Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Sorry no. Not a clue. I've got some off cuts somewhere I think.

Well thank you. Been some time since this tread saw the light of day. Truck is still running well and waiting for its next adventure. Oh and Lincomb next month too.

What a thread!, I've just spent the last 4 nights reading it through. Lots of great work and advice passed on. Your truck looks great. Now time to start finding your other threads on the different modifications!
Cheers and well done!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Why thank you John. There are other mighty fine trucks on here you should check out too though. Mine's getting a on a bit now but still rumbling. In fact we're off on our travels again this week. Still starts on the button and pulls like a train. I think the key to doing a decent build lies in planning what you want, in advance, and building it to a really high quality. It's easy to scrimp on even simple things like jubilee clips; but don't. Buy the best fittings, cables, switches etc that you can find. I had to take some of the drawer system out this week to access something and it was great to see how everything was still in good order under there. Nothing had rubbed away, split, leaked or deteriorated. You really don't want niggly things going wrong when you finally get to use the vehicle. Basically, just don't bodge anything.

I got to see the Ghost in person for the first time, this year. What struck me was how simple everything looks when done properly and tidily.

No bunches of wires going in all directions, it all looks like factory-fit ...

Lovely :thumbup:

Factory fit. Hmm more like they'd have a fit in the factory if it looked like that! TBPH, my trailer has kinda taken over from the Cruiser in terms of satisfying the build-lust in me.

Why thank you John. There are other mighty fine trucks on here you should check out too though. Mine's getting a on a bit now but still rumbling. In fact we're off on our travels again this week. Still starts on the button and pulls like a train. I think the key to doing a decent build lies in planning what you want, in advance, and building it to a really high quality. It's easy to scrimp on even simple things like jubilee clips; but don't. Buy the best fittings, cables, switches etc that you can find. I had to take some of the drawer system out this week to access something and it was great to see how everything was still in good order under there. Nothing had rubbed away, split, leaked or deteriorated. You really don't want niggly things going wrong when you finally get to use the vehicle. Basically, just don't bodge anything.
good 80s just get better with age chris. I don't see the age of the 80s series as a negative. on the contrary..

I wasn't saying that about an hour ago when I spotted a fuel leak on the main filler pipe, went under for a look and snapped the frickin axle breather off in my hand! Arrrggghh, old cars. Who makes a metal filler pipe that get porous with age so it leaks when you brim the tank? It's only 23 years old FFS.

I agree with you Chris, a quality job starts with the planning and using quality components and sufficient time to complete it, not forgetting the skills to actually do the task.
On a side, Clive, you have a tidy truck too. I'm sure I'll find a lot more I like, so please everyone else don't be offended I haven't mentioned yours, yet :)

cheers

Chris, the filler pipe is a big problem with these 3.2 Shoguns, in turn allowing lots of nasty crap in the tank, slowly making its way to the injection pump,,and hey £1000 repair bill for the pump, new tank and filler neck. Not quite speaking from experience as my filler neck was fine but still had to get my pump done...

I agree with you Chris, a quality job starts with the planning and using quality components and sufficient time to complete it, not forgetting the skills to actually do the task.
On a side, Clive, you have a tidy truck too. I'm sure I'll find a lot more I like, so please everyone else don't be offended I haven't mentioned yours, yet :)

cheers

Kind words John, and thank you for them, but the truck isn’t half as “tidy” as I would like it to be. Sadly, I don’t make available enough time to spend on her, and if I’m honest, I’m not sure I have the skills. It’s not an Overlander, just a standard HZJ 80 that I’ve modded to be capable of some local off-road without doing itself any real damage.

Like most 80 owners, these trucks are addictive. I don’t even know what it is about them that gets into the blood-stream, but it does and I know I’m not alone thinking this.

There is no vehicle that I’d prefer to drive anywhere, road, motorway, grass, rocks or mud. We have another “city” car, but it just sits outside the apartment week after week with the battery slowly dying from lack of a charge, the 80 is my DD and I get withdrawal symptoms if I drive anything else, or we fly somewhere for a holiday or work away for any length of time.

I did a 6 week stint in Canada just before Christmas last year, and found myself thumbing through photos of the truck, alone in my apartment there.

How sad is that ? :lol::lol:

Back