 lbs winches on our G-Wagons. No need to worry about enough power there, but you can use the winch for other things than just getting unstuck (pulling things down or out of the way, logs to crevices and deep waters/channels/wadis, etc). Fuel and fuel capacity. Extended range tanks are nice but need protection. If you bust a hole in one you basically lose all of you extra fuel. IF you put them in jerry cans it is more work, but fuel of varying qualities can be separated and you can filter it as it goes in. You can also filter fuel into a large reserve, but having more fuel means you can go further. You'll have to understand how the extra weight will effect your vehicle performance. Spare tires came in more handy than any other gear (besides heavy guns) that I have carried on a truck. We argued over run-flats because of their weight and decided on regular beadlock tires. We had to change flats a few times, but practicing with your gear makes it an easier task. Spare wheels can also be used to anchor the winch in soft sand or mud if there is no tree or stump available, and a rimless spare can be lashed to the front a a bullbar of sorts allowing you to ram other vehicles with no damage to your own front end. The High-lift jack is an obvious one as it can be used to jack for tire changes, and to get wheels out of ruts, shift the tire patch to a nearby rock or other surface, as a come-along, etc. Spare fuel filters or a pen that can be used to bypass the fuel filter if you really need to get moving right this minute. Snatch straps are also necessary, and if you travel with a buddy you can rig one to the front and one to the rear then wrap them around and hang them with a clevice to the mirror Then your buddy can drive by and hand you his through the window and you attach it to yours - his rear to your front and just keep riving and no one has to get out to rig up for the tow. You can spend the money for a tent or sleep in the truck or on the ground. If I were in Africa - having slept on the ground there at Sevuti I can say I personally prefer a night in a RTT as far as anxiety goes. Though things usually leave you alone I almost got stepped on by an elephant and had hyena cackling 10m outside the tent at night. An axe is good for cutting firewood and also cutting trees and branches out of the way. A compressor to inflate your tires when you get out of sand, etc. We had systems under the hood controlled from the cab, you could inflate and deflate the tires as you went, but I don't think that is necessary unless you plan on doing weapons runs in Sudan or something. Straps to tie down gear so your head doesn't get smashed or you don't lose it. A spade so you can dig yourself out. I don't know. I'm still trying to make the transition to normal life, so I may be overdoing it here, but I must say I felt quite comfortable and confident knowing we had all of this stuff, and you can purchase items of high technological design to cut down on the weight. In addition to all of this we carried M@ .50 cals with extra barrels, 240G with extra barrels, M19, M4s, ammunition, packs, rucks (bergens for you Brits), optics, radios and not much else. I never had a problem getting anywhere, including up crevices in the sides of cliffs. I found that more important than the gear was knowing how to drive the truck in what conditions, understanding the tire patch, picking a good line or route, understanding approach angles, and knowing when to stop and think rather than just gunning and going for it (there is a time for that as well).

For absolute security off road strap a dirt bike on your truck - it can outrun zombies and if it gets stuck you can just pick it up and move it .

For absolute security off road strap a dirt bike on your truck - it can outrun zombies and if it gets stuck you can just pick it up and move it .
:thumbup: :lol:

Thats a crazy amount of gear Warren. :shock:

Just spotted this on another forum and it made me think of this thread. :icon-cool:

zombiemog600x450_zps07adc3cd.jpg

I love Unimogs, must get one one day, but there are some other tempting 4x4 lorrys out there too!

I believe in preparedness and being equipped but after doing two weeks in the Rub Al Khali (Empty Quarter) in Saudi Arabia I must say that I had less than a third of all that gear and still managed.

Preparedness is open to each individuals interpretation and it is really interesting to see what others stow in their vehicles on the day to day use and then for the long expeditions.
I am sure sure that there are also seasonal permiatations of vehicle equipment as I don't believe that people drive all summer long with a snow shovel and tire chains.

The question I want to ask now, is it then not a practical consideration to then look at off road trailers that are prepared as opposed to lugging ALL your gear round daily especially considering the weight that all your gear amounts to.

Would like to hear your view and opinions.

If I had room to store a kitted out trailer that's just what I would do, I've got a large-ish garage but not big enough for a trailer as well as an 80 and swimbo's Merc

Back