Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Ok Clive put down your drink put your best glasses on it would be better if you'd READ the words not just LOOKED at the pictures?

Eh?

Ok Clive put down your drink put your best glasses on it would be better if you'd READ the words not just LOOKED at the pictures?

Eh?

It's been a long day mate, still like the idea though. :thumbup:

The 80 is such a dream machine, imagine trying that stunt on a 90! :lol:

Do you know Clive. Genuinely I very nearly said that. If only it were that easy on. 90

Nice mod. I get a little scrub now and again off road but not enough to be concerned about.

I don't know about a 90, but that mod has been going on for years on the IFS suspension on Suzuki Vitaras. Granted it's done for a different reason to do with fitting bolt on CV joints on both sides of the front diff, but it is often commented on the extra clearance that is afforded following the modification. You just need to keep an eye on how it effects the caster. It never ceases to amaze me how much and how often the smallest of modifications away from OE effects other aspects of a vehicle :)

Nice home garage modification though Chris :) :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been for a good spin in it today (wasn't it gorgeous?) and it drives perfectly. Remember I have a lift on already so a little change to the caster angle is a good thing. These big 80s can take 3" of lift with out any real issues at all. I did caster correction initially just so I wasn't stressing the prop unnecessarily, but it didn't drive like it was light at all.

Couple of bits today.

Thought I'd better drag the old RTT out and give it an airing. It hadn't wintered too bad really. Slightly damp but OK. Needed to jet wash the slime off the cover though. Still not sure about what to do here. RTT, hardshell pop up, ground tent, expedition trailer ........ :think: :think: :crazy:

P1010478.JPG

And then found a place for these that I picked up at the 4x4 show. Locating them involved much getting in and out. Simulated drinking, bending, leaning out of windows, holding onto grab rails and lolling on the arm rest. In the end, 'they' decided they liked them here

P1010479.JPG

P1010480.JPG

Job done.

Now I do and I mean do like those cup holders

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

They were from MUD. About £6 each? Maybe £8.

Today was National fit a compressor under your bonnet day.

IMG_0688.jpg

Actually I made that up. It's in May we all know that. But I'm keen you see.

So, first job was to knock up a bracket. Not quite up to Ben's factory standards yet, but hey it's functional. Gave it some galv and a lick of rattle black.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0689.jpgIMG_0687.jpg

It picks up of three bolts inside - hey, isn't not having ABS really good when you need some room under there!

Got the plate bolted in
IMG_0690.jpg

And the compressor on top.

IMG_0691.jpg IMG_0693.jpg

Got wiring to faff with tomorrow. The harness comes with two additional looms wired in to run front and rear lockers. Great if you want that but a PITA if you don't So I unpicked the whole damn thing and taped it all back up again. What a bind. The power cable is waaaay too long but you can't really shorten it. Plugs etc and fuses on each end. I cold chop a section out of the middle I guess. It's long enough to reach the spare battery from here so maybe I do that. I'll sleep on it. I have fired it up and it's very quiet indeed. I like it already. But not what you'd call cheap.

National yummy day, like that Chris!

I take it the air delivery fitting is in a temporary position for the moment... :think:

No, that is it. I am not having a tank this time Clive due to the output of this thing. It claims 6.3 cfm and max pressure of 200 psi. It has a pressure cut off switch and all you do is flip the switch in the cabin, plug in your airline into the top of the unit and away you go. I could come off the top with a tee piece and run lines fore and aft, but I am not going to. This truck is all about functional simplicity. I won't be airing down all over the place on this build. In fact given its probably life on tar, I may even get by without it. But for blowing up a tyre occasionally, it's open the bonnet, plug in and do the business.

Got the compressor wired in today. Well half of it. The power supply is all finished, but half the dash is still hanging out as I am laying in some cabling for other things and I want to do all of that in one go. So more on that as it comes together. But I couldn't resist rigging the switch up so that I could give the pumps a go. The first thing you hear is the fans kick in. Pretty neat having their own cooling system.

I pulled the core from one of the tyres and let it go flat. Now remember these are 315.70.17 = 35" They're a foot wide. So completely flat, core out with vehicle sitting on it. In 60 seconds the tyre was up and no longer visibly rising so if necessary, drivable. It took 2 mins exactly from flat to blow it to 30 psi and never even got warm, nor did it change note at all. Again, just remember the volume in one of these things. It's not the same as 285.70.16 getting to 30 psi. I'm happy with that. I think with a tank it would be quite a thing. It has it's own pressure switch in it so plumbing in a tank would only need plastic pipe. 10 minute job. Ish. It would also take the tank to 200 psi and with the cfm, replenishment would be pretty rapid. But I will sleep on that. It's an expense, weight and space I'd rather save. I can't see me blowing tyres up every five minutes.

Have they changed the spec on these a Chris? Mine fills my 2Gal tank to 150psi and then shuts off, it kicks back in when the tank pressure drops to 135psi.

Today was National fit a compressor under your bonnet day. I have fired it up and it's very quiet indeed. I like it already. But not what you'd call cheap.

I've got one of those compressors fitted Chris, but I don't find mine very quiet but then it is mounted under the drivers seat, Ooh Matron! the vibrations.

It's the same set-up as mine but I've only got a single ARB pump which is painfully slow on an empty 305mm tyre. Like you say, very useful for topping up and I use mine a lot for bicycle tyres which are literally seconds, of course.

I use a dash switch and plug-in trigger-line, works well and is always there to get me out of trouble. I do like that twin pump though, mine lacks volume shift, but pressure wise it's OK.

I'd love to install a tank, I'm sure it would be much better with some pressurized volume to hand.

I too have the same compressor but with a tank and find it great :dance: I have the best of both worlds as it is portable too but have been giving some thought as to if it should go under the seat or in the engine bay maybe in a smaller storm box and still retain some of the portability with the tank left on the car somewhere.

Im a bit of a naff as like to keep thinks shiny and new as long as i can.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370459976.756680.jpg

Warren, you could mount it where I have. I don't think you have ABS do you? Plumbing the tank would be child's play.

I looked at that set up in the box, but I want as many things as possible on the vehicle itself rather than as luggage

Paul, not changed the specs no. Maybe I'm just wrong but thought' I'd read it in the specs somewhere that it was 200 psi. I'll have a look when I can be arsed. Time for beer.

Nice work Chris. :clap:

I like the stretching the wheel base slightly idea. :thumbup:

The mark up is huge on those compressors, like 50%+. I've been trying to decide for a while whether to get one or not. My boss got me one in and its sat in the showroom at work waiting for me to decide whether to have it or not. I'm very tempted. :think:

Back