Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

Finiterex Jun 23, 2019

1. Finiterex

Finiterex Well-Known Member I am in uk

Map
    Hm interesting... need to check what the ironman is meant to be. What size tyres you running these days?

2. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Guru

Map
    305/70 R16 on about -35 offset 16x10

2 inch suspension lift is the limit for the 90 series because of the independent front suspension , you can go more but it just opens a can of worms because there's no easy way to lower the front diff .

3. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member I am in morocco

Map
    Steer clear of Milner’s bushes and UJ joints absolute garbage . I think the UJ I had from them lasted 6 months.

All my bushes are from polys from Roughtrax and perfectness exceptionally well for a fraction of the cost for Toyota. The ones on the rear axle have been on for 5-6 years of abuse in North Africa mostly off road so far.

4. Finiterex

Map
  5. Finiterex

Map
    Taking a look at roughtrax :)

6. Shayne

Map
    285/75 on 0 offset 16x8 no lift - drivable but it did rub sometimes

truck001_zpsa018694d-jpg.78197.jpg

7. Finiterex

Map
    Saw that one on a previous thread of yours ;)

Still contemplating whether i want the hassel of doing the body lift!

8. Shayne

Map
    Its not necessary the mrs 90 has those tyres on her 90 with a 2 inch suspension lift but her 16x8 wheels are a minus 35ish offset . Had to remove mudflaps and we all trim the metal seam inside the arch .

Just remembered 285/75 with a zero offset rim touched the chassis on full lock , IFS likes a big offset i've found .

9. Finiterex

Map
    Yeah sounds about right... might chuck some 30mm spacers on too... i never worry too much about the "it'll kill your bearings" thing... I kill bearings quicker than spacers can!

10. Shayne

Map
    You will kill yourself trying this is a light truck and uses the same bearings as an 80 i think , at least i never heard of wheel bearing failure on a 90 and i might have been on this forum 7 years .

11. Finiterex

Map
    Wow if it uses 80 bearings they are never going bang!

12. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member I am in morocco

Map
    Different bearings on the 90, there not adjustable like the 80 afaik

Finiterex likes this.
  13. Shayne

Map
    Sad fact is the 90 series is hugely underated its very capable and a lot more nimble than the 80 , front diff might be a weak point (certainly not strong enough to support a locker) but nobody ever went somewhere i couldn't follow .

Would i swap my 21 year old 90 for a brand new 120 - never , i could and i would ........ if they built something better than what i got .

14. Finiterex

Map
    It's pretty much why I've gone with the 90. It's a mate's old truck that he got for next to nothing a year+ ago, we knew it had some rot but it just needed to do a year or so. We limped it through the MOT by lashing up the rear axle and sorting the worst of the underside body rot but he finally decided a 9 seat transit was better for his job and sizeable horde of children :) I was so impressed with how the 90 performed off road (he's an outdoor instructor) and how bullet proof it seems to be (even more so now I know the rear locker didnt exist!!) that I decided to have it off him!

Shayne likes this.
  15. Finiterex

Map
  16. Finiterex

Map
  17. fbnss

fbnss Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
  18. Finiterex

Map
    Josh and Benjy have been mates since school :) I believe they're making a bunch of other together at the minute... I'll ask ;)

19. fbnss

fbnss Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Ah, I didnt know who Josh was!

20. Finiterex

Map
    Not a problem amigo :) I've known Josh for years but only found out he knew Benjy about two weeks ago! I've been drooling over Benjy's trucks for years!

fbnss likes this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter