Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

One of those where you've got lots to but not sure where to start?
Got a month off when little un arrives and I'm allowed some time in the garage :icon-biggrin: not lots to do but need to make most of it.

Were those seals right size for ac pipes?

I think so mate. It's hard to say. They didn't look quite the same dimensions but then they were 20 years old. They fitted and pushed in nice. I need to get pressured up to see. I have high confidence that it won't leak this time.

Cheers :thumbup:

Nope. Went and fitted new lighting to the workshop. Oh boy what a difference. I can even see under the bonnet. Originally it had a single fluorescent tube. Well worth doing. Also had another drive and I am feeling more confident about the new box. It's all a slightly nervous time when you stick a major part in like that especially when you have no idea where it came from.

Replaced the LSV today and the main brake lines front to rear.

What an absolute ***ing *****d of a ****g job that was. Brakes need a final bleed through with my new vacuum bleeder which works pretty well I have to say. Thanks to Simon for getting me the brake lines and thanks to UPS for making them a completely different shape by the time they finally arrived.

LSV was an utter twat. Old one seem knackered. So I pulled out a spare. Couldn't get it off the bracket so tidied it up and decided to mount the whole thing in one. Then couldn't get the old one off the bracket either, nor could I get the bracket off the damn car. Well you can guess the afternoon I had. Well it's got one bolt in it. I shall have to get it home on the drive and hit it with the welder and anything else I can think of.

Rear bleed nipples were blocked solid. No wonder they wouldn't bleed. All sorts of crap came out. I don't think the rear brakes have really been working recently. Going to stop like a race car when I get this done. Taking the LSV to bits was interesting. Doesn't work quite like I thought it did.

Well another good day working on the truck. Look it's back on its wheel and it has brakes. Nice new lines front to back. Still need a little more work but as I have new nipples coming there's not much point bleeding right through only to have to go in again. The vacuum bleeder certainly worked. Had to rip the LSV bracket off so that's a bit of a job to do and honestly it might be out with the tank to get to the bolts. Given that it's full at the moment I might leave it for the time being.

P1010724.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It does Gary. That's with both tanks full, water on board and the spare sitting way out back. Great job from Chris at FNB in a land far far away. They do speak an English of sorts. I made myself understood in the end.

I am considering going to get a charcoal grey wrap on the arches and centre of the bonnet. Just want to break up all that dull grey. Maybe arches and bottom of the doors.

Looks great chris that does look like a big lift 37, s soon then
What rear bumper you running? Frogs?

Blue wrap :think:

I'd say they've supplied the right kit for the job. Alright them foreigners really lol

BLUE? Hell to the power no. I am holding out for a real one of those Gary.

Yes it's a frogs but I got it uncoated, added the carrier and then had it finished.

37s? Not going to happen Stu. Been there and done that. This set up is just fine. These are 35's which suit the diffs.

Looking good Chris, it's well worth getting the spring set-up by their loadings, not just "I want a lift, and....".

Just a tip, if you do have the over-arches wrapped, make sure they remove them and wrap them properly, meaning into the seal strips, not just up to them. You may have to dig deep for new seating beading seal strips and maybe replacement clips, but it will be worth it. I'm not trying to "teach my grandmother..." or anything, I know you always do a thorough job, JMHO.

As for the LSV, have you any evidence that it's working? Before my lift, I had no issues with mine, nor after. But because of the lift, I thought I should do something. Instead of doing the job properly, I lengthened the tie/actuator bar to the LSV by the appropriate length of the lift height. I still have no issues with it, no premature rear brake lock-up, nothing. But I also don't have any evidence that it's working. I'm letting a sleeping dog lie at the moment, but I'm interested to see if you feel any change when you get the "new" one set up properly.

Although I'm lucky to have an 80 in "that" blue, the Grey is a great colour for an 80, and charcoal over-arches will set it off just fine IMO.

Credit to the job you're doing, matey :thumbup:

Last edited:
So it'll look like this one. Hmmm - now where have I seen this before??

Do miss that one still ...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422829192757.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422829192757.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 161
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422829208459.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422829208459.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 155
As for the LSV, have you any evidence that it's working?

Clive you know me by now. Are you seriously asking me that? I have seen better components on the RMS Titanic than my LSV. The LSV proportions fluid under brakeing. If it fails, then all it does is pump fluid to the back brakes regardless. Unless of course it's so f****d that it doesn't let fluid through AT ALL. I had no back brakes. I rather wondered why it was struggling recently. This is nothing to do with load under braking I'm afraid. I have had one in bits and now I understand it. It's really not what I though it was.

Gary that's a bit too black for me. I am thinking more charcoal so it would be light grey and dark grey. I recognise your old 80 though. Lekka.

They do speak an English of sorts. I made myself understood in the end.

Yeah right. After I asked for everything in writing and fed it through our intercontinental language transgobulator.
It came out saying "Dear Abby, I'm shy a few inches, can you help?" so I sent him some suspension......

:icon-biggrin:

Sorry mate, what? Can you type a little slower?

You want help with what?

I w a s S a y i n ........ Ahh forget it. The bus looks bonza bloke.

:icon-biggrin:

I think it would be a crying shame to wrap that it looks great as is and :think: searching for words of diplomacy :| show me a modern car with 2-tone paint :shifty:

Touche

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422872045059.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422872045059.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 144
Back