Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

plus 2 inch pedders suspension and i think it was a 2 inch body lift , not sure 38mm maybe i just went with what was available on ebay .

Hm interesting... need to check what the ironman is meant to be. What size tyres you running these days?

305/70 R16 on about -35 offset 16x10

2 inch suspension lift is the limit for the 90 series because of the independent front suspension , you can go more but it just opens a can of worms because there's no easy way to lower the front diff .

Steer clear of Milner’s bushes and UJ joints absolute garbage . I think the UJ I had from them lasted 6 months.

All my bushes are from polys from Roughtrax and perfectness exceptionally well for a fraction of the cost for Toyota. The ones on the rear axle have been on for 5-6 years of abuse in North Africa mostly off road so far.

Steer clear of Milner’s bushes and UJ joints absolute garbage . I think the UJ I had from them lasted 6 months.

All my bushes are from polys from Roughtrax and perfectness exceptionally well for a fraction of the cost for Toyota. The ones on the rear axle have been on for 5-6 years of abuse in North Africa mostly off road so far.

Taking a look at roughtrax :)

285/75 on 0 offset 16x8 no lift - drivable but it did rub sometimes

truck001_zpsa018694d-jpg.78197.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its not necessary the mrs 90 has those tyres on her 90 with a 2 inch suspension lift but her 16x8 wheels are a minus 35ish offset . Had to remove mudflaps and we all trim the metal seam inside the arch .

Just remembered 285/75 with a zero offset rim touched the chassis on full lock , IFS likes a big offset i've found .

Its not necessary the mrs 90 has those tyres on her 90 with a 2 inch suspension lift but her 16x8 wheels are a minus 35ish offset . Had to remove mudflaps and we all trim the metal seam inside the arch .

Just remembered 285/75 with a zero offset rim touched the chassis on full lock , IFS likes a big offset i've found .

Yeah sounds about right... might chuck some 30mm spacers on too... i never worry too much about the "it'll kill your bearings" thing... I kill bearings quicker than spacers can!

You will kill yourself trying this is a light truck and uses the same bearings as an 80 i think , at least i never heard of wheel bearing failure on a 90 and i might have been on this forum 7 years .

Different bearings on the 90, there not adjustable like the 80 afaik

Sad fact is the 90 series is hugely underated its very capable and a lot more nimble than the 80 , front diff might be a weak point (certainly not strong enough to support a locker) but nobody ever went somewhere i couldn't follow .

Would i swap my 21 year old 90 for a brand new 120 - never , i could and i would ........ if they built something better than what i got .

Sad fact is the 90 series is hugely underated its very capable and a lot more nimble than the 80 , front diff might be a weak point (certainly not strong enough to support a locker) but nobody ever went somewhere i couldn't follow .

Would i swap my 21 year old 90 for a brand new 120 - never , i could and i would ........ if they built something better than what i got .

It's pretty much why I've gone with the 90. It's a mate's old truck that he got for next to nothing a year+ ago, we knew it had some rot but it just needed to do a year or so. We limped it through the MOT by lashing up the rear axle and sorting the worst of the underside body rot but he finally decided a 9 seat transit was better for his job and sizeable horde of children :) I was so impressed with how the 90 performed off road (he's an outdoor instructor) and how bullet proof it seems to be (even more so now I know the rear locker didnt exist!!) that I decided to have it off him!

Ah, I didnt know who Josh was!

Not a problem amigo :) I've known Josh for years but only found out he knew Benjy about two weeks ago! I've been drooling over Benjy's trucks for years!

Back